Jackson Hole East

RobNE

Advanced Member
Hey All,
I'm driving from Boston to Idaho Falls, ID the end of July for work. The wife and little one are flying out and we are doing a road trip back to Boston. Don't have a specific plan other than a tentative: Tetons, Yellowstone, Devil's Tower, Rushmore, and then a family reunion in MN. Only a few weeks for the trip, so not a ton of time.

I'll probably just hit the campgrounds at GTNP, but thought I would see if anyone had any suggestions about must-see places in the area or if some campgrounds are better than others.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Hey All,
I'm driving from Boston to Idaho Falls, ID the end of July for work. The wife and little one are flying out and we are doing a road trip back to Boston. Don't have a specific plan other than a tentative: Tetons, Yellowstone, Devil's Tower, Rushmore, and then a family reunion in MN. Only a few weeks for the trip, so not a ton of time.

I'll probably just hit the campgrounds at GTNP, but thought I would see if anyone had any suggestions about must-see places in the area or if some campgrounds are better than others.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

HI Rob.We stayed at the Gros Venture (grow vont) campground.It has a lot of sites and they aren't on top of each other. Oh what are you camping in? The camps along Jackson lake are ok also,far from the action of the animals but nice views. There are some really nice camps on the Grassy Lake road,it goes off the main road at Flagg ranch just before you exit GTNP and enter Yellowstone.It's about 3 to 5 miles back the road and each site has at least 2 camps with water and restroom,there several camps along the beginning of the road. I saw at least 4 when i found the area.They are nice good views of the Snake river,but not close to any thing in the parks.As for Yellowstone you can make reservations at a couple campgrounds. To see the lower part of the park Grant is a good one has showers and stuff. Next would be Madison for a reservation camp it is nice and that side of the park is good for animals and the fishing is great right in the camp.Next our favorite is the first come first serve Pebble Creek it's in the north east corner 10 miles from the Cooke City exit,which would be a great way to leave the park to continue your journey. You do need to get there around 8 or 9 am to get a spot. That area of the park has the great herds of animals plus wolves, bear,and moose,also great fishing.Indian Creek is also a good camp FCFS but not as fast to fill as Pebble,and if you want to leave the park through Mammoth and north to Livingston and i 90 that would be good.If you decided to leave the park through the Cody exit that road east to Rushmore hwy 16 is a nice 2 lane road.If i can help any other way for info e-mail me,go to members for my address. Some of the photos from our trip 2 weeks ago DSCN3185.jpg

Frank

Attachments

• DSCN2739.jpg
    DSCN2739.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCN2779.jpg
    DSCN2779.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCN2837.jpg
    DSCN2837.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN2876.jpg
    DSCN2876.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 109
DSCN2712.jpgYea we get up close and personal,but still in the car. Nice animals spring time a lot of young.Or they walk into the camp and mill around your space so all you can do is stay out of the way any snap photos.

Frank

Attachments

• DSCN2776.jpg
    DSCN2776.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN2826.jpg
    DSCN2826.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCN2865.jpg
    DSCN2865.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN2887.jpg
    DSCN2887.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 89
There are a couple of decent Forest Service camps in Spearfish Canyon off Rt 14 in SD. Custer State Park is nice but will be very crowded and I think there is a decent FS camp just W of Mt Rushmore but likely to fill early. Devil's Tower is a good place to spend the night and of course you need to stop at Wall Drug. This picture is from a campsite on the North end of Jackson Lake. And I recommend the museum in Cody, well worth it. If you do stay in Cody you can camp at the reservoir West of town. Also there is a nice Sierra Trading Post in Cody, always good for some bargains. And there is an interesting remote campsite in Badlands NP, Sage Creek, watch out for the Bison :D

80286616_gWr6C-M-1.jpg

930107595_usHDJ-M.jpg

Awesome, thanks for the info guys!

What am I camping in... a four wheel camper of course! :rolleyes:

Great pics as well! I'm stoked.

I'll probably head to Gos Venture our first night, the wife and daughter fly in late in the evening, then try and head up near Jackson Lake or Jenny Lake (I think there's camping there). I'll have to mull all this great info over, but i'll post or email if I have any questions or think of anything else.

Any good beta for the UP of Michigan or canada (duluth to Montreal say...)?

you guys are awesome!!
Rob

Attachments

• CanadaFalls (Medium).JPG
    CanadaFalls (Medium).JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 104
Awesome, thanks for the info guys!

What am I camping in... a four wheel camper of course! :rolleyes:

Great pics as well! I'm stoked.

I'll probably head to Gos Venture our first night, the wife and daughter fly in late in the evening, then try and head up near Jackson Lake or Jenny Lake (I think there's camping there). I'll have to mull all this great info over, but i'll post or email if I have any questions or think of anything else.

Any good beta for the UP of Michigan or canada (duluth to Montreal say...)?

you guys are awesome!!
Rob

Rob you can't camp at Jenny Lake with a camper it's tents only.Plus it fills up early in the morning. Still there are other great spots. Also if you have time in the Teatons check out the Wilson road just in the area of the visitors center. There are lots of moose there and if you have time the Rockefeller center and the walk to Phelps Lake. Its awesome. Hope the info helps,have a good trip.

Frank

Back
Top Bottom