Interior Heights Of Various Models/Years + "Four Seasons?"

Tim DP

I'm trolling the web for a used FWC or similar and am wondering about interior heights. I need a unit to fit a Ford Ranger SB, so I guess it has to be a FWC Fleet, Ranger, Ranger II, Eagle or similar. I was told the Fleet is 6 feet inside.
I am just over 6'4 and want a camper that is as tall as I am when popped up. I know the new models are 6'4, but when did this start?
Any other tall folks out there have have older small pickup models that they are happy with? Is a height mod reasonable? Thanks in advance.

Also, I live in CO and I am seeing a few "four seasons magnum" campers made in CO in the 90s out there - any connection to the FWC/Phoenix/Coyote/ATC dynasty? Thanks in advance!

There are quite a few other pop-up campers on the market, but none of the old ones for sale on CL are going to hold up like a well cared for FWC (my opinion).

Im pretty sure the older Phoenix/Coyote campers were wood frame construction ??

All of the FWC's are going to have the aluminum frame.

ALL older pop-up campers will probably show the wear & tear over the years, but just take a good hard look at them.

Check for leaks, damage, dry rot, smell & funk, mold, etc.

Trust your gut feeling on whatever you are buying.

======================================================================================

I am seeing a few "four seasons magnum" campers made in CO in the 90s out there - any connection to the FWC/Phoenix/Coyote/ATC dynasty? Thanks in advance!

That was great advice from Stan,

The questions I asked when looking at campers were:

1. Are there any stains, mildew or mold on the vinyl?
2. Do you smoke or travel with pets?
3. Are there any funky smells in the camper
4. Is there any damage to the camper?
5. Does everything work...stove, water pump, furnace etc...?
6. Are there any leaks?

The answers to those questions should weed out the ones you don't even want to go look at. As for height I have a fleet and I wouldn't even say it's 6' inside, maybe 5'11". I am just under 5'10" and with my flip flops on if I stand up straight and tall my head is touching the roof. My wife is my same height so it works for us but I have had two friends in the camper, one 5'11" and one 6'2" and they both had to slouch. There was a Fleet II model that I looked at while I was on the used hunt which is skinnier than the fleet, it's more like the width of an eagle or Ranger which was too skinny for my liking but it seemed like it might have been taller? Maybe Stan can weigh in on this and confirm or deny that.

I hope this helps.

Happy hunting!

P.S. On the old Fleets, a lot of them just had the floor pack screwed together and not glued and a lot of them were mounted to the truck by four bolts straight through the floor, no eye nuts and turn buckles. This resulted in a lot of them having the floor pack start to separate over the years. I saw a lot of used ones with the floor pack separating if you look under the couch and at the base of the bank of cabinets you can see it. It's not a deal breaker, you can pull it apart re-screw it and glue it yourself, it's just something to be aware of.

I went ahead and bought a used Fleet - the '81 that was for sale on Grand Junction CraigsList; got it for $700. It's missing the back of the couch, but is in outstanding shape for its age. One of the POs replaced the front lift panel with metal, and I wish they had done the rear as well - it will need it soon. Got it secured in the truck on-site, as the maiden voyage home was over the San Juan Skyway - Red Mtn. Pass, Molas Pass and Coal Bank Pass - one mile does NOT equal one minute in Colorado.
The low ceiling is an issue, and it is aggravating, but @ $10K+ for a new 6'4 tall model, I'll live with my $700 purchase just fine.
I can already tell I'm going to love my new '81 FWC, which is in far better shape than the '96 Skamper I let go years ago...
Here are a few pics from my first night off the Owl Creek Pass road.
_DSC2836WtW.jpg_DSC2835WtW.jpg_DSC2830WtW.jpg

Congrats on the camper purchase, Tim.

I have the couch back from my '08 hawk stored in plastic in my attic...taking up space. (someone else already snagged the fold-over mechanism) If it will work into your overall plan you are more than welcome to it.

mtn

Nice score, I like the blue trim. There is a guy in Basalt selling a 89' Grandby that I see every time I go up or down valley:

http://rockies.craigslist.org/rvs/1404386501.html

Hope it finds a good home...

We got an 81 fleet as well. Great condition...6 feet inside. just love it..
robbie

Congrats on the camper purchase, Tim.

I have the couch back from my '08 hawk stored in plastic in my attic...taking up space. (someone else already snagged the fold-over mechanism) If it will work into your overall plan you are more than welcome to it.

mtn

Excellent Mtn-High - I would be very interested in your extra couch back. I'll have to get up to Edwards sometime soon.
Let me know when you want if gone from your attic!

Thanks,
Tim

Excellent Mtn-High - I would be very interested in your extra couch back. I'll have to get up to Edwards sometime soon.
Let me know when you want if gone from your attic!

Thanks,
Tim

I can have it down in mere seconds, Tim....so anytime yer planning to head towards Happy Vallley/D-town on I-70 just drop me a PM. Glad you can use it!

mtn

Back
Top Bottom