Jeep tumbles down Black Bear Pass...

Advmoto18

I rode this trail on my moto several years ago. Tough trails such as this one I scout before tackling the route with my truck/Hawk. Needless to say, I did not drive this route, nor would I attempt such, in my truck.

Fortunately, the driver, a passenger and two dogs survived this scary event.

The back story as I have read various accounts, driver stopped the vehicle in gear with parking brake set and exited the jeep. The tranny jumped out of gear and the parking brake did not hold resulting in the jeep rolling backwards off the trail and down the mountain. The female passenger was ejected during the tumble but survived with serious, non-life threatening injuries. The 2 dogs are reported to be healthy as well.

The occupants of the jeep recording the video with dashcam were very, very fortunate that it took them a minute or two to negotiate the hairpin turn a few minutes earlier.

The San Miguel County Sheriff has been wanting to close this trail for years due to the number of accidents which place county first responders in harms way due to bad decisions made by people who have no idea what they are getting into driving this trail.

But it is a beautiful trail that delivers you to Telluride when traveling East to West.

Scary video here.

I fear other drivers far more than anything nature offers up for adventure. I am glad no one died, but the video maker came within a few seconds of being collateral damage from a less skilled driver.

There's a trail here locally that is locked and the only way to get the combo is to check in at the FS Ranger Station, where the intended vehicle is checked for compliance to the unique rules for that road. More overhead for the local LEO's, but it wouldn't be bad if it kept those who have no business being there from being able to get there.

I drove this road a couple of years ago, it is tight, but not terrible and very scenic. However, I wouldn't drive this again. Not because the road itself, but because of the other people. I was crowded years ago, I am sure it is insane now. The two biggest issues were folks in rental jeeps who don't seem to understand that two cars can't always pass even in the two way sections, but continue to drive down as you drive up. The second issue are club/groups coming through. It is NOT a good idea to try and drive this in a group of 35 FJ Cruisers, you will just make a lot of enemies out of rest of the forrest users.

At least the tight part is now one-way, but I fully understand the Sherif wanting to close or permit this trail. It is a zoo and I am sure it drains a lot of their resources.

I am glad the folks in this accident survived.

Like most sports the most dangerous element is the people. From what I read the trail is not a dead end. Why not make it a one way trail?

The switchbacks above Bridal Vail falls are one way, the rest of the road isn't.

Back
Top Bottom