Is A FWC By Definition A "Camper" In Oregon?

Wallowa

Double Ought
With all the discussion about overweight trucks [1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton] and associated questions concerning registration of FWCs [ that thread reminds me of the never ending oil threads! :)] I decided to check out what Bigfoot mentioned that he did not need to register his FWC in Oregon since it was a pop-up. So I Googled "camper registration in Oregon".

The Oregon DMV definition of "Camper" for registration purposes includes a requirement that the camper must be "5 feet and 5 inches in height or more from the floor to the ceiling at any point". That is a minimum of 65 inches in height; my Hawk is 59 inches plus another 2 inches at the very most for solar panel on Yakima tracks for a total of 61 inches. The Hawk does not meet the requirement for being classified as a camper in Oregon.

Hmmmmm....is a FWC in Oregon not a Camper?

Has anyone bought a FWC in Oregon [Oregon residents] and not paid any registration fees?

Not trying to stir the pot....BUT I feel over-regulated and taxed already. :ninja:

Thanks,

Phil

I'm an Oregon resident, and my FWC Hawk is not registered -- because of the reasoning you mention above: It's not tall enough. I've checked the DMV website more than once to confirm the wording of the regulation.

In the 10 years I've had it -- all those years without a plate on it -- no cop has ever stopped me to tell me my reasoning was wrong.

FWIW, to be accurate: The justification for not registering my 2005 FWC Hawk isn't "because it's a pop-up". Registration is not required because its height is less than 65".
A pop-up that was taller than 65" when down would still have to be registered.

Bought mine in Oregon and I've never registered it. I know others who are in other states as well who never registered theirs either.

Sorry I missed the previous threads...will do a search next time! Ignorance is bliss but annoying!

Thanks,

Phil

Other laws state registration is required on any pop-up camper that is a slide-in unit and has a floor.

Weird they conflict.

But any popup camper dealer selling campers in Oregon will require you to register the camper, pay the fees, and get a license plate for it.

Used campers / private party customers usually don't bother, as inforcement never seems to happen.

Stan@FourWheel said:
.... But any popup camper dealer selling campers in Oregon will require you to register the camper, pay the fees, and get a license plate for it.
The rest of my story: When I bought my camper (new, from FWC) I registered it with Oregon DMV and got the plate.
That plate is still in the delivery envelope, never mounted -- in mint condition.
:D

Whoa Stan!

Oregon DMV does not require registration but the FWC dealers in Oregon do? "But any popup camper dealer selling campers in Oregon will require you [us] to register the camper, pay fees, and get a license plate for it."

Dealers do not require registration only the state of Oregon can require registration.

Disconnect here, what did I miss? My Hawk does not qualify as a camper under the DMV definition of what campers need registration. The height is not over 5 feet 5 inches; hence it does not meet the camper definition.

Hope I misunderstood what you posted. "Other laws"? What "other laws" require registration of "any popup that is a slide-in unit and has a floor"?

OK...my head is really spinning now. I will research future, but something is amiss.

Phil

Ref: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages/vehicle/trailer.aspx

Ps....Correction "5.5 feet in height'; I miss read it....."66" not "65"....every inch counts! :D

Yep Jeff had me register mine. License plate is somewhere in the camper but no plans to mount it or renew it.

Figured it might just be a requirement of the dealership or Oregon for selling it as a new RV or...?
Either way I didn't see it as a big deal. Probably a good thing to have for the future.

Choose your battles.

After reflecting and considering my tender age, I only have some many battles left in the tank. Stan and Jeff are between the rock and the hard spot.

Oregon in its draconian wisdom mandates whatever it deems will generate money or further some feel good agenda. As always the 'Golden Rule- Mod2' applies; the man with the gold rules. Fine, that is factual and to deny it is counterproductive and takes away precious time from things that do matter.

So Jeff, charge me the registration fee and that will get Oregon off your ass and keep FWC in good graces with the powers that be.

I will pay the fee and move on. Ain't worth the hassle. Just don't mount the damn plate! :) Sorry to stir the hornets nest.

Phil

I think the best reason to register the camper is to give you a replaceable title to the camper instead of just a paper certificate of origin. Makes it much easier to sell or trade the camper in the future when the time comes for that upgrade. Especially true if the new owner is buying with a loan.

Paul

My camper is a Hallmark purchased in Colorado, not a FWC, although the registration should be determined by the state where the owner lives.

Both a pop-up and a truck camper are defined by statute as recreational vehicles, but height is one factor in determining if it needs to be registered. My guess is that your dealer either does not understand Oregon practices or got incorrect info from someone they asked. There is a slight possibility it might have something to do with California bookkeeping where the camper is made. Ask the dealer why they think it needs to be registered. I would not be surprised if the answer is, "We've always done it that way."

Note: third attempt to post because of the "Cannot Determine IP Address" error which I have never seen on any other forum. :oops:

"Cannot determine IP address" block has been around on the forum for sometime...not being a techie, I don't have the slightest idea what it means; other that it stops some posts which can be re-entered.

Phil

Do FWC's (or any other brand for that matter) even have a license plate holder and light?

I don't recall ever seeing one but I'll admit I never looked for one.

License plate holder and light? Good observation. To which I reply:

"License plate? We don't need no stinkin' license plate!" :ninja:

Phil

FWIW - If you're financing a FWC then you'd likely have to register it since the lending institution will want and require a title. A dealership may want to have you pay for registration so it generates a title even if you pay cash probably because most people would expect a title of some sort vs just keeping the MSO. If it aint required, I don't need it.

Jeff will have you pay the title/registration. Your license plate will arrive a month or two later and you can use it for target shooting.

Ace,

You are reading my mind! It will meet an ugly death; then be displayed proudly in my shop.. :mad:

Phil

Thought I would post this for future reference for our customers.

I learned a few things from it too. : )

Details are posted below from our dealer in Oregon about registration on a pop-up truck camper in Oregon.

It also sounds like a dealer can provide a customer with the original sales paperwork and the original "Manufacturer Statement of Origin" (MSO) and you (the customer) can do the registration & licensing yourself, or not.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

FWD:

So in an effort to get an answer to the question of “Do I have to register my camper?” I have spoken to an investigator with the Oregon DMV. He reached out to several others to confirm the requirements to register the camper. Here is what the Registration guideline says, and what the investigator said about it:

[SIZE=8.5pt]A camper is a structure that:[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8.5pt]Has a floor; [/SIZE][SIZE=8.5pt]Yes, the FWC has a floor.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8.5pt]Is designed to be mounted upon a motor vehicle; [/SIZE][SIZE=8.5pt]Yes, it is mounted to the motor vehicle[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8.5pt]Is not permanently attached to a motor vehicle upon which it is mounted; [/SIZE][SIZE=8.5pt]No, it is not a permanently mounted camper (which would make it a motorized RV)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8.5pt]Is designed to provide facilities for human habitation (permanent sleeping and cooking facilities); [/SIZE][SIZE=8.5pt]Yes, It does have sleeping and cooking[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8.5pt]Is 6 feet or more in overall length; [/SIZE][SIZE=8.5pt]Yes, the total length is greater than 6’, it includes the cab over sleeping area for purposes of DMV[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8.5pt]Is 5.5 feet or more in height from floor to ceiling at any point; and [/SIZE][SIZE=8.5pt]This is the sticking point…Yes it is according to DMV, it can be opened and thus makes it over the 5.5’. I spoke with him concerning the height when down and traveling, he said that because it says from “any point” that makes it over 5.5’[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8.5pt]Has no more than one axle designed to support a portion of the weight of the camper. [/SIZE][SIZE=8.5pt]Yes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8.5pt]Campers are measured from the extreme front to the extreme rear of the camper body. Any fraction of a foot in length is rounded down to the nearest foot. [/SIZE]

. . .

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Stan,

Thanks. Since I am the customer in question and Jeff has been super through this let me give a parting comment or more precisely a copy of part of an email I sent in response to the "interpretation" of the definition by the DMV Investigator. Modified a little from my original email.

"When the statue states that a requirement is a measurement from the ceiling "at any point" the logical meaning of 'at any point' is that it refers to the "floor to the ceiling at any point" [while] when measuring that distance. The Investigator's interpretation that "at any point" refers to a time when it is measured and not a point of measurement is absurd. The sentence structure clearly shows that "an any point" modifies the measuring/measurement. This bafflegab to not change a position but obfuscate it reminds of someone once asking for a definition of "is". It is not at any point in time but at any point between the ceiling and the floor."

This has become a moot point as FWC and Jeff have both done take the correct position of letting the owner decide if or when they choose to register their FWC in Oregon. The act and cost of registering was merely done by the FWC as a courtesy to the new owner of the camper and not because it was required by law. Bravo to you both and thanks.

Over and out.

Phil

Back
Top Bottom