ISS Sightings

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
Now that we are on the dry side of Oregon, we get to see a few things that are pretty rare on the wet side. Tonight, it was the International Space Station. Amazing to think about humans skimming across the top of us at thousands of miles per hour.

Here’s a link to a site that helps you with dates and times for your location. It’s set for my area, just enter yours. Have fun.

About two weeks ago I saw the Starlink satellites going over. Many of them all equally spaced out. Quite the sight.

I managed to get this nice moon shot with the ISS :) 8 shots in just under a second :)

Attachments

• ISS 7 shot composite 3 2019 web.jpg
    ISS 7 shot composite 3 2019 web.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 96
That's a great shot.I have been watching the sky show for months as Saturn and Jupiter have moved
closer and closer.Sunday evening I got a great view but Monday's view was clouded over a bit.
Last night was another good night to view and was surprised to see how much Saturn had moved since Sunday evening.
Tonight the Moon should be just under Mars.
Great clear skies to watch things.

Might catch Santa streaming along.
Frank

It was cloudy here the 21st but I did get some shots on the 20th :)

Attachments

• Jupiter Saturn Moons 12 20 20.jpg
    Jupiter Saturn Moons 12 20 20.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 48
Washington State Parks operates a small observatory in Goldendale. They have a night program where you can look through the telescope at the different planets, stars and nebulas. Last time I was there a retired astronomer led the program and essentially gave the group a visual tour of our solar system and galaxy. I highly recommend it to anybody interested in astronomy. Oh and there is also a campground there.

https://parks.state.wa.us/512/Goldendale-Observatory

Vic Harder said:
Way cool. What equipment did you use for that?
Thanks Vic :)

That shot was taken with my D500 and a 1.7TC on my William Optics GT102 refractor which has a focal length of 702mm. I just had it on my tripod as the planets are much brighter than people think and can be shot at good speed. I was doing ISO 1600-6400 and speeds around 1/250 to 1/60. Don't recall the exact exposure on this one:)

I also did a few shots with the 200-500 F5.6 and the 1.7 but with planets the more focal length the better. They are big but very far away. I have a C6 SC but when I had that set up for the conjunction the skies were horrible so haven't done much with those pictures..

Back
Top Bottom