Jerry Cans - The secret Weapon

Sorry it's so tiny of a pic, but this is what I built to carry two of these cans, and a bbq tank:
i-LMqW8jW.jpg

Plugs into the trailer receiver hitch; in this case with a riser between them. It has a locking draw latch and swings out of the way completely to the left. I needed them on this trip, we jumped off pavement near Locklock, NV and that pic was taken in Ely, NV.

I know all about those tiny Square Body fuel tanks. I keep eyeballing and measuring hoping to find one that fits ala the K5 tank, but I've just about decided to build one.
i-sx2FJtm-M.jpg

ntsqd said:
Sorry it's so tiny of a pic, but this is what I built to carry two of these cans, and a bbq tank:
i-LMqW8jW.jpg

Plugs into the trailer receiver hitch; in this case with a riser between them. It has a locking draw latch and swings out of the way completely to the left. I needed them on this trip, we jumped off pavement near Locklock, NV and that pic was taken in Ely, NV.

I know all about those tiny Square Body fuel tanks. I keep eyeballing and measuring hoping to find one that fits ala the K5 tank, but I've just about decided to build one.
i-sx2FJtm-M.jpg

Seeing those fuel cans extending off the rear bumper reminds of a couple of Pinto accidents I investigated.

Unlike the Pinto, which had sharp, pointy things aimed at their fuel tanks, that structure is fairly robust and smooth.

Found a better pic of it:
i-VK3m5WD-L.jpg

Risk management. My Jeep has two fuel cans on the rear. You'll hit the spare tire first but if I get hit hard enough... Not to mention I sit on top of the gas tank :)

[SIZE=10.5pt]I concur carrying fuel on-board that could turn you into a Teke torch is all about assumption of risk and then risk management looking for the LCD that could bite you on the butt….a common practice for me; assuming risk potential... [/SIZE]
1*DRQJxQBsRIo_qabal753zQ.png

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

Stupid question-I noted that they have Mule 4 wheel brackets for the left side too. So, that would really work for me (tool/mount on right side) but i have a frig on the inside on that side of my 05 Granby and no room to drill inside , so does the bracket just fit on the jack mount alone or does it need additional bracing? I have heard that they will not hold up that much extra weight, thanks!

Smoke

At the start of this thread I mentioned I bought the Wavian 20 liter can.... a great gas can. But I noticed a leak from one of the 3 small screws on the spout. I tried to tighten but didn't have success. So I called the company and asked for a replacement spout (one year warranty) I told them the can was fine. One day later I got a completely new can and spout! (I know I can remove the screw and add a bit of epoxy). So now I have 2 cans! Maybe I should use one to decant the red wine!

buckland said:
At the start of this thread I mentioned I bought the Wavian 20 liter can.... a great gas can. But I noticed a leak from one of the 3 small screws on the spout. I tried to tighten but didn't have success. So I called the company and asked for a replacement spout (one year warranty) I told them the can was fine. One day later I got a completely new can and spout! (I know I can remove the screw and add a bit of epoxy). So now I have 2 cans! Maybe I should use one to decant the red wine!
I’m not so sure about the idea to use that can as a decanter :oops: , but the almost instant replacement speaks volumes about the customer service ethic of the company.

buckland said:
A few years back I got a few cans in various sizes and a couple of spouts leaked the same way. Humm, should have complained. I don't use them anyway. Been using Funnels and the flexible spouts.

So I finally made a couple variations of unleaded adapters.

The cheapest is to just remove the crappy plastic part of the one that comes with the can. You can then just jam a piece of 3/4 inch copper in and call it good.

Two problems:

The angle is still not good for a lot of fillers. You could add a 45 or two, or even maybe a section of flex (like the flexible copper feed lines to a water heater).

Unfortunately, the fill time goes from 30 seconds to 2 1/2 minutes. That’s a nonstarter for me so I’m giving up on that version.

The other better version uses a couple of 3/4” to 1” copper reducing fittings and a short piece of 3/4 tube. It’s a nice tight friction fit after you remove the filter, and if it does fall off, it’s too big to fall down in to your tank. Best of all is a full 5 gallon dump time of 30 seconds!

Attachments

• E3BE7F2F-5209-4D65-AD5B-DB58A342BAF2.jpeg
    E3BE7F2F-5209-4D65-AD5B-DB58A342BAF2.jpeg
    30.5 KB · Views: 59
Sorry picture kind of small, I’ll try again

Attachments

• B74B0335-4563-4C58-BD94-967782D104CF.jpeg
    B74B0335-4563-4C58-BD94-967782D104CF.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 59
Thanks! I have four of the 194x-5x vintage cans, haven't used one yet. Will have to get a real spout before taking them on that long awaited trip to the Yukon.

JHanson said:
After all the discussion here, I decided to do a comparison test of the dump rates of spouts for the NATO can. The results were enlightening.

Review here.
Jon, thank you! Great review. I think I’m going to buy one of the Valpro spouts, assuming I can find one.

My two NATO cans are both in their 70s, geezers like me.

*** Heads Up ***

The Valpro spouts don’t quite fit the older NATO Jerry cans (my cans are dated 1951 and 1952). The spout air vent tube is slightly larger than the receptacle tube inside the Jerry can. When I have a little more time, I’ll try filling the spout vents to see if I can get a fit. Failing that, maybe bending it out of the way.

If anyone has a recommendation, I’m open to suggestions.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
*** Heads Up ***

The Valco spouts don’t quite fit the older NATO Jerry cans (my cans are dated 1951 and 1952). The spout air vent tube is slightly larger than the receptacle tube inside the Jerry can. When I have a little more time, I’ll try filling the spout vents to see if I can get a fit. Failing that, maybe bending it out of the way.

If anyone has a recommendation, I’m open to suggestions.
we need pictures... :rolleyes:

pvstoy said:
A few years back I got a few cans in various sizes and a couple of spouts leaked the same way. Humm, should have complained. I don't use them anyway. Been using Funnels and the flexible spouts.
Just an update on the spouts. As I said I called them on it and asked for a replacement spout. They sent me a new gas can and a spout ... now I had two spouts that leaked at the seam and all three screws. First I tried making a gasket for it...nope. Then I tried a permatex gas can sealant and the gasket....nope. Third time the winner... I have some West System epoxy from boat building and it is very nice stuff. I slathered it on the two sides of the seam (after separating ...removing the three little screws) reassembling it and also smeared some over the screw heads... why not at this point?! either it worked or fugedaboutit .... well it worked like a charm and now I have 2 functional tanks and spouts. I also bought a spout with a flex hose in case I need it as sometimes the snazzy spout with the push spring cap is not gonna work on some tanks to be filled. I like the push spring spout as there is no spillage ... but it is slower.

Back
Top Bottom