Insulating under flatbed tray?

kmcintyre

I've noticed on colder days, the floor area on my flatbed Hawk is cold. I was thinking about putting some insulation under the flatbed. I do have a "horse mat" pad (not very thick) under the camper (between it and the tray).

I was thinking I could put some insulation under the tray and keep it in place with some sheet aluminum, etc. but thought I'd see what others have done and used.

Thanks!

IMO, insulation between the flatbed and the camper would be easier (and more effective) to do. Does your camper have furring strips under the floor?

Even better might be under your existing flooring. When I redid my Puma, I put 1/2" rigid foam underneath, subflooring on that and then some luxury vinyl. Much warmer than my Hawk had been.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
IMO, insulation between the flatbed and the camper would be easier (and more effective) to do. Does your camper have furring strips under the floor?
I don't have furring strips under the flatbed camper. There is quite a bit of room under the flatbed tray. I'll have to try and take pictures as it'd make it more clear on what I'm thinking.

Our soft, warm, matching "hardwood" floor provides insulation, is easy to clean, and is easily removed. It's a floor my bad knees really don't complain much when I kneel down to check the tie downs. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08528CSH8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They won't last forever, but neither does a rug. You do have to raise the fire extinguisher 1/2", or even better, replace it with an Element.

Floor.jpg

Jack said:
Our soft, warm, matching "hardwood" floor provides insulation, is easy to clean, and is easily removed. It's a floor my bad knees really don't complain much when I kneel down to check the tie downs. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08528CSH8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They won't last forever, but neither does a rug. You do have to raise the fire extinguisher 1/2", or even better, replace it with an Element.

attachicon.gif
Floor.jpg
I've thought about using some of those interlocking rubberized mats on the floor (someone posted about those recently) and that would provide some easy insulation for sure. I'm just not sure if dirt, etc. would get in between the "joints" or maybe find a 1 piece rubberized solution.

The joints seal quite well. I did run a strip of red duct tape at the door lip, as dust, sand, and whatever liked to crawl under. It's real easy to sweep and mop (with a paper towel, in my case). It took about 2 hours to cut and fit with a utility knife and heavy scissors. You can remove it in a few minutes to clean under or for a water spill. Unlike a wet rug, you wipe it off, air dry for a bit and put it back in. You probably already carry duct tape on your trips. I pulled it out after 4 weeks of travel and there was some dust around an edge where I did not have a tight seal and one of the joints that had pulled apart a bit. Because it's pliable foam, you cut the pieces just a little oversize and the panel fits in snugly.

I'm not sure how long the floor will last (6 months, so far). I managed to damage the modified step on my Harbor Freight 2" receiver step so I was careful placing it on the floor. Heavy metal objects with sharp edges could easily tear the pads. On the other hand, it's easy to replace one pad.

We are on the road right now, having my morning coffee and my bare feet are happy.

Jack said:
The joints seal quite well. I did run a strip of red duct tape at the door lip, as dust, sand, and whatever liked to crawl under. It's real easy to sweep and mop (with a paper towel, in my case). It took about 2 hours to cut and fit with a utility knife and heavy scissors. You can remove it in a few minutes to clean under or for a water spill. Unlike a wet rug, you wipe it off, air dry for a bit and put it back in. You probably already carry duct tape on your trips. I pulled it out after 4 weeks of travel and there was some dust around an edge where I did not have a tight seal and one of the joints that had pulled apart a bit. Because it's pliable foam, you cut the pieces just a little oversize and the panel fits in snugly.

I'm not sure how long the floor will last (6 months, so far). I managed to damage the modified step on my Harbor Freight 2" receiver step so I was careful placing it on the floor. Heavy metal objects with sharp edges could easily tear the pads. On the other hand, it's easy to replace one pad.

We are on the road right now, having my morning coffee and my bare feet are happy.

Nice!!!! Thanks for the info!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom