Installing shore power in a Hawk shell model with furnace option

sbollish

I am in the process of installing solar and battery charger upgrades including lithium battery in my new 2020 hawk shell. I purchased the propane heater option with no propane stove. I would like to install shore power as well and while pondering the prospect of drilling a large hole in the side of the camper, I noticed the nice 2 1/4th inch diameter holes conveniently already drilled into the top and bottom of the battery box, extending outside to the battery vent covers. I understand that these vents are required, in case someone were to install flooded lead acid batteries that outgas flammable (potentially explosive) hydrogen gas. From what I understand, outgassing is not an issue with AGM or Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries.

My question is this...
Since I never plan to use batteries the outgas, would it be safe and not unreasonable to use one of these battery vent holes for a shore power connection? My plan would be to install a 110 volt power distribution box with circuit breaker(s) inside the battery box.

I greatly appreciate any advice you can provide.

I used one of those holes to do exactly that, the RV plug fit perfectly. I have 2 AGM batteries so no out gassing, I also covered the other hole with tape from the inside.

Second that on also using that hole. Although I did relocate my battery out of that box. For the plug itself, use this. It fits in the hole perfectly and provides a weather tight exterior recepticale.

https://no.co/gcp1

Back
Top Bottom