Insurance for FWC eagle shell

larryqp

Hi everyone
We purchased a FWC Eagle shell and placed in on a Ford Ranger 4WD last April, I called my insurance agent and it cost me $250 for a year's insurance. $95 of that was for full-time coverage. We are full-time RVers and live in our motorhome full-time, (no other home or apartment) and we have full-timer's insurance on the motorhome. It's like home owner's insurance. The underwriters said I had to have full-timer's coverage on the Eagle, because we tow the Ranger/Eagle combination behind the motorhome and its with us all the time. That seemed like a rip but I bought the policy.

Well, I just got my renewal notice and now they want $400 to insurance the Eagle for this year. I'm thinking about not insuring it. This is in addition to the $750 per year to insure the Ranger.

What to people do?
Do you buy insurance for your FWC camper? If so how much?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Accidents happen in a heartbeat. Can you afford a 100% loss on the camper? I'd shop around for a cheaper rate or possibly a higher deductible,

larryqp said:
Hi everyone
We purchased a FWC Eagle shell and placed in on a Ford Ranger 4WD last April, I called my insurance agent and it cost me $250 for a year's insurance. $95 of that was for full-time coverage. We are full-time RVers and live in our motorhome full-time, (no other home or apartment) and we have full-timer's insurance on the motorhome. It's like home owner's insurance. The underwriters said I had to have full-timer's coverage on the Eagle, because we tow the Ranger/Eagle combination behind the motorhome and its with us all the time. That seemed like a rip but I bought the policy.

Well, I just got my renewal notice and now they want $400 to insurance the Eagle for this year. I'm thinking about not insuring it. This is in addition to the $750 per year to insure the Ranger.

What to people do?

Do you have a standalone policy for your camper, separate from your auto insurance? I had AAA Ca insurance when I bought my First FWC and it was added to my auto policy. It cost less than $100 / year in 1998. I currently have Geico and they too added my Hawk to my auto policy and it costs around $130/year. $400 per year seems like a lot since all they're covering is comprehensive and collision. The liability portion of your insurance is covered by your Ranger. If you have a stand alone policy for your Eagle you may want to find an insurer that will cover both your Ranger and Eagle on the same policy. Also, if you do have a separate policy for your Eagle, try calling your auto insurance underwriters (not you agent) and find out if you could have insured the camper on the same policy as your Ranger. If so, it is a rip.

larryqp said:
Hi everyone

What to people do?

Maybe you should shop around to other companies!.
That sounds like a LOT for insurance.
Frank

I would ask about adding the camper as additional equipment on the truck. A lot of times the full RV policy includes things you wouldn't need on the truck and camper but may want on the RV.

What state are you in? I sell insurance and that is what I would suggest.

Thanks everyone, I plan to call my agent today as well as Good Sam. I'll see about adding it to my truck policy as added value and see what Good Sam can do. I'm domiciled in Texas and all my vehicle insurance is with National Interstate. They have beed very good with everything for the last 19 years we have been on the road, until I bought the Eagle shell insurance. I use an independent agent that reps different companies, so I'll have them shop around for me. I also think that as someone said in an earlier post doing this by phone rather than in person may be the issue. So I'll try shopping in person as well.

I'll let everyone know how I make out.

I'm in the same boat. Just bought a fully loaded Fleet and figured I better insure it considering how much cash we shelled out for it. My insurance provider which gives me really reasonable rates on my vehicles wants $365 for a year! Seems really high.

USAA, it is insured under my truck insurance, no additional charge, on or off the truck. If you are ex-military you should check it out. jd

Well, I spent the morning calling My agent, and Good Sam. Got a comprehensive policy for $255/yr thru Good Sam with National General Insurance, had multiple quotes, some even higher than $400. We have an Eagle Shell, if we had a fully equipped Eagle with stove, refrigerator, furnace etc, Progressive would have insured us for $187/yr. So if you have a fully equipped unit give Progressive a call.

The policy I purchased covers $3000 personal effects, vacation liability and emergency expenses up to $750 per occurrence. At first I didn't think I needed the $3000 for personal effects, but then starting thinking about my laptop, my wife's iPad, two iPhones, camera, fly rods, waders, boots and suddenly it made sense.

Thanks to all of you for your facts and assistance. We leave on a one month road trip starting Monday, which includes the Overland Expo in Flagstaff, and some fly fishing on the San Juan River below Navajo Dam in NM.

We insure through Good Sam which is a group. They use National General Insurance. We pay $ 124 annually. Coivered Replacement $12,000 plus collision and personal effects. Been with them since 1986 and insure all our vehicles. Service has been fantastic. We have had one claim (not our fault). They have never raised our rates.

I have Safeco and in Idaho there is no extra charge for the camper. Safeco is a division of Liberty Mutual but with much lower rates.

After speaking with my insurance agent I switched over to Progressive. I'm still shelling out $300 per year with a $1000 deductible, but it's full replacement value.

Even though I have full coverage on my truck, only the liability extends to the camper. It won't cover damages. Agent told me that's true of most auto insurance providers.

Back
Top Bottom