med_gallery_5772_976_607479.jpg
med_gallery_5772_976_1024908.jpg
med_gallery_5772_976_1073041.jpg
med_gallery_5772_976_1199512.jpg
med_gallery_5772_976_1022887.jpg
med_gallery_5772_976_806230.jpg
med_gallery_5772_976_891715.jpg
med_gallery_5772_976_308345.jpg

Here are a few pics from a quick 2 day trip to Jasper, Alberta. This is our first Winter camping trip in the Hawk. Everything was awesome. We were toasty warm at night and we had a great time. The weather was pretty mild for Alberta, Canada -10C or 14F for an overnight low.

Thanks for sharing a bit of the BC winter experience with us. Great scenery and wildlife.
Mild temps to you are about our lower limit for western USA campers. What's your insulation and heating system?

Looks like beautiful country! I'm curious about the tent and camper, did you have more folks along, or is that for cooking or gear storage?

The Hawk is heated with the Atwood Furnace, and there is a thermal pack. I was very amazed with how well the thermal pack worked. I thought I would feel cold near my head or feet while sleeping (I'm 6'3"), but that was a non issue. We slept with the roof vent 1/2 open and a side window 1/4 open. No condensation. The first night we were way too warm. On the second night I kept the thermostat set just a hair above the lowest setting (analog thermostat). It was a very comfortable temp. even with the window open.

We used one 10lb tank of propane. We were not being conservative with the propane in the least. I preheated the camper long before we went to sleep. The door was left open quite a bit. We only pay ~ $3 to fill the 10lb propane bottle at Costco, so I'm not at all worried about conserving propane on a 2 night trip. We were also using propane to keep the fridge cold. It's funny, because we put things in the fridge, so they don't freeze. Meaning if we left things outside they would freeze.

We always bring the tent with us. It's just used for storage. Nobody sleeps in it. We throw things like lawn chairs, overnight bags (things that aren't worth stealing) etc. in there when we are touring around with the Hawk. We also like the tent because it lets people know the campsite is occupied when we are not there.

We cooked a salmon over the camp fire and breakfast on our coleman stove. I have an adapter and use the spare 10lb propane bottle to fuel the camp stove. We only use the stove inside the camper to make coffee or tea.

The scenery was awesome. It was an wonderful experience. The incredible part is we had the entire campground (practically the entire National Park) to ourselves. There was one other camper (sleeping in a tent). The bathrooms were warm and clean. The showers hot. The wood pile stocked. BTW we pay $8.80 for a fire permit. This gives us unlimited free wood, so we had a healthy fire going the entire time we were at the camp.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Nice trip. Seems like most of our "snow area campgrounds" close way before winter,even early fall.
Oh well.
Thanks
Frank
Sad to hear. I guess it's just not cost effective or safe to keep them open.

Wapiti campground in Jasper is open year round. There are 5 major campgrounds in the park. They all close but a small section of Wapiti. There is non service and sites serviced with electricity.

Perhaps if you focus on government run campgrounds you will have a bit more luck finding one that is open.

There are a number of privately run campgrounds open here too, but they tend to cater to oilfield workers who do not want to pay for living accommodations. They live in their fifth wheels and trailers.

Very inspiring! We love Jasper/Robson and try to get up there at least once a year. Doing it in the winter had never crossed my mind before! I'm guessing you had your water inside the camper vs using the camper's water system?

Thanks for the feedback about heating. Propane is cheap! Especially in a small micro cabin like a popup.
Great to have a camper that allows for off season visits to popular locations.

Vic Harder said:
Very inspiring! We love Jasper/Robson and try to get up there at least once a year. Doing it in the winter had never crossed my mind before! I'm guessing you had your water inside the camper vs using the camper's water system?
We brought our own water for drinking.

I drained the Hawk's water system in the fall. I plan on going to Vancouver Island in the first week of March. I will take on water once I get there and drain it again before I drive back to Alberta. Likely I will wait until April before I keep water in the lines. There is very little work involved in draining the system. Just crack the drain valves and open the taps. Turn on the pump for a second to drain the pump.

Lighthawk: Propane is cheap now that I can buy it at Costco. They charge by volume. I feel like I got raped filling bottles in the past. As much a $28 to fill a 20lb bottle. Now I pay about $6 to $7 to fill a 20lb bottle. It's funny filling the 10lb bottles there because it is so cheap. Sometime it's 50 cents to top up a bottle :) .

I was extremely impressed with how warm and comfortable the Hawk felt with the thermal pack. The Atwood heater had no issue heating the camper, It has way more than enough BTUs. If you kept the roof down you could easily camp in -40F. We kept the heater turned on low the entire time so the Hawk didn't feel like an icebox. It was cozy the entire time. This really inspires me to do more winter camping. We were waiting to experience winter camping and now that I know the Hawk is so comfortable, we will be doing more.

The highway turned to crap on our drive back home and some of the mountain roads in the park were very icy. I had no issues with traction and handling. I wouldn't have wanted to tow a camper on those roads, but the Hawk was great.

Vic, you will love your FWC when you get it. Living in Calgary you will get sooooooo much use out of it. We use it on day trips to the local parks in our Edmonton. We bring wood with us and have fires all the time. Sometimes we have a nap. We take it to the beach in Victoria and fly kites. Wherever we go with it people love it. You will have to get used to people asking you questions about it. We got in about 10 camping trips last year and we only bought the Hawk in March 2015.

Thanks for the winter photos, Bill. Keep posting!

ski3pin said:
I'm going back to Jasper next week and we plan on exploring further up the river in the frozen parts.
I'll take more pics and post next week. Winter can be extremely beautiful.

Thank you for the kind comments.

Back
Top Bottom