Installing Solar on Old Grandby

BBZ

Hey All..
Thoughts on best spot to put a hole in the roof for the wires and how to run them inside the camper?

I have had a solar kit for install for a bit now, but nervous about the install... especially drilling into roof..

Thanks in Advance... any pics would be appreciated and words of encouragement...haha..

Hey BBZ... it did this in my Puma/Grandby recently. I put a hole in the roof as far forward and to the driver's side as I could, and mounted my solar/gland thingy there. That puts the wires coming in very close to the front roof lifter/support panels, and the wires tuck in behind that until they get to bed level, and then run behind the 4" high wood panel that is at the "Foot" end of our bed.

Make sense? I can take pics tomorrow if that helps. My build thread already has some pics too.

Vic Harder said:
Hey BBZ... it did this in my Puma/Grandby recently. I put a hole in the roof as far forward and to the driver's side as I could, and mounted my solar/gland thingy there. That puts the wires coming in very close to the front roof lifter/support panels, and the wires tuck in behind that until they get to bed level, and then run behind the 4" high wood panel that is at the "Foot" end of our bed.

Make sense? I can take pics tomorrow if that helps. My build thread already has some pics too.
Thanks, makes sense.. kind of what I was thinking.. curious how you built your rack on your roof? Where did you acquire the parts?

I didn't see any pics of the gland for the wires you used?

BBZ said:
Thanks, makes sense.. kind of what I was thinking.. curious how you built your rack on your roof? Where did you acquire the parts?

I didn't see any pics of the gland for the wires you used?
This gland will work
https://www.amazon.com/Link-Solar-Weatherproof-Project-Campervan/dp/B0111RNZDY

T slots were sourced from Lee Valley - WAY cheaper than thule.
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/hardware/jig-and-fixture-parts/61986-veritas-t-slot-tracks-1-4-20-thread

Roof rack is simple 1" square alum tubing attached to the t-slots with t-slot bolts.

BBZ said:
Hey All..
Thoughts on best spot to put a hole in the roof for the wires and how to run them inside the camper?

I have had a solar kit for install for a bit now, but nervous about the install... especially drilling into roof..

Thanks in Advance... any pics would be appreciated and words of encouragement...haha..
When I put solar onto my '77 Grandby I cut the hole to give me a straight shot down to my charge controller. Since I don't use the overhang for a bed the wires don't get in the way.

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/9972-renovating-sköldpaddan-–-1977-grandby-interior-build/?p=112332

Drilling the hole in the roof was the scariest part; took me a while to get up the courage to do it. Took it real slow - I was worried that the thin aluminum would catch and tear.

Back
Top Bottom