July 2014 CO Arkansas River High Country

iowahiker

Third section of our 2014 summer Colorado/Wyoming trip after the Snowy Range and Flat Tops:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/9722-snowy-range-southeast-wyoming/
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/9866-colorado-flat-tops/

We explored and day hiked the high country west of the Arkansas River while staying in NF campgrounds without reservations during the busy summer season without difficulty when arriving between Sunday afternoon and mid-day Thursday. We avoided the Aspen area which would have required reservations but did stay a couple of nights in East Vale, Gore Creek CG, mid-week without difficulty when no festivals occurred in Vale.

The NF campgrounds we utilized, most west of Highway 24:

Gold Park: small, quiet, stream side, mostly shaded, no water, level, on a good gravel road
Twin Peaks: medium sized, busy on weekends, stream side, mostly sunny, water, level
Collegiate Peaks: large, busy, stream side, mostly shaded, on a hill side, poor water
Monarch Park: medium sized, near Highway 50, mostly shaded, on a hill side, ok water, not full
Gore Creek (East Vale): medium sized, near I-70, mostly sunny, on a hill side, no water, busy

Roads,campgrounds, and trails were generally busy since this was the summer season but functional since reservations were avoidable. All these campground altitudes are over 9800 feet and we used the furnace on most days. Water was not always available so we filled our tanks at every opportunity. No NF campground had hose threads on water spigots for tank filling so our collection of 2 1/2 gallon jugs worked well.

Gold Park was our favorite campground with stream side off-the-beaten-path character. Primary day hiking was limited to the popular Missouri Lakes/Pass and Fancy Pass trails so our stay was a short three nights. Mid-week was empty but Gold Park CG fills on weekends and the good gravel road in had many dispersed camping opportunities.

The post popular hiking destination, Missouri Lakes:

gallery_5179_185_659661.jpg

Independence Pass was our next destination and is listed as the highest paved pass in the country at over 12,000 feet. We stayed near Twin Lakes in the Twin Peaks CG on the east side of the pass. Aspen lies on the west side of the pass which we wished to avoid because of the large crowds. We enjoyed our stay at busy Twin Peaks CG which is near the road but only filled on weekends and was quiet at night. Highway 82 over Independence Pass is one of the most scenic alpine roads outside of a NP with views like these:

gallery_5179_819_214192.jpg

gallery_5179_819_654702.jpg

The most scenic hike we enjoyed was to Lost Man Pass just west of Independence Pass:

gallery_5179_176_454927.jpg

gallery_5179_819_807164.jpg

Cottonwood Pass and Collegiate Peaks CG were our next destination. The road up to Cottonwood Pass is paved on the east side where Collegiate Peaks CG is located and gravel on the west side as it descends to Taylor Park. Collegiate Peaks CG was popular but trails in the area were less busy than Independence pass. The views at Cottonwood Pass and the hike up to the viewpoint:

gallery_5179_819_524618.jpg

gallery_5179_176_1195147.jpg

Our final destination was Monarch Pass on busy Highway 50 with a very developed pass (ski area and tram to a view). Monarch Park campground sits below the pass and rarely filled but is near the highway. The Continental Divide trail at Monarch Pass is very busy with bikes riding south of the pass with the longest downhill ride in Colorado. North of the pass was lonely and more scenic. Indians constructed rock structures for game drives and hunting north of the pass along the CDT. CDT trail views:

gallery_5179_819_133362.jpg

gallery_5179_819_758014.jpg

We used the Gore Creek CG in East Vail to break our drive back to the Snowy Range in Wyoming. Gore Creek CG was busy and near I-70 but we enjoyed staying near Vail without a reservation and plan to return to hike the extensive trail system in the Gore Range.

Our goal was to hike and meander through Colorado during the busy summer season without reservations and returned satisfied. Hiking in the 10,000 to 13,000 foot altitude proved very healthy after acclimating (assuming you can survive getting acclimated).

Iowa - thanks so much for your report. I've spent a fair bit of time in the area you describe, but learned some new things, which I will put to use during a return trip in August. For example, I've hiked directly from the parking lot on top of Independence Pass, but the Lost Man hike looks a lot better.

I would add to your campground list Lake View on Hwy 82 - only 8 miles east of Twin Peaks. It's bigger, well-maintained, has water and toilets, and is right on the Colorado Trail and the start of the Mt Elbert trail. This is the most popular route up Elbert and might be busy, but it's nice to end the hike right back at your rig. I car-camped there a few years ago and the caretaker warned me to keep my food in the car. There had been a bear attack recently - elsewhere in the valley, but can't remember where - when someone had slept with food in their tent. Not sure what the current situation is, but it always pays to take basic precautions. I was in a tent then too, but now have a pop-op (and yes, have followed the numerous discussions about bears and pop-ups).

Never been over Cottonwood, so plan to do that, plus maybe try to bag Mt Yale. If in Buena Vista, I would heartily recommend K's Dairy Delite. Some people are ambivalent, but I think it's a great institution with bags of small-town atmosphere, and it's open late.

Looks like a great trip. Thanks for posting. May have to get with you for specifics for those campgrounds when we head west.

Back
Top Bottom