Invasive shrubs

WjColdWater

With lots of time on our hands these days thought I would share these pics. Spring and fall these invaders have to be dealt within our CRP plot. The main enemies are Russian Olive, Multiflora Rose. They are brought in by birds and mammals that eat their seeds. Left unchecked they will inundate native habitats very quickly. We follow the USDA required plot maintenance schedule by using controlled burns and spot eradication of invasive species. Controlled burns are a great management tool but it will not kill these woody invaders. I’m reluctant to use chemical methods for eradication so old school is my choice. Our plot of six acres is fairly easy to patrol for invasive plants.
B17563-A2-3327-4-DA6-B33-E-2-F0-CAE3-B556-A.jpg

One year old Russian Olive.
37534798-D2-E3-42-D9-8-FE8-270-F13792-F2-B.jpg

This Olive probably sprouted early last fall. Less than two years old they are pretty easy to remove with all the roots intact.
2889273-E-BCE3-4539-921-B-019-BE84-F8-F4-D.jpg

One year old Multiflora Rose.
1-DD5-B1-CD-704-F-431-E-A711-E3-E6-B4-B71940.jpg

Rose tap roots are very hard to remove intact. They are very long and hard to remove in their entirety. If they continue to be a return problem then the chemical option would be warranted.
439-A7-BD6-B329-4602-A2-A8-7-BF4-CF045628.jpg

This invader is a Native American Plum brought into the plot by a mammal that consumed plum fruit with seeds. It still is required to be removed from this section per our CRP contact.
BB625604-3-B9-B-40-F0-8497-31-C8-A95-F6-F61.jpg

Always mindful of ground nesting birds. Redwings picked this invader a American Plum that will stay until they finish.
74-D64-AC4-8688-4-C55-A416-D55-D4-DF09-C88.jpg

Specialty equipment required ankle fit hip boots (tick protection). GPS guided tree spade. :D Just getting out to do anything these days is therapeutic. Be safe all!
Wayne

Hey WJ, I'm enjoying your nature posts :)

Minding six acres should keep you busy. Did you remove that plot from production or take it on as a new project ?

Living in the city i wasn't aware of CRP plots until now. Sounds like a lot of work. Past couple years some invasive weed has moved in that just laughs at Roundup. Maybe time to try propane torch (safe enough here).

klahanie said:
Hey WJ, I'm enjoying your nature posts :)

Minding six acres should keep you busy. Did you remove that plot from production or take it on as a new project ?
Thanks! It was in production for years from the original farmer. We purchased the site for us to build our last retirement home. I new nothing about CRP programs but, I knew we didn’t want keep it in row crops. So the local USDA/NRCS personal guided us through the options. We settled on a mixed habitat 6.1 acres of native forbs and grasses, 1 acre of hardwood trees and one acre of native shrubs. After approving our application we planted seven years ago. The contract expires in three years, hopefully we can re-up for another ten.

craig333 said:
Living in the city i wasn't aware of CRP plots until now. Sounds like a lot of work. Past couple years some invasive weed has moved in that just laughs at Roundup. Maybe time to try propane torch (safe enough here).
Propane torches are the tool for a controlled burn. Quads with tank sprayers and 911 just in case. :)

Hats off to folks with the desire to stay with this sort of work. I used a "Weed Wrench" extensively one weekend pulling Tamarisk out of a tributary of Jawbone Cyn. Looks like those are out of production, but one of their people has started making them again under the "Uprooter" name.

https://www.theuprooter.com/

ntsqd said:
Hats off to folks with the desire to stay with this sort of work. I used a "Weed Wrench" extensively one weekend pulling Tamarisk out of a tributary of Jawbone Cyn. Looks like those are out of production, but one of their people has started making them again under the "Uprooter" name.

https://www.theuprooter.com/
That’s a neat tool!

It worked well, and on up to surprisingly large trunk sizes. Probably helped that we were working in a dry stream bed with not a lot of soil in its composition.

I’ve used something similar up near our cabin for the Silverthorn, but those roots are usually intertwined with rocks. Whew, a good workout! My wife says no to pulling the Scotch Broom, she likes the flowers!

Thanks for preserving the land. Do you allow bird hunting on your property? My FIL is originally from Kansas and says there can be an increase in native birds under this program.

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
I’ve used something similar up near our cabin for the Silverthorn, but those roots are usually intertwined with rocks. Whew, a good workout! My wife says on pulling the Scotch Broom, she likes the flowers!

Thanks for preserving the land. Do you allow bird hunting on your property? My FIL is originally from Kansas and says there can be an increase in native birds under this program.
I have been retired from hunting for many years. We have a limited population pheasants and quail in the area. We enjoyed watching a ringneck this morning in the rain. So this farm is a no hunt operation. We do have plot tours with the local USDA/NRCS for landowners interested in CRP programs. Thanks for the compliment!
Wayne

Back
Top Bottom