Jack Brackets

joez3

Advanced Member
I am going to be getting my truck painted soon, that means taking the camper off. I find that the camper jacks are mounted too far inward. If the truck isn't lined up perfectly, I end up scratching the paint, on the jacks. What I was planing on doing is going down to the hardware store and get some steel stock the same thickens as the current mounting bracket. Drill some holes in it so I can bolt this onto the current bracket and bolt the jacks on to my extensions. I was thinking of just making the extension so that the jack is just about 4 in further out.
Does anyone see a problem with doing this?

I made a set for my jacks out of 1/4" aluminum plate, much easier to drill out the holes and light weight, no paint required. Ron

Thanks, that looks like a nice cart that you have your camper on. Did you make that?

That'll work, I did it with a piece of 1/4 aluminum and it worked on my old Grandby with hydraulic jacks. I only needed to do it on the front to clear my wheels and tires, the rear was fine.

Rieco does make a number of swing out brackets and extensions for this purpose. DIY is cheaper but sometimes the time/money balance tilts the other way.

http://www.riecotitan.com/accessories/brackets.php

Before I picked up my camper I bought a pair of aluminum extensions from a member on here who was making them at the time. I Believe they are 5"-6" wide I copied them onto some steel I had and made those an inch wider for the front. They are now permanently on my jacks. They are needed to load the narrow Eagle onto my full sized Tundra.

@Joez3 The table/cart my dad picked up when they shut down a mill many years ago. I think it was used to carry sheathing for making plywood.

It's about 3.5 feet wide and 7 feet long. It is made from 2 inch (1/8"+ thick?) angle iron. Very sturdy. It sits high, about 3.5 feet. but that makes it useful to get in and out and work on the camper.

Here is a pic of my jack brackets if it helps.

001 (Small).JPG

Will standard steel plate, say 1/4 x5", from the hardware store be strong enough for the extension plates or should I be looking for a special type of steel?
Thanks

Outnabout said:
Will standard steel plate, say 1/4 x5", from the hardware store be strong enough for the extension plates or should I be looking for a special type of steel?
Thanks
I believe both ATC & FWC use aluminum. That’s what my Bobcat came with.

I know they use aluminum and that would be preferred but steel is cheaper and easier for me to source where I live. Also, I'm only using the things a couple of times a year. I typically do not travel with the jacks on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom