Kayaks You Blow Up

Boy is this site great or what.Have been scanning through the Airkayaks tandem,this might be for us.We have a great canoe,a 12' long 43" beam Old Town stillwater.This has served us well for 15 years now and travels well on top of the Bobcat.BUT as we age and still want to have some sort of water craft this may be our answer.The weight is almost the same but it is easier to carry a bag of that weight than the two of us carrying the canoe.
We are going to give this some deep thought.
Jay where did you fine yours at a great price? What extras did you get?Looks like the basic package would be all we need and at $900 + free shipping that wouldn't be that bad of a price.
Thanks for posting this.
Frank

PS what is the difference between the "blue"AE 1007DS-k and the orange one,besides the price?

"PS what is the difference between the "blue"AE 1007DS-k and the orange one,besides the price? "

Frank,

The way it was explained to me is the blue DS kayak comes standard with a high-pressure dropstitch floor & high-back seats. Because I already have the standard orange version I was told I could by the dropstich floor and put it in my kayak. The dropstitch floor is supposed to be stiffer when inflated but since I don't plan to do class 3 rapids anytime soon I didn't buy the floor. There is also an optional "backbone" available that makes the kayak stiffer. Again I opted out. We found paddeling in Bahia Concepcion in my standard orange AE Convertable very pleasant. It tracked nicely. It was certainly stiff enough and easy to paddle. I think if I were going to get anything it would be the high back seats but having said that I was very happy with the kayak and I bought mine used.

When we lived in Oxnard we had those plastic Ocean Kayaks. Yes they are stiffer and easy to paddle. They also require a place to store (I already have too much crap on hooks and in rafters and the UV out here kills everything.) And I didn't want them on the roof of the camper. The AE was a nice compromise. As we all know the word compromise is the natural partner of the words pop up camper.

I ordered the Advanced Element convertible "blue" one from the Air Kayak people.They were great at responding to questions,they seem to answer their e-mails at all times of the day.Evan the phone.Great service.
I will pass on a report as soon as I yes the boat.It comes Wednesday,but we leave for Barcelona soon after that might have to wait until we return.
Thanks to all who have shared info and ideas,it greatly helped.
The difference between the "orange" and "blue" kayak,the blue comes as a package with ripstitch high pressure floor,$200,pump with gauge $40,lumbar back better seats$128,and free foot pegs ($59).If you were to add those options to the orange kayak the price would be about $200 more.It is a better deal to get the package if you want those things.IMO
Frank

I ordered the Advanced Element convertible "blue" one from the Air Kayak people.They were great at responding to questions,they seem to answer their e-mails at all times of the day.Evan the phone.Great service.
I will pass on a report as soon as I yes the boat.It comes Wednesday,but we leave for Barcelona soon after that might have to wait until we return.
Thanks to all who have shared info and ideas,it greatly helped.
The difference between the "orange" and "blue" kayak,the blue comes as a package with ripstitch high pressure floor,$200,pump with gauge $40,lumbar back better seats$128,and free foot pegs ($59).If you were to add those options to the orange kayak the price would be about $200 more.It is a better deal to get the package if you want those things.IMO
Frank

Congrats on the new boat. Hope to see some pictures when you get it in the water.

Have a great time in Barcelona, We were there last summer and enjoyed it.

Back
Top Bottom