Jacks, sliding front window ?

Montana

We are close to ordering a new Hawk for our Tundra. My husband and I are not in 100% agreement on options and would appreciate some opinions. Weight is the main factor for us, but we want some conveniences. We are in agreement on the fridge, heater, LED upgrade, extra battery, awning, fantastic fan, and screen door. What we can't agree on are the jacks and front sliding window. What purpose does the sliding window serve? I don't foresee needing to get to the cab that often, and our dogs would not be riding in back very often. The jacks are heavy and I see them solely for camper storage. Are they used often to stabilize the camper while camping?
This is a great site with LOTS to read. We welcome hearing from the voices of experience.

I got the removable front window, I don't think they have a slider. My justification was in case I ever wanted to pass stuff through on a rainy day. I took my jacks off as soon as I got it home. I'm glad that I have them in case I ever want to take the camper off the truck. They do weigh about 250lbs. If you never plan a need for the truck without the camper, don't buy the jacks. If not sure, get the brackets and you can add later. The camper looks much better without the jacks and they are very easy to remove:

With the jacks:
IMG_0163.jpg

Without the jacks:
IMG_0176.jpg

Re: Jacks - I think the jacks are a necessity, unless of course you plan on leaving the camper on the truck all of the time. I'm not sure how I would store or take my camper on or off without them. Takes about 15 minutes to take the jacks off or put them on. I don't leave them on while the camper is on my truck, because like you noted, they are heavy.
Enjoy your new camper when you get it! I got mine late last year and LOVE it!

Keith

My opinion:

Front sliding window: Yes, unnecessary if you don't need it! I have it and have never used it.
I imagine that if I can get my cat to like traveling and if I can get a boot to connect the rear-window of the truck with the front window of the camper than it may come in handy. But that hasn't happened yet.

Jacks: Yes, they're heavy, which is why most people remove them when out-and-about. But they're the best option for removing the camper from the truck, which is why most people re-install them when they're going to remove the camper from the truck.

Welcome to WTW, Montana! Please post photos of your camper when you get it and of your first trip...and subsequent trips. :)
(BTW: Your first name isn't Hanna, is it?)

Jacks for most people are for taking the camper on and off. As for the window, mine did not come with one and I had every intention of installing one (thought I needed it), 4 years later I still don't have one. Personal choice there, opinions will vary widely. Personally, I don't miss having one.

Thanks for the great information! We will be removing the camper when not in use, so yes, we would need the jacks then. Good to know that they are easy to remove. So the camper is plenty stable enough when being used? Even in strong desert winds? Seems I saw a picture of someone using smaller jacks under the frame and they said it made a big difference .

-Montana

No, not Hanna!

Welcome, Montana. We have the sliding window and the only time I have used it is when making a trip home from the local big box home improvement store with long items like 2x4s in the camper. Have never used it to pass stuff through from camper to truck or vice versa.

We used to leave our legs on all the time and did use them to level or steady the vehicle while camping. It may help for steadying but really have not missed them for that. Using them to level the truck was a bad idea. My thought was they can support 2000 pounds each so no problem. Forgot to consider the legs were lifting the camper, not the whole vehicle. The camper was lifting the truck. The camper is not designed for that. damn near ripped out the sides of my camper. So, yes, you can use them for steadying but I don't think it is worth the extra weight and wind resistance. I saw the picture you are referring to with the smaller jacks much like you see on trailers. that may be a good option if you find things moving too much while camping.

Enjoy that new camper!

Welcome, Montana. We have the sliding window and the only time I have used it is when making a trip home from the local big box home improvement store with long items like 2x4s in the camper. Have never used it to pass stuff through from camper to truck or vice versa.

We used to leave our legs on all the time and did use them to level or steady the vehicle while camping. It may help for steadying but really have not missed them for that. Using them to level the truck was a bad idea. My thought was they can support 2000 pounds each so no problem. Forgot to consider the legs were lifting the camper, not the whole vehicle. The camper was lifting the truck. The camper is not designed for that. damn near ripped out the sides of my camper. So, yes, you can use them for steadying but I don't think it is worth the extra weight and wind resistance. I saw the picture you are referring to with the smaller jacks much like you see on trailers. that may be a good option if you find things moving too much while camping.

Enjoy that new camper!

I forgot to mention that if you have a slider in your truck you can load lumber etc. That might be a good justification alone.

I love the front window , creates a nice breeze way during the day when I'm napping at lunch !

I have both for my Hawk, the jacks are stored unless the camper is coming off and the front slider is very useful. Go for it!

My wife and dog go through the window to get stuff from camper while we are driving. She IS small. It is nice to be able to access stuff in the back seat while in the camper and it does create a nice breeze and a little a/c from the truck once in a while.

We take our camper on and off truck, so we need the jacks. I weighed one of our jacks. It was 22 pounds. So about 88 pounds total.

Whether you need the jacks for camping really depends on your vehicle. Mine is stiff enough it doesn't rock or roll even in the worst storms. If you have some lightly sprung vehicle the jacks may be more useful. You'll notice most of us do at least some rough dirt roads. Catch a jack on a rock once and you'll see why most of us don't think its worth the risk.

No slider, never wanted one. Dog on the other hand probably would have liked it.

I like the front slider window, I'll state my reasons but if nothing appeals to you then don't spring for it.

*Occasionally passing stuff through to the truck or storing a duffle bag, etc. out of the way. Or even another cooler/fridge.
*As already mentioned you can stuff longer lumber/other hardware store supplies into the camper and have them poke through the window to get them home rather than put them on top of the camper or needing to take the camper off (or use another vehicle).
*Foul weather ventilation, this window is shielded by the cabover and can be opened even in rather poor weather. However the turn buckle ports also offer similar ventilation sources.

That's what I got off the top of my head.

Since my truck didn't have a rear slider I ordered my Granby without a slider. FWC screwed up and installed one anyway and since it wasn't invoiced I let it be. I have found it useful for both ventilation and access to clean both the truck window and camper window.

Great information - thanks to all! The jury is still out on the window, but leaning away from it. Never even thought about catching the jacks on rocks, an excellent reason to leave them home. Kinda obvious that this is our first camper, isn't it? We'll post photos of our maiden voyage, but that will be at least two long months away. Thanks again. --Montana

<snip> We'll post photos of our maiden voyage, but that will be at least two long months away.

We'll try and be patient, congrats again on your camper!

Over the past 25+ years, I've had 3 truck/camper combinations with sliding windows, so I'm accustomed to the convenience. My opinion is that a sliding window is more important than a Fantastic Fan. Others have stated all the reasons why except for one. Crawling through the window to unlock the doors if you have locked the keys in the cab. I've done it more than once.
unsure.gif
Granted that modern vehicles make one have to try to lock one's keys inside, so this may not be a consideration.

I hope I'm not too late . But I wouldn't order the the front opening window. Mine started leaking water right after the year warranty expired . I spend a lot of time out on the desert where it blows hard. I head my rig into wind if possible during these conditions. The wind whistles through that window like a sieve.I also met this couple that had a brand new Finch and the window leaked right away. I've opened this window twice since I bought it 2 years ago. 2010 Eagle. I love this camper and I use it a lot. But there are some things that I would do different . I you have already purchased your new rig Congrats I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have

I hope I'm not too late . But I wouldn't order the the front opening window. Mine started leaking water right after the year warranty expired . I spend a lot of time out on the desert where it blows hard. I head my rig into wind if possible during these conditions. The wind whistles through that window like a sieve.I also met this couple that had a brand new Finch and the window leaked right away. I've opened this window twice since I bought it 2 years ago. 2010 Eagle. I love this camper and I use it a lot. But there are some things that I would do different . I you have already purchased your new rig Congrats I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have

And my experience is just the opposite. My Grandby is near 15 years old and the slider has never leaked. Good for passing stuff through, even better for moving dogs into the camper when it is pouring rain out. I would hate to have to get the dogs out of the camper and through the back door during a muddy monsoon mess. Through the window and they stay dry!

Back
Top Bottom