Jerk!

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
Jerk!
Who else here is a fan of this great spicy-hot (but not just hot) traditional Jamaican pre-grilling paste/sauce/rub/marinade? It's for use before grilling (or other cooking), not a table condiment. I think it's mostly used on "white meats" -- chicken and pork -- that's how I've used it, anyway...of course, you could put it on anything.
Walkerswood is my long-time favorite...though I don't think I've tried many others.
I'm jerking some chicken right now (hey -- that's what it's called
rolleyes.gif
) in the 'frig.

Thoughts on this? (May be a nice break from the politics of outdoors, which, while sometimes necessary, doesn't please the belly.
wink.gif
)

product_jerk-seasoning.jpg

Mark when talking about jerking maybe you should spell it fridge. Or not.

Ummm...yeah. I did mean "refrigerator".

Where do you find this elixir? Never seen it before.

I don't remember where I bought my current jar -- I've had it a long time. (I don't think it can spoil in the "refrigerator", though it probably loses some flavor with time.)
But I see it on Amazon and lots of other places show it online (from a google search). It must be available in some physical stores, too, but I haven't looked.

I've never had that brand, but I always buy it in big grocery chains. It's killer on chicken, no doubt. Love it. In Jamaican cooking it's popular on goat too, but that's not my bag really. At least not at home.

In Jamaican cooking it's popular on goat too, but that's not my bag really. At least not at home.

Yeah, I think the one time I ate at a Jamaican restaurant (in NYC) I had jerked goat.
We don't get much goat in supermarkets in Bend, Oregon...the closest thing might be lamb.

Yeah, I think the one time I ate at a Jamaican restaurant (in NYC) I had jerked goat.
We don't get much goat in supermarkets in Bend, Oregon...the closest thing might be lamb.

Don't forget the Red Stripe!!

Don't forget the Red Stripe!!

Ah well...I'll have to forget it -- I don't drink...anymore.
Nevertheless, I did just-now enjoy that grilled jerk chicken, with nothing but sparkling mineral water to cool my over-spiced tongue.
smile.gif

The reason I brought up the subject of jerk seasoning is that it's yet another completely-different hot-and-spicy taste...different from Mexican hot-spicy and different from southeast Asian hot-spicy.
And it's perfectly suited -- in fact it's intended -- for outdoor cooking in a grill/BBQ -- maybe even a whole tasty lamb.
ohmy.gif

And because I like all types of hot-and-spicy!
biggrin.gif

I have a friend, a former chef, that I know would love to jerk a chicken in the woods. Perhaps at the next rally. I apologize for the inside joke. :LOL:

Mike

Ah well...I'll have to forget it -- I don't drink...anymore.
Nevertheless, I did just-now enjoy that grilled jerk chicken, with nothing but sparkling mineral water to cool my over-spiced tongue.
smile.gif

The reason I brought up the subject of jerk seasoning is that it's yet another completely-different hot-and-spicy taste...different from Mexican hot-spicy and different from southeast Asian hot-spicy.
And it's perfectly suited -- in fact it's intended -- for outdoor cooking in a grill/BBQ -- maybe even a whole tasty lamb.
ohmy.gif

And because I like all types of hot-and-spicy!
biggrin.gif

Why not snake?

I saw some jerk at whole foods today. I'll probably check it out in the near future.

DD- Was it Walkerswood (the picture I posted) or another brand? I'm not an expert, but a lot of reviewers have said "the best -- just like I had in Jamaica". Other brands are probably worth trying, too, I expect. Some versions are pastes (like the version of Walkerswood I recommend) and some versions (including one from Walkerswood) are liquidy marinades. You might want to stay away from the "A-1 Steak Sauce" version...might be less than authentic.
rolleyes.gif

If you haven't already, maybe check your neighborhood's Newport Markup -- seems like the kind of semi-exotic item they would carry, too.
It's available at Amazon and other online...but the shipping cost will be as much as the item cost.

I went to the Ackee Tree restaurant here in Toronto today for some jerk chicken, rice and peas, and coleslaw! Hadn't been since last fall. Tasty stuff!!!

Ackee Tree restaurant

Jamaican restaurant?

OK, I just binged ackee : "national fruit of Jamaica"...mon

DD- Was it Walkerswood (the picture I posted) or another brand? I'm not an expert, but a lot of reviewers have said "the best -- just like I had in Jamaica". Other brands are probably worth trying, too, I expect. Some versions are pastes (like the version of Walkerswood I recommend) and some versions (including one from Walkerswood) are liquidy marinades. You might want to stay away from the "A-1 Steak Sauce" version...might be less than authentic.
rolleyes.gif

If you haven't already, maybe check your neighborhood's Newport Markup -- seems like the kind of semi-exotic item they would carry, too.
It's available at Amazon and other online...but the shipping cost will be as much as the item cost.

It's not the version you posted but its the only one they had. Probably not going to find many options around here but I'l look at Newport.

Jamaican restaurant?

OK, I just binged ackee : "national fruit of Jamaica"...mon

Ya mon! Ackee and salt fish is a good dish too!

My chicken:
imagegpg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom