John Steinbecks "Travels With Charley"

Stan@FourWheel

I don't know if anyone is familiar with this book, but I found it interesting.

It was written before my time (approx. 1962), but is still worth the read (or listen in this case).

John Steinbeck’s ("Travels With Charley -- In Search of America").

A few different customers over the years told me I should read it.

I found the book "on tapes" and bought it from Craigslist used.

It is a set of 6 Cassette tapes.

I would be glad to mail it (FREE) to anyone who wants to listen to it.

BUT, YOU HAVE TO HAVE A CASSETTE TAPE PLAYER TO LISTEN TO IT.

Once you are done, you can do whatever you want with it.

If you could pass it on again and give it to a friend or another WTW member, that would be great.

I would hate to see it go in the trash.

Just e-mail me your name and postal mailing address and I will drop it in the mail for you.

First come, first served.

Stan The Man

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

DETAILS:

Respected author John Steinbeck was 58 when he set out to rediscover the country he had been writing about for so many years. With his elderly French poodle, Charley, he embarked on a quest across America in his truck camper. From the northernmost tip of Maine to California's Monterey Peninsula. Traveling the interstates and the country roads, they stopped to smell America: truckers and strangers, old friends and new acquaintances. Steinbeck's poignant, perceptive reflections reveal the American character: a blend of unexpected kindliness and racial hostilities, loneliness and humor.

The tapes are read by Gary Sinise.

The total running time of the six tapes is approx. 8 hours.

Attachments

• travels with Charley.jpg
    travels with Charley.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 97
I haven't heard the tape but I will definitely second the recommendation on the book. I found one at a used book store a few months ago and it is great, especially for those of us "of a certain age". Very much a WTW type.

I friend who may stop by Eureka to visit, he has a Class B, named his dog after him. A related book would be Blue Line Highways.

I've enjoyed both the book and the tapes. One thing that I have borrowed from Stienbeck is using liquor as an "ice breaker" in new social settings. It seems like John could get out of potential trouble or learn intimate facts about an area simply sharing some grog. He was a cool guy.

Back
Top Bottom