intro: new guy with an older 4WC

telemike

just bought a 1984 4WC Fleet for $500 from an old guy up the road, and I'm having it mounted on my 2007 F-150 today - good condition for a 24 year old camper - fridge, stove, sink, heater, full-sized bed over the cab - looks a bit ghetto, because it's narrower and a few inches longer than my truck bed, and it's bumped up with blocks to get it over the side-rails of the bed - pics to follow

sort of a project, I guess - I need to add a battery, and I'd like to incorporate solar into the system - we'll use it a lot for ski trips, mostly backcountry trailheads, so I'd like to maybe replace the liner and add the Arctic Pack

might be asking for some help as I work on some of this

anyone want a used Coleman Porta-Potty? FREE!

congratz' on the new purchase

I would love to see pictures once you get it on the truck ?

from all my experiences, there is no way that camper is supposed to fit on your truck (just too wide !) curious as to how it might shake out ?

see general camper fit guide here ...

Four Wheel Campers built before 1990 will Only fit ..

Chevy Trucks built in 1988 or older

Dodge Trucks built in 1993 or older

Ford F-150 Trucks built in 1996 or older

Ford F-250 / F-350 Trucks built in 1998 or older

You've just got to bump it up a few inches in the bed to get it over the side rails. The guy I bought it from had it on a series of trucks - the last being a 2005 Chevy Silvarado. It will sit on 4" of lumber, and be bolted into the frame of the truck. I'll probably end up building a wood platform/storage box for it to sit on, or maybe even have one made out of steel. The shop couldn't get it done today, so pics will have to wait...

biglines_85443.jpg

just rolled in....

Looks to be in great shape for a 24 year old camper, you got a great deal, looks like it's a Fleet model, more pix please.

Looks good. Add some trim and no one would ever know it wasn't supposed to fit that truck. I"m amazed how little cab clearance you have. Very nice.

It'll get better.

Once I build the box and trim it out, I'll have storage galore - and like you said - no one will ever know...

For the price and distance you can't go wrong.

That's a great deal. The overall width looks perfect. I look forward to more pictures and to learn how you use that 4 inches between the camper and the bed.

ah, that makes more sense now that I see the actual camper.

The Fleet Model is quite a bit narrower than the old Grandby's.

For some reason I was imagining an old, wide Grandby trying to get squeezed into the back of your truck.

The Fleet Model looks really good on your truck.

Congratz' on the new purchase.

Happy Camping

Very nice, it looks like it fits nicely. Does everything work on it. Stove, refer, heater, etc? Nice buy.

stove works

sink works

fridge was a bit dodgy (poof! flame! yikes! a few times) the first time I lit it, but a full tank of propane made all the difference - keep food cool enough down on the S. Fork American River at 100+ temps last weekend

I do not have a battery to run the heater fan yet, and it's too damned hot to even bother right now, but the previous owner said it works fine - judging by what I have seen so far, it should work just fine

Congrats, looks good.

I'm another one curious about the storage box.
I can imagine a drawer with a full length slide out, man that's a lot of storage. Some of the BIG Diesel RV's have drawers in the basement that have slides 8' long IIRC. I haven't been able to find a source for the slides, yet.

EDIT: Found the slides, up to 90" and load to 1000#
http://www.kwikeeproducts.com/Acargo.html

Oh the memories………Right TT.?

We had the same camper and about that same year. Just remember about the screen on the back window if you run the heater. The door opens to the vent.

Back
Top Bottom