Inverter or no inverter on new Bobcat build

gary515

Hi guys. I am into the second week after placing my Bobcat order. I have made a couple of changes. I deleted rear wall steps and LED lights. Have added a fantastic fan and the clear slider on screen door.

I have been talking to Marty about adding a 300 watt pure sine wave inverter. He has been very helpful and patient with me. It took me a while understand the difference bet inverter and converter. I am having camper wired for shore power, a solar plug and it will have a converter for 110 to 12v.

Questions:

1. Do you think installing an inverter is a good idea. I thought it would be useful to use a laptop, charge phones,
maybe run a microwave for a minute or so. Possibly a small TV. Will use 100W solar panel to charge battery.
2. Inverters have a cooling fan. Are they noisy? They have on/off switch, I assume I would only turn On the inverter
when 110 is needed. Is that correct?

Thank you for any replies. This forum is so helpful for us Newbies.

A 300 watt inverter won't run a microwave. Do you need one? No. Is it nice to have? Yes. Almost all your stuff you will be able to charge from 12v or less (usb). Have them put in the outlet and then do the rest yourself later when you can afford a larger unit.

I added an inverter next to the battery where I can get to it any time.I use it to charge things and to run the coffee grinder .It's only a small 150w unit but it works fine for my needs.There is no noise from it(no fan)and it does have a on/off switch.I also carry another portable one in the truck to charge things while driving.
I got real spoiled with the inverter idea with my Escape hybrid.It came with a 120v plug in next to the shift lever.Very useful.
Frank

Thanks for your replies. I have decided to NOT install an inverter. The camper comes with one 12 volt plug and I will charge my phone, etc. on a portable plug in charger off the battery. Hopefully I will be able to keep the battery topped off with the solar panel.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom