It's Here! 2023 Michelin North America Road Atlas -- SPRIRAL-BOUND

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
My favorite road atlas for many years, many editions. This 2023 edition of the Michelin spiral bound North America Road Atlas was just released today/yesterday, and I received my copy today.
IMG_20220502_192855.jpg

For turn-by-turn navigation help while driving, sure -- I use an app on my phone. But for browsing areas, looking for places to go and general routes, this is my favorite.

My previous/current copy is the 2021 edition. But 2 years of 5-month road trips, about 28,000 miles, has gotten it a little tattered, so I decided I deserved a new one.

Thanks for the heads up. I have a ton of AAA state maps but for sitting in the big chair perusing 'where next' and sussing out routes a spiral bound is the best. Happy planning.

What do you like about the Michelin Atlas that is better than the Rand McNally or National Geographic Atlas?
I'm looking for a replacement for my '05 RM that is falling apart.

I will add a note ...the page size is small so you better have a magnifying lens! small print! That is the only drawback for me... I see it as a planning atlas not a road atlas in the truck. Not bad to have along (as it is smaller) for emergency reference.

JaSAn said:
What do you like about the Michelin Atlas that is better than the Rand McNally or National Geographic Atlas?
I'm looking for a replacement for my '05 RM that is falling apart.
I like the Michelin spiral-bound for 2 reasons: The arrangement, order, of the maps in the atlas and the spiral binding.

Arrangement: Instead of the atlas pages being ordered alphabetical by state name they're arranged by geographical location. e.g., the page that covers northwest Nevada comes directly after the page that covers northeast California, and the page that covers southwest Arizona comes directly after the page that covers southeast California. Overall, the pages are arranged in a raster-like matrix covering the whole of North America. This arrangement makes a lot more sense to me, especially for interstate travel, since you don't drive through states alphabetically... ;)

Spiral Binding: This allows the atlas to open completely flat, and can even be folded around 360.

Regarding the text size: I think it's fine -- it's not too small for me. My 66-year old eyes have used reading glasses for a couple of decades, and I can read it easily while wearing my "cheaters". Michelin also publishes a version that has the same size/format as the others...but not with spiral binding.

Maybe look in a physical store (book or sporting goods) and see it in person to judge for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom