Interesting comparo!

Squatch

1st let me say I haven't paid much attention to new vehicles in quite some time. So I really don't know what's out there.

Yesterday evening I went to the bank which shares a parking lot with an auto parts store. I park where they park their parts runners. I pulled next to a truck with a Bowtie on it and looked and said "What's that?"

It was a new Chevy Colorado. Nice looking HUGE truck. I had never seen one. I'm assuming that it's a new 2015. I did some research afterward. Cool thing was it was parked next to their fleet of older Colorado's. No comparison. I never cared much for the original. It kind of looked hacked together from spare parts to me. I thought the Taco's had gotten bigger. The Colorado is even more so. It dwarfs the older ones.

It's a nice looking truck. Not only that but it's the 1st new truck in a long time to actually catch my attention. I've never been much of a fan of domestic compact trucks.

This thing looks like a great platform for an Eagle camper. I saw a pic on the web with one carrying a Fleet. it looked good. I think the Eagle would be even sleeker and a great fit.

Dang thing has a tow rating of 7000 lbs. HMMM. Like all new vehicles the price is simply obscene. But compared to others not too bad. On average about $8k less than a 1500.

Might be a good platform for our campers. I just wish GM would get over their adversion to manual transmissions.

I drove the first one our local GM dealer got on the lot it was the loaded Colorado Z1 model. Drove very nice easy to handle in tight parking lots very quiet cabin. Interior was typical GM though. The top trim Colorado seats looked like the seats my Cousin had in his 87 Pontiac same with the gear shift in the center console.

The Canyon interior is much better done. I like the size! Its about the perfect size not huge not small. The V6 I drove is a car engine it was very short on grunt and you had to give it the beans before it felt like it could handle any sort of load. Like Vic I'm curious to see the 2.8L diesel the power is probably more in line with being a truck that will have hauling duties and the range/mileage would be nice for those out of the way locations.

A neighbor has the smaller cab style and said he likes it but the seats are not exactly comfortable he's sort of a medium sized guy he said any big guy would probably find it too tight after a while.

On paper at least the Colorado/Canyon is serious competition for the Tacoma. Fully boxed frame compared to the Tacoma's open C-channel; the 305hp V6 has a higher EPA rating than the 2016 Tacoma's 'Atkinson cycle' 278hp V6 (see here)—not to mention that very promising turbodiesel, which has a torque curve much more amenable to handling a camper.

I was running errands today and stopped at the local Chevy dealer to look at these. Nothing like looking at new cars to get you out of the notion of a new car!!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Some things I like and some things are the typical GM stuff I don't. As big as this is there is not much real interior room and I had to duck down to get in and out. That's a huge pet peeve of mine. Huge truck no headroom and a door frame like an igloo tunnel. GM seems to be the worst with that. Dealer told me they are selling them at sticker when I asked about a real price. I looked at the sales person and said "I'm an old man. I've bought lot's of cars and trucks and have never paid sticker and never will. I start at invoice price and work from there." Well that went over like a fart in church!
icon_biggrin.gif

Cars today irritate me. Price jacked up by foo foo fluff I don't want or need and I can't get the stuff I do want.

Squatch said:
Cars today irritate me. Price jacked up by foo foo fluff I don't want or need and I can't get the stuff I do want.
That's a good statement. And the "salesmen" don't know much about what you are looking at except the price they thing you will be stupid enough to pay.
Frank

Climbed around one at the Minnesota state fair. It feels about the same size as my 2012 Tacoma. I hate the wifi tech stuff it comes with but the diesel looks promising. As I was sitting in it, two guys walked up and said "why would anyone drive a truck that small". Sitting next to their full size trucks, it seems much smaller.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Back
Top Bottom