Is There a Serial Number Registry for AK Campers?

Nailhead

basset hound
I bought an older 8’ NCO last week, one that is, to my memory, identical to the one my grandfather owned in the late ‘60’s/early ‘70’s.

Last night, it dawned on me that there’s a chance it could actually BE the one my grandfather owned, but obviously such a wild idea requires some confirmation. Is there a way to access original purchaser information by serial number?

Thanks for any help.

Why not post the serial number here and see what you find out that way. Remember that different factories made them slightly differently.

PackRat said:
Why not post the serial number here and see what you find out that way. Remember that different factories made them slightly differently.
I called Alaskan and was informed that their records don’t go far enough back.

My serial number begins with 769, and pretty sure my grandfather bought his well before 1969, so it was a fool’s errand anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can you post pics of the data plate and any other tags on it? While mine is a R.D. Hall from Sun Valley, CA and it seems many times they stamped Month/Year on them along with the serial number, I'm not sure about other builders. Perhaps others with similar tags can identify yours to a particular builder and there is always the off-chance someone has some original paperwork that is dated.

Sure, it is a longshot but you have only a few pics and a post and you might get lucky. If your number begins with "769" I doubt it was made at the R. D. Hall facility. I have found two data tags for that facility; one is #2903 dated 12/75 and the other is #12737 dated 10/75.

Maybe that 975 is the serial number for another factory but once the factory is identified, maybe the date can be established from there. Worth trying if you are interested....

We could start our own registry - my 8ft NCO is 1276-M. The "M" could be that it was built in Manheim.
Here's the original receipt:
alaskaninvoice.jpg

I'm not seeing any books on Alaskan Campers listed on Amazon, which is a pity. Does anyone know if there is an Alaskan Camper's Owners Club?

I have noticed, on Ebay, that various old Alaskan ads and brochures for sale, which suggests that SOMEONE might be collecting them.

That is a VERY cool old badge! Thanks very much for posting it.

There seems to be an Alaskan group on Facebook. But I do not, and never will, belong to Facebook.

Mine was built in Ft Lupton, which would be where my grandfather’s was likely built.

Tapatalk is being a little diva right now, and will not allow me to upload a pic of the data plate, so maybe tomorrow.

The number is 76909751, anyway.

Have you tried to trace down the ancestry of the new Alaskan you just bought to see if it goes back long enough or was owned by people out of state back then? Sometimes even the registration stickers on them or those decals from places it has been will yield clues to where and when it was traveling to.

I don't that much about the Ft. Lupton vendor but they can't have made too many of them I wouldn't imagine, at least not compared to the R.D. Hall factory in Sun Valley, CA.

PackRat said:
Have you tried to trace down the ancestry of the new Alaskan you just bought to see if it goes back long enough or was owned by people out of state back then? Sometimes even the registration stickers on them or those decals from places it has been will yield clues to where and when it was traveling to.

I don't that much about the Ft. Lupton vendor but they can't have made too many of them I wouldn't imagine, at least not compared to the R.D. Hall factory in Sun Valley, CA.
Well, like I say, I’m pretty sure he bought his earlier than 1969, because he bought his pickup in 1966, and my hunch is he bought truck & camper at the same time. I’m also pretty positive I can remember his in or before ‘69, so that argues against my original idea, too.

There are no decals or registration stickers on it, so I can’t pursue that lead, either.

Thank you for the ideas, but I’m content to let this whole matter rest until some evidence argues otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom