Jacks

Beach

How many of you remove the camper jacks and where do you store them? I removed mine and store them below the couch seat. I think it will reduce wind drag, helping mpg and was concerned if anything ever hit one while driving, the camper as well as the jack would be damaged. Plus it looks better and lowers the c.o.g. a bit.

Removed After Purchase And Placed In Garage To Gather Dust And Cobwebs... That Was Almost One Year Ago.

I store mine on the camper dolly I made to store the camper in the garage. When it's time to put the camper away for the winter, they go back on and come off again in the spring. I marked a line on the jacks so I know how high to crank them up when it's time to load the camper again.

Then there is me :ninja: -after 7 years they are still on the camper :) ! Could be I like the extra pounds in the sand, snow or wind that give my light F150 more traction. They are also great for hanging things up on in camp, and they form a perfect little place for my fishing pole :love: all snuggled up next to the truck cab! Actually, I have this fear that sometime I'll find that perfect place to hide from the Russians :mad: ,evil people, smerfs, etc., and need to drop my fwc so I can run into town to get supplies, etc, :unsure: . Or I could be just to lazy to take them off and you know when you get old you sort of get used to doing things the same way ;) -less thinking means more playing!!! :p

Smoke

When the camper goes on the truck, the jacks come off and get stored on the dolly with the tailgate. I have a plan for using the jack brackets to support a shower enclosure on the driver's side (where the shower hose comes out of course) and the jacks would preclude using it. Those sturdy brackets seem way too useful to be full of jack when traveling.

I leave my rear ones on and take off the fronts. :) I just lean them against the wall so when I offload the camper the jack is right there and I just have to bolt em down. I think I was to leave the camper on all of the time I'd take the rears off as well.
sign0134.gif

I store mine on the floor behind the front seat so I have them if I need them. I have an f250 crew cab. I'm thinking better weight distribution and less wind resistance.and fuel efficiency. Emergency access repair, etc.

QUESTION ??? When you jack the camper free of the truck and sleep in the over cab what methods do you use to counter balance the weight? Both when on ground or pavement? Mine is a newer extended cab-over and most of the time I am unfortunately solo.

Kispiox said:
QUESTION ??? When you jack the camper free of the truck and sleep in the over cab what methods do you use to counter balance the weight? Both when on ground or pavement? Mine is a newer extended cab-over and most of the time I am unfortunately solo.
Are you asking about sleeping in the camper when it's not mounted on the truck? When/Why?

Yes sleeping, Well, whole host of reasons..... My primary is because I am a fisherman. I use the camper for prolonged periods off the grid and want my truck free to shuttle my drift boat (in the truck bed) at will up and down river from where camped. To get through smaller holes in the bush for river access without damaging camper, solar panel or vents on over-hanging trees. There are others but this is primary. Any experience? I have been spiral staking and roping the door end. I was just wondering if others have better solutions. Though I have never done it, I would be interested in urban paved solutions too for an extended stay somewhere.

Kispiox said:
Can't say that I've done that with mine.

At the RV shows that FWC has been at, I have seen no extra tie downs of any sort and I have climbed up there to check out the bed for size. Everything stayed upright. I think you would be fine....but better call Saul, I mean Stan.

Sorry, can't talk about my previous employer. You know, national security and such.

Fair enough on the employer, me too. Thanks. With regard to the floor support, picnic tables work good too. FYI. A knowledgable source recommended tying if down, whom I will protect and which I have done. I just wondered it any alternate methods have been used with success. I always err with abundance of caution. I am certain that in this litigious age FWC would simply say don't do that. Understand that. Way to many lawyers, politicians and NSA too!

Back
Top Bottom