Jack plate screws

kmacafee

Greetings

I finally got around to installing my MaxxFan and, while doing so, noticed one of the screws on the jack plate was backed out a bit. I went around and checked them all and found that every one could be tightened a turn or two with a socket.

Given how critical these are, has anyone else run into this? Assuming they go into the metal frame, Is it worth backing them out and reinstalling with Locktite?

Cheers

kmacafee said:
No one has had issues with this but me?
Yeah, but the lawyers made us all shut up. Too much liability :)

I notice a few of mine are loose, a few have been changed to a larger screw. I haven't removed any to take a good look, but not sure locktite would be a good solution with the limited thread engagement in the thin aluminum. I'm also open to suggestions . . .
--
Pat

Take one out and look. If you can't see, use a small probe (like a dental pick) to feel for threads. If three or more threads, loctite (blue, medium strength) will work. If they are sheet metal screws, loctite on the mating face of the screw head & bracket should work, if surfaces are clean.

Mine doesn't have jack plates, otherwise I would just go out and look. I use cable lifts for the few times I take it off the truck.

Just got the camper back on the 7.3. There were a few of the lower screws a bit loose. My suspicion is that driving with the jacks on is the reason they loosened. I tightened things up when I removed the jacks. No problem.

Back
Top Bottom