Island in the Sky & Canyon Rims NRA

Bosque Bill

Here is the last installment of my SE Utah trip. There is more story to this report and a few items of interest to us campers wandering the west!

Again, click on the photos for larger versions. I'm not real happy with the hues in some of the canyon photos. In trying to bring out the geological features of the views that were obscured due to the cloudy, hazy weather, I somehow lost the natural palette and couldn't seem to restore it. Oh, well, you'll just have to go see for yourself.

Bosque Bill said:
Here is the last installment of my SE Utah trip. There is more story to this report and a few items of interest to us campers wandering the west!

Again, click on the photos for larger versions. I'm not real happy with the hues in some of the canyon photos. In trying to bring out the geological features of the views that were obscured due to the cloudy, hazy weather, I somehow lost the natural palette and couldn't seem to restore it. Oh, well, you'll just have to go see for yourself.
Very nice report.

Thanks for the photos and report, Bill! Did you see MarkBC and Stew down on the White Rim when you were at Island in the Ski? Your Toy and camper would do fine down there--Mark and I did the WRT in full-sized pickups and campers.

Bill, thanks for the great report. Been making plans for the whiterim trail, torroweep, and back to glaicer this september and these pics and information are really helpful. Thanks. Mitch

mitch h said:
Bill, thanks for the great report. Been making plans for the whiterim trail, torroweep, and back to glaicer this september and these pics and information are really helpful. Thanks. Mitch
Been making plans for Torroweep and White Rim Trail but not as one trip. Skipped Glacier last year after Grand Teton and Yellowstone, but still have a reason to head back up that way.

Bill, not highjacking your thread but, hey jha6av8r maybe if timming is right, maybe some of us could meet up this fall at Torroweep or whiterim. Just a thought.

mitch h said:
Bill, not highjacking your thread but, hey jha6av8r maybe if timming is right, maybe some of us could meet up this fall at Torroweep or whiterim. Just a thought.
If I don't make a job change this summer a fall trip will be possible. Take a look at Expedition Portal also. There's a thread for a trip being planned to Torroweep the first week in October by a group of pop-up camper rigs.

FYI, regarding Torroweep, from http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/tuweep.htm:

Effective September 1, 2014, a backcountry reservation permit will be required for all camping at Tuweep Campground. Reservations can be made on the first of the month up to four months prior to a trip and will be accepted through the park's backcountry reservation system.

Visitors may also be able to obtain a walk-up permit, up to six days in advance and based on availability, by visiting Pipe Spring National Monument near Fredonia, Arizona or the St. George Public Lands Visitor Center in St. George, Utah.

Bosque Bill said:
FYI, regarding Torroweep, from http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/tuweep.htm:

Effective September 1, 2014, a backcountry reservation permit will be required for all camping at Tuweep Campground. Reservations can be made on the first of the month up to four months prior to a trip and will be accepted through the park's backcountry reservation system.

Visitors may also be able to obtain a walk-up permit, up to six days in advance and based on availability, by visiting Pipe Spring National Monument near Fredonia, Arizona or the St. George Public Lands Visitor Center in St. George, Utah.
Hmmm -- this is very interesting, thanks Bill.
On my last visit to Tuweep/Toroweap we arrived to find the campground full...so had to retreat to BLM land. Kind of disappointing -- after driving all that way from pavement...but not surprising, considering how cool a place it is.
With the reservation system folks will at least know in advance if they can camp there...and have a chance of guaranteeing it if they plan in advance and can be flexible with dates.
Of course, the downside is no spontaneity.

Back
Top Bottom