Is solar worth it?

DonC

I bought a new FWC 2 years ago with factory solar and 2 batteries. I have never been able to go more than 3 days without the fridge stopping because of battery drain even with full sun and driving 2 - 3 hours per day. I throw food out on every trip and have seldom used my lights or any accessories. I took time off work to take it to FWC, who found nothing. I've taken it to American RV, the new distributor in So Cal, 3 times, involving 6 Saturday mornings, and 2 weeks of rental cars. The first two times they did find issues with the factory install which they fixed, but had no effect. Now they are installing a second bank of vents and giving me two new batteries.

FWC has been good through all of this and all work has been done through warranty. But I am two + years into owning this and feel that I have never taken a normal trip where I've been able to enjoy using the camper and all of its accessories. I look at the voltage every stop.

I'm not convinced that this next step is going to solve the problem.

I never camp at a campground. If I can see someone I find another location. Should I expect to be able to go more than three days given that I almost aways have full sun and drive 2 - 3 hours per day? If not how do you deal with it out in the boonies where there is no place to plug in and recharge?

It seems that many here fight their solar and do lots of DIY upgrades. Should that be necessary above and beyond a factory install? Is it worth the hassles? Do people keep spending money and time trying to make solar work because it's "cool" to have solar? I had never had a camper/RV when I bought this and with the sales story and the great added expense, I thought the solar would work, and I thought it would be cool too. I'm considering switching to propane if this next "fix" doesn't work. Why don't more people go with a propane fridge? It seems to be much cheaper, you can go weeks, and it "just works". Is there something I don't get about solar vs propane?

I have a Waco CR 65 with 100 watts on the roof and a 120 watt solar in a bag. I just did a trip down 395 to southern Cal. I only used the solar in the bag on the 3rd day to see if it would raise my volts, still above 12v. I know if I did not have full sun I would need the 120 watt panel to stay in one place more than 3 days. I had propane and it did not just work for me. Frozen food, flame blowing out and just stopped working for a few hours.

How many amps does your fridge draw? Are you getting enough charge to fill it and charge the batteries?

Your installation is the same vintage as mine. We picked the camper up in December 2012. We have a 90W solar panel & 110L compressor fridge. FWC also had to redo my installation with top & bottom exterior vents. My main problem was high ambient temps and the fridge running almost continuously. If I sit without running the truck, I can go 6 to 7 days before killing the batteries. If I'm driving the truck that much everyday I can go indefinitely. That said I do think the solar panel was undersized and would be much better off with 150W or larger.

I plug in before leaving on a trip to cool down the fridge and make sure the battery is topped off. I also make sure I'm loading the fridge with already cold items.

Is the truck charging to batteries when running?

I feel for you, but there are factors that play in your frustration with solar. What size solar panel and battery capacity do you have, compressor vs. absorption refer (compressor draws much less energy), wiring...you have to play the numbers. If you have a small system then you have limitations.

billharr said:
I had propane and it did not just work for me. Frozen food, flame blowing out and just stopped working for a few hours.
Just a short note to defend gas. First two and three way units are used throughout the industry. I am eating frozen salmon from mine now in CA that was caught in BC three months ago. I use gas when not on AC and never use DC. Having traveled thousands of miles at highway speeds on gas is not a problem, no flame outs. The only downside is the need to be <6deg fore and aft and <3% side. I would never camp outside these tolerances and the only time it is an annoyance is when finding a place to park while fishing.

This is not a hi-jack as there may be new buyers considering their options.

I have also had good luck with gas. The only time I have had any trouble was one time I was in the mountains and could not get level. The fridge stopped working. ANother time I didn't pay attention to my propane and I ran out. That was not the fault of the fridge. I had mine running on gas and AC from the middle of September to the last of October and the stuff in the freezer stayed frozen the whole time.

For me solar is totally worth it! I have an Isotherm 65L fridge and two group 31 batteries. Before solar I could run for about three days without charging but then I'd need to drive somewhere, In August I installed two Renogy 100W panels with their controller, since then I have been able to leave the fridge on full time and the batteries never dropped below 12.2V, never switched over to charging from the truck again,

I like being able to keep some staples in the fridge all the time. One less thing to have to remember when I'm getting ready for a trip.

I use a 100w Grape solar panel from Costco. My charger is a Sunforce 30w connected to an Optima blue top. I have and ARB 47l that's on 24/7. I won't drive my truck for weeks at and time. The one time I had a issue with the batt is when I had a corroded faulty connection on the roof. I replaced it and it works perfect.

Either the solar panel does not work or power is going somewhere it should not. Is there an electric hair dryer around, do you have AC in the camper? are you parking in the shade? We have gone for several trips of length 4 weeks or longer and never had a problem getting enough power from our panel(about 80 watts). We avoid all campsites that have plugin power. One summer we lost connection to the truck generator and had to depend entirely on solar. We were running an Engel in freezer mode. Also we are on the East coast and see a lot of rain.I do find it useful to have a volt meter wired into the system so I can always see if the panels are charging or if the battery is low. A few times that has let me fix a problem before it drained the battery. I monitor the performance constantly - otherwise the gremlins get busy.
I am not pleased to hear that FWC isn't all over this problem. If they sold you the full system they should know it has to work.

NorcalHawk - the system was engineered, built and installed by FWC. I would hope that they know about all the factors that you list. Reading the threads of the very smart and creative people here about what they are doing with solar makes my head spin. I am out of my league and that's why I paid FWC to install all this stuff.

Hittheroad - hair dryer and AC? I don't even use the LED lights. Most of my trips are in the desert so 99% time in the sun, several hours of driving per day. If your batteries are low how do you "fix a problem" on the road, other than turn the fridge off?

FWC told me that driving does little to charge the batteries. I believe it. After 3 days in Death Valley last weekend, full sun and driving each day, I drove 4 hours home in the sun and my batteries were at 11.7.

I always plug into 110v the night before, turn on my fridge, and only put in pre cooled items.

I have 2 refrigerators in my rig, gas and 12volt comp and I like them both.The gas fridge is loaded with frozen stuff.It will keep stuff frozen as long as the ambient temp is not too extream.That means mountains in the summer and the desert in the winter.I use my 12v fridge for other stuff that I dont want frozen.It does have a tiny freezer.The 12v fridge is easier to regulate temps.A 100 watt solar panel three 75ah agms and a DC to DC charger keep my batteries happy usually never less than 12.4v .If you are draining your batteries to 12v or less regularly thier life expectency is severely shortened.There are alot of gadgets to monitor your batteries. The Trimetric,Wattsup meter to name a few, but a good understanding of 12v and solar and a cheap Harbor Freight multimeter will go a long way.

I agree, something must be amiss with your system.

I have 110L factory Waeco frig, dual batteries and a I00W solar in a bag: http://www.renogy-store.com/100W-Portable-Solar-Suitcase-p/kit-stcs100d.htm.

I am new to this solar thing but so far I'm impressed. On a recent eight day hunting trip my portable solar panel kept my batteries fully charged. Never started the truck once during that time and the batteries showed a full charge usually by noon depending upon cloud cover. In the afternoon I would usually switch to charging a friends cpap battery. I did "aim" the panel toward the sun about three or four times per day.

Temperatures were on the cold side, lows in twenties and highs in the fifties and other drains from the furnace and lights were minimal.

V1EcZfn.jpg

Yes something must not be right with your system.
Mine is very simple.
Two panels,60w and 45w,75 ah Interstate AGM battery,(the original to the camper)
I have a 3 way fridge plus a Truskfridge comp cooler.
We usually move around even if staying at a site for several days.
Just don't have any problem with my system. Although last year I found that my panels + wire ,where it goes through the roof
was shorting against the roof and blew the fuse. Couldn't figure out why the battery was running low.
Did a check of the system and found the short.
Fixed that and now no problems.
I installed a watt meter and that lets me see how the system is working.
So far so good.
Hope you get yours fixed without much more headaches.

Frank

Maybe the question to ask is "What kind and model of fridge is it?" The comment about two new vents got me to thinking Kilroy might be right. Running a 3 way on 12 volts is battery massacre, solar or no.

I can't answer the question about model of my fridge with my camper at American RV. It was an early year 2012 Fleet build with whatever fridge they used with solar, no propane option. Fridge with small freezer section. I'll post the specifics when I get the camper back next weekend.

I am envious of those that can just go camping and use all the cool accessories on their camper.

Don C

Solar is good-but it takes time to "learn" about it and how to use it. This year I've (like many) have had lots of posts here conserning solar, batteries, propane and frig's and learning by trail and error and lot's of help from friends and this site in my never ending battle to upgrade my 05 Granby with 1 batterry, no solar and a 3 way fig into a rig with 2 100 watt solar panel, a 110 frig/freezer and and all the learning that goes with it to make it all work. I'm an old backpacker and truck camper and learning how to use all these new wigits like batteries and such-like 3 days sitting in one spot-your bells and whistles start going off-need to recharge; 3 way frig-park it level and you soon develop strong thumbs and (if lucky) only two shop stops, to keep it working. Gee a chance to buy and install a 39 watt solar panel and my battery guage is now in green and yellow allot more than before-and gee, i don't need to get out of the camper on those cold mornings everytime i need to start the truck so the heater will start.

Upgrade to a 100 watt. solar panel and it's in the green most of the time-wow, things seem to be running great and life is great, so I meet Wandering Sagebrush up at the Sheldon and my 3 way blows up (see my thread here this summer"When I almost blew myself up" and I upgrade again to a CR 110 compressor frig/freezer and add a new battery and a 30 amp comptroller. Then you learn not to park with the frig in the direct sun and if it makes to much noise-just turn it down). Then I bring it all up to the ralley at Meadow Lake and my batteries don't charge and me and lawnmower man work on it all day on it and it works now. In a week or two, I head out again-oh yah, just added two new roof strut to help my old back.

Yep, I have no idea what will happen on that up coming trip-it's part of "Wondering the West" experience and for sure, good old Murphy will drop his law on you, so get ready and rememenber our # 1 law here-be propared, learn something new and enjoy :D !

Smoke

Donc,<br />Something is wrong and FWC should fix it. Make a stink and get to the president. Keep the rest of us informed. Who ever it was that told you driving does little to charge the batteries probably should be avoided. Unless your alternator is broken or way underpowered driving should handle everything until you are camped and not moving - until solar came along a few years back driving was the only thing that charged the battery. In Death valley solar cannot not work.<br />I am sorry you are having so much difficulty because the system ought to be painless.<br /><br />After 4 hours 11.7v means the system is not working. It could be bad batteries, bad charging or a huge drain somewhere (e.g. short or hidden load). Is the kill switch in the on position? Several times I have been fooled by hitting it without knowing I had. But to answer your first question solar is worth it and this situation is worth complaining about until you get to someone who can help you. Good luck.

I have had great luck with my 3 Way on my 2010 Hawk. I know some posters on this site have not had the same luck. When I park in an un level spot to do my business I just turn it off if I am away for a short period. Other than that I can usually find a level spot. 3 Way to me is one less thing to go wrong in the equation. Solar adds cost and potential for problems especially when you have to rely on it for all the extra energy hungry accessories.

I have one AGM battery in my camper and the standard light bulbs. I run the heater, fridge, and lights conservatively and can stay in one spot for about 3-4 days.

Solar is a very complicated technology that attention detail really counts when setting it up. One site that I have found very helpful is http://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/ . Grab several beers, its a long but informative read.

Some of the the topics he covers:
- Shadows covering the solar panels (even an antenna will severely decrease production)
- Small gage wires
- Charge controllers (and setting them up properly)
- Discrepancies between the battery industry and battery charging industry.

After reading Handy Bob's website I installed a Trimetric meter (http://www.bogartengineering.com/products/TriMetric) that keeps track of amps going in and out of the battery. This allows me to turn on lights/appliances and see exactly how many amps each one draws. Also allows me to see how many amps are being pumped into the battery via the truck or solar or shore power.

Note: The trimetric meter does not rely on voltage levels which are not very accurate but instead uses a shunt to measure amps.

Back
Top Bottom