Jacks

Kispiox said:
Rotti, you & Mark BC, retired NSA?
Well...the questions are just 'cause this is such an unusual situation. I've never seen anyone camp in their pop-up with it not on the truck and I don't recall anyone bringing it up on this forum before.

I do understand the desire to be able to drive away from camp without taking the camper, but having to support the floor when not on the truck makes it less than convenient...to me. I've occasionally considered getting a small motorcycle and bringing it along as a solution. But I haven't yet...maybe because taking along a motorcycle isn't convenient to me either. ;)

My jacks stay on the camper. The mileage difference is close to unmeasurable. I WILL pull them off in a tight spot to avoid damage. They help level and stabilize in camp. Yes, they are ugly, but I am not in a beauty contest. Those days are long gone.

MarkBC said:
Well...the questions are just 'cause this is such an unusual situation. I've never seen anyone camp in their pop-up with it not on the truck and I don't recall anyone bringing it up on this forum before.

I do understand the desire to be able to drive away from camp without taking the camper, but having to support the floor when not on the truck makes it less than convenient...to me. I've occasionally considered getting a small motorcycle and bringing it along as a solution. But I haven't yet...maybe because taking along a motorcycle isn't convenient to me either. ;)
That is interesting. I am surprised more folks do not do this. I would think more fishermen, and hunters would gravitate toward FWCs and those groups would have other uses for their truck in that pursuit? Or, their spouse might go with them but stay in camp during that pursuit? I'm surprised!

I have a front mounted hitch on the truck I could put my motorcycle on. But lately I just take my ATV trailer. I can carry the bikes for hunting or my inflatable pontoon for fishing. I also a 2000 watt Honda generator in the box up front so I have all the power I want while on my trips. Ron

img_88925_0_0406b646c0cdedb70dceca396ecd11e1.jpg

Nice!! I too am thinking about a toy box with a flat top for pontoons and a slot for a motorcycle in front. The motorcycle to self shuttle. Right now I pull a center console jet boat with a couple of different sized pontoon boats inside. If I want to go up a logging road and drift a river I store the jet and get off grid up the logging road for a while with the right sized pontoon for that river.

The toy box is probably a better approach. You can drift but not jet all rivers. There is also no perfect jet boat for all rivers.

Kispiox said:
That is interesting. I am surprised more folks do not do this. I would think more fishermen, and hunters would gravitate toward FWCs and those groups would have other uses for their truck in that pursuit? Or, their spouse might go with them but stay in camp during that pursuit? I'm surprised!
I don't really know what fraction of pop-up campers ever remove the camper from the truck while camping. I assume that it's small because I don't remember it being a topic of conversation on this forum. But there may be more than I'm aware. :unsure:

But even if it's a tiny minority that's OK. I fully support the rights of those who make alternative lifestyle choices.
;)

idahoron said:
These are the pontoons I take o my trips. Ron

img_88939_4_601c48d66c3cddf9161fd39644373191.jpg

img_88939_6_b83202e60ee877ad3335745fb1ac185e.jpg
That is my exact same Skookum Steelheader boat that I carry in my jet boat when on the road. I also have a one bag boat for hiking in and when I do not pull a trailer. An 8' Skadden Kevlar that only weighs 20lbs oars and all. The Skookum is a great white water boat. Never had it in still water.

I use it mostly to chase Catfish and sturgeon with a gas motor. I have a 4 hp Johnson and a 2.5 hp Coleman. I have caught a ton of fish in that boat.

Mark, I was surprised the first time I saw it mentioned over on Expo. Only after having it carefully explained to me did I understand. Its nothing I'll ever do, to me the fact that I don't have to take it off to go where I want is a large part of owning one to start with.

Again, kind of hard to haul a pontoon boat, or a moose or a deer with the camper in the bed. I don't like pulling a trailer too far off the grid. We all have different missions. For those missions it gets jacked free and it isn't any big deal for support. I was asking if anyone else has any experience with counter balance techniques. Okay, understood, few do. I know you don't need to, but I do. Got it. Sorry. Geez

<--------clicky Just level it like this, so you won't have to worry about counter balance!

BTW, He was only trying to tell you that at some point, you'll figure out that loading and unloading stinks for the most part. If/when you realize this, be sure to let us know that you're no-longer in the minority. Or let us know how much you appreciate the ability to load/unload anywhere and everywhere because of X, Y, or Z. My money is on leaving it in the truck...

Kilroy after giving you message a second read you seem to be under the impression that I always Jack the camper free. And thank you for the graphic. As stated in this thread, this is something that I do occasionally when I set up camp for sometimes a month in duration and want my truck free to haul a large pontoon boat that will not fit in or on the Hawk. No I would not dream of jacking it free every time.

Now, there is no need to change me. I am one with you. I am enlightened. Thank you!

Oh gosh Kispiox - I have troubles changing myself, let alone somebody else! I have zero interest in that. Remember the OP was asking about jacks,and how many people remove them entirely.

The frame of reference (at least for me) is about my reasons for always removing my jacks, as a majority of us do when loading the FWC.

KILR0Y said:
Rotti, You watch way too many episodes of "Homeland" my friend!
Wrong show.....Breaking Bad. Gonna miss that series.

I emailed Terry at FWC and they do recommend tying down the rear:

"We don't recommend using them off the truck. If you are going to use it off the truck, you should anchor the rear down. You can use those large screws that they use for tying your dog up outside and then use a strap from the jack bracket to the anchor."

Kispiox said:
Fair enough on the employer, me too. Thanks. With regard to the floor support, picnic tables work good too. FYI. A knowledgable source recommended tying if down, whom I will protect and which I have done. I just wondered it any alternate methods have been used with success. I always err with abundance of caution. I am certain that in this litigious age FWC would simply say don't do that. Understand that. Way to many lawyers, politicians and NSA too!
Yes that would have been Terry whom I referenced earlier and whose instruction I have followed for the SO VERY FEW TIMES THAT I HAVE DONE IT only during periods where I had an additional use for my truck.

Only a very few aircraft manufacturers recommend landing anywhere other than an airport,... But they sure sell a lot of tundra tires.

Gentlemen, thank you so very much for your time and energy that you have so graciously extended to me on this matter. I stand enlightened and require no further.

Back
Top Bottom