Interesting DIY idea.

There's a "my team is out of the playoffs so..." joke in there somewhere but I can't think of a good one...

I tried something similar with cutting board material (HDPE ?). Spent a lot of time bending it to match the curve of the bump bracket but because my era truck didn't have a centre hole in said bracket ,and I couldn't figure a way to drill one, I clamped it. Didn't last more than a few hours off road - twisted off. Centre hole would be an improvement, time will tell on this guy's tall version with rubber material.

What I don't get is what's going on with the bags vs springs ? Guy has air bags so assume is carrying weight yet in the pics there appears to be no load at all on them. Is this how air bags are to be used ? The guy wants more sway control so has made a mod to engage the aux leaf sooner, ok but couldn't he lower the pressure in the air bags, wouldn't that result in the entire leaf pack providing more resistance to roll ?

Or do you think he just doesn't want any drop in the body height from unladen to loaded ? Keeping the rear "stock height" as it were.

I would think bump stops (the real ones) probably have some "give". If you are using hockey pucks, you might as well use some stock alum or steel blocks. :)

I used Poly Jeep bump stops on my Ford, in place of the factory bump stops, when I carried a hard side camper on my F350. They did help a lot with the sway when the camper was on. They made it ride stiff when unloaded, since the overload springs were engaged in virtually all conditions.

One of the joys of getting the 4WC was being able to remove the air bags and return the bump stops to stock condition. I've sold the airbags but those bump stops are available ;-)

The hockey pucks have no give to them. And stacking three with a through bolt? They'll be at the side of the road real soon. Having an old jeep I'm well aware that some have used them for bump stops or body mounts. There just too hard. Even the poly is. The old timers in the know will tell you rubber is the best. The Jeep factory used pieces of old tire sidewall cut square for years in the body mounts.

Back
Top Bottom