Jacks, sliding front window ?

We are close to ordering a new Hawk for our Tundra. My husband and I are not in 100% agreement on options and would appreciate some opinions. Weight is the main factor for us, but we want some conveniences. We are in agreement on the fridge, heater, LED upgrade, extra battery, awning, fantastic fan, and screen door. What we can't agree on are the jacks and front sliding window. What purpose does the sliding window serve? I don't foresee needing to get to the cab that often, and our dogs would not be riding in back very often. The jacks are heavy and I see them solely for camper storage. Are they used often to stabilize the camper while camping?
This is a great site with LOTS to read. We welcome hearing from the voices of experience.

I had been living full time in a RV for 9 years and towing my ford ranger and 4wheel camper as a tow rig. Great way to travel. We left the jacks on because we didn't have a place to store them and didn't know when we might want to take the camper off. We have used the jacks to level a slightly out of level camper but it is usually a lot easier to just level it with a rock or a hole or a move.
We have been from Alaska to Arizona and from Florida to California with no problems with leaving the jacks on.
However the previous owner had done the same for many years and in the last year he had owned it he backed into a rock and did some damage to the camper. I bought it that way and because the camper is so well made I was able to do a fairly nice repair.
I now have bought a house in Idaho and the camper is removed for 6 months of the year but will go back on for the 6 months that I still travel.
If you look close you can see the jacks on in my picture taken in the Florida everglades. We left the RV in Ohio and just lived in the 4 wheel camper for a month.
One nice thing about leaving the jacks on, cars leave you plenty of room in the parking lot when they park next to you.

Back
Top Bottom