Jacking up a Tacoma

Shadyapex

Hi all, just got a new Taco and am wondering if anyone has any ideas on where to apply a hi lift jack. Can't seem to find a spot on the truck to jack up without a high potential of body/paint damage. Do I really need new bumpers? Love the truck but don't want to get stuck out in the middle of nowhere trying to stack up rocks in order to get enough lift out of the stock jack. Thanks for any suggestions,,,,,

That is a downside to the gentrification of pick-up trucks, their bumpers aren't really stout enough for hi-lift extractions. Though truth be told the OE front bumper on my '84 Toyota Xcab wasn't either.

If you're planning to go where using a hi-lift has a high a probability I'd suggest bumpers and sliders both. For flats I still use the '84's stock mechanical bottle jack or my skid-plated floor jack. Either is much better at lifting a flat tire off the ground than a Hi-Lift is.

I agree. You couldn't pay me to attempt a tire change with a hi lift holding up a vehicle.

Marshfly said:
I agree. You couldn't pay me to attempt a tire change with a hi lift holding up a vehicle.
Ageed x2. To me the Hi-Lift is an extraction tool. Get a wheel in the air to get a traction device under it or rocks or material or for winching. Only way to use it to change a tire is after a jack stand is put in place. A good bottle jack is for changing tires.

I have the lift mate and I think this is the slickest thing that has been made in a long time for Hi-lift jacks. With that said I agree it is a extraction tool not a flat tire repair answer.

There's no way a Hi-Lift will work anywhere on a stock Tacoma except with the Lift-Mate. We're consulting with Pronghorn Overland Gear on a prototype aluminum winch bumper for the JATAC which will be fully Hi-Lift compatible. That should be followed by a rear bumper, and skid plates.

The Bogert Safe Jack system is an excellent alternative. I've tested it thoroughly (see here), and was really impressed.

Or put "sliders" on the sides. Welded to the frame I use these as lift points for my "Hi-Lift". Add a towell between the jack arm and the body to protect the paint.

Back
Top Bottom