Jerry Cans

The Saints

So I am having the Bobcat constructed with the capability of hanging a Jerry Can on the back. I have also been looking around on the internet to locate the "perfect" Jerry Can if it is going to be on my set up. What I am finding out is a few unsettling things. I saw a Scepter Military style can made from plastic that looked really nice.... they dont sell them in the US. And it seems difficult to locate a nice looking metal one to boot. Although I did see some mice looking stainless steel ones for $150.00. :unsure: Then since I live in California, I have to get some special spout to pour with, bla bla bla bla.
Has anyone else run into this problem, or am I just being a baby? I have discovered a "jiggler" hose. Those seem pretty neat. There is a hose company in town that I am going to have build me one so that I can assure that I get a good valve.
Also, I am most likely going up to ATC this weekend. If I do, I promise to take pictures of all the campers in their shop with names of who they belong to.

I'm not clear if you wanted sepeter cans for fuel or water.i have used the scepter cans for water and there is nothing better.I got mine on ebay.it has the wide opening and hose threads opening search for (military water) 2 for about 70 delivered there are tan or green cans. hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice. The Scepter can I am looking for would be used for fuel. I did go to ebay and found a nice red can, and some used green cans. I bid on the red one, $71.00 and asked if the used green ones leaked. I will have to wait for an answer on that one. If this doesn't work out, I might throw the big bucks for the stainless steel one. :oops:SunMan, I didn't see the Wedco until after I made my bid, but that will be my next choice if dont win the bid.

the Moeller scepter gas can is California approved and is on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Resistant-Closures-5-Gallon-Military/dp/B000MT94TC/ref=pd_sim_auto_5/181-3453719-8482441 $30 bucks I have not used this can but looks nice? Good luck

I hate those CARB compliant spouts. And while its required, I"ve yet to hear of anyone being hassled for having the old metal screw lids.

I have a Scepter deisel can I bought before the quit selling them. I also have 2 Wedco yellow diesel cans. The Wedcos are not the new carb compliant models but rather the older style with the NATO style spouts. None of them leak no matter what position they're in. The metal Wedcos don't look as pretty as they once did as they often get carryed in the back of the truck or trailer with just a strap around them so they're a little banged up. That kind of treatment doesn't seem to affect the Scepter. I also have an AT can holder that I bolt to the rear bumper when the camper is on the truck - it works great.
Another option you may want to check into is military surplus NATO cans. I've seen them advertised for as cheap as 4 for $60 in like new condition. They are basically the same as non carb compliant Wedco cans & can be painted - just be sure to comply with DOT laws regarding color coding flamable liquids. Ever noticed the red ring around the spout of an older green Scepter can - also the reason Wedco sells different colors.
Finally, I haven't lived in CA for 18 years but I belive they just can't sell new non CARB compliant cans or be shipped into CA. Nothing saying you couldn't take a road trip to say Colorado for the rally & purchase a couple NATO style Wedco cans here.
One more finally, the reason you can't buy Scepter Fuel cans anymore but you can buy water cans has nothing to do with CARB compliance. They were originally developed under a US military contract & the military doesn't want them to sell them to civilians in the US for some reason - probably never went through DOT testing or some nonsense. You can still buy them in Canada as long as you only bring a couple back at a time & not still in the box so you don't look like your importing them.

Thanks guys. Thankfully I was out bid for the Scepter can on ebay. Stan, that link you sent looks like a nice set up that I will probably go with. And Sunman, Masterplumber and a few others also agree about the Wedco being nice leak proof cans. Personally, I am not going to bother too much with the leak proof, emmissions proof spout. I am planning on mounting the can high enough so I can use that jiggler hose and just siphon straight into the truck from the back of the camper.

Funny you should have trouble finding a good Jerry can. I think I spent a good couple days finding what I wanted. Who would of thunk. In fact I bet I have a dozen 5 gal. cans in the garage that I don't care for. Seems everyone is going the route like Ca. guess it makes sense but what a pain. I ended up finding a couple good plastic cans, one for water the other for diesel (not for CA.)and holders. Heavy duty stuff.

http://www.okoffroad.com/stuff-canholder.htm

I'm using two of these to tote around a couple of extra 5 gallon water cans...

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/fuel.html

Here's a picture of one side of the trailer with a water can mounted on the back. It's a very rugged can and is lined with plastic on the inside to prevent rust. NATO approved.

Attachments

• water_cans.JPG
    water_cans.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 136
Here's a Scepter mounted on the back of my Grandby.

So what kind of extra support is in that wall to hold ol Jerry without problems?

So what kind of extra support is in that wall to hold ol Jerry without problems?

Nothing "in" the wall...Mount was drilled through the frame (I removed the ice box and frame was easy to find with stud finder from inside), then bolted through and backed on inside wall with 19X14 sheet of 3/16 aluminum plate. Ice box replaced. It's been on over 2 years and no sign of movement or stress to the wall. We recently removed the ice box and converted the area to a pantry and no problems could be seen on the inside. I keep the can full of diesel and on the camper 24-7.
As you can see, I did have to move the "porch light" down below the can mount. It's a bit low but works fine.

The saints: Look on eBay for Scepter cans, that's where I bought mine a couple years ago. They are expensive but don't have those terrible "Carb" spouts. I have the "large" military spout for mine that empties 5 gallons in one minute.

Nothing "in" the wall...Mount was drilled through the frame (I removed the ice box and frame was easy to find with stud finder from inside), then bolted through and backed on inside wall with 19X14 sheet of 3/16 aluminum plate. Ice box replaced. It's been on over 2 years and no sign of movement or stress to the wall. We recently removed the ice box and converted the area to a pantry and no problems could be seen on the inside. I keep the can full of diesel and on the camper 24-7.
As you can see, I did have to move the "porch light" down below the can mount. It's a bit low but works fine.

The saints: Look on eBay for Scepter cans, that's where I bought mine a couple years ago. They are expensive but don't have those terrible "Carb" spouts. I have the "large" military spout for mine that empties 5 gallons in one minute.

You got me thinkin now...

Who wants a Scepter can?

http://www.brigadeqm.com/store/qsearch/search.aspx?query=scepter%20military%20fuel%20cans

Back
Top Bottom