Keep the Gen1 tundra or Upgrade?

doinepicstuff

Advanced Member
Hey y'all,
I've been running my 2002 Tundra (215k) miles w/ 2005 Kestrel/Hawk (fully loaded fridge, solar,etc) for a little over a year now and although its an amazing rig I'm considering upgrading the truck. I'd love it to get some feedback from y'all on the topic. My first Gen Tundra brothers what kind of maintenance issues (if any) are y'all having? I recently did the timing belt and water pump and some suspension upgrades on my truck to prevent issues in the future. We plan to be living in her full time next year and traveling the Pan Am/U.S. so I am willing to invest some time and $$$ into the right rig and dialing it in. As I see it the Tundra is a great platform for this rig except it is slightly underpowered and burdened by the weight. After I load all my climbing, biking, surfing, dive gear and 2 people the truck sits fine but just doesn't like climbing those big mountain passes and the MPG is horrible. I know she is way over payload! I've heard this discussion a 1000 times on here and understand so please none of that...

These are the trucks I am looking at: (I know I'll have to mod the bed/build a riser to fit the camper):
New Gen Tundra w/5.7
Chevy 1500
Chevy2500/3500 Diesel
Ford F250/F350 Diesel

I'd appreciate any feedback/experiences with long term ownership/maintenance issues/travel concerns.
One of my concerns is accessible parts/mechanics for the diesels during the Pan Am section of our trip. I am a trained air craft mechanic but have limited Diesel experience and the cummins I owned 8 yrs ago was a nightmare.

Attachments

• Tundra:Kestrel.jpg
    Tundra:Kestrel.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 129
If you're heading south of the border, I would make sure that you can get ultra low sulfur diesel before you buy a new diesel truck. I am not sure that the 'low' sulfur diesel will contribute to the long life of the newer engines. An old sludge burner might be the better choice.

Load capacity as you pointed out is a big deal. I would think for full time and long extended trip bare minimum you need to be looking at 2500 platforms and 3500 would probably make you the happiest. As far as mileage my uncle sold his 2014 Tundra #1 complaint was mileage, he found grandpas 89 GM 2500 4x4 with 30,000 orginal miles on it. He did the National Parks tour last summer with the lesser brand popup and averaged 16mpg without overdrive apparently the old gm AT didnt like the windage but his Tundra rarely did better than 14mpg with a fully functional 5spd. LoL

As mentioned south of the border diesel fuel quality might upset modern US clean diesel fuel systems, but older pre clean diesel models would be ok. The ford 7.4 Harvester diesel is pretty much the defacto standard for folks looking for the ultimate heavy ish truck and go anywhere engine. My cousin has two and rebuilds them as a hobby. People just love that engine. Ford sold thousands of standard cab 7.4L diesels they are still fairly easy to find in great shape. The F350 welding rig my cousin runs is at max weight which I think is around 10,000lbs and hes able to do 18-21mpg highway at 65mph and under.

Well, our 05 Tundra has only 120K on it, but no issues other than regular maintenance. As for the weight, I generally do not worry about being over GVW, unless you are getting over 500 lbs or more. Over a longer time period, it will cause problems from what I have experienced. We have run many wildland fire engines on truck chassis that end up 1000 - 1200 lbs over GVW and it does wear them out in 50 - 75 thousand miles. Lot's of repairs including cracked frames, etc. So my thoughts would be if you keep the weight down, probably not a problem, if running heavy with that many miles on a truck, i would be cautious.

Epic,

I am of little help since our '05 Tundra only has 35K and we will not get our Hawk until Feb...BUT I can help lighten your load! Ditch the tanks and become a real diver [ :)] ...a free diver! Breathhold rules! :D. Heck I have used sand in a fanny pack for weights.

Tundra trucks have an outstanding and deserved reputation and if you can manage your GVW to where nothing will bust...keep that beautiful and functional truck in your photo..hard to beat and you know all about it.

Just my humble opinion......

Phil

Wallowa I am a skin diver. Breath hold is the only way I spear.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

"Skin Diver"...vintage term and a damn good one..perhaps you are near my age...obviously of my Tribe..happy hunting.

Phil

This is exactly the issue I'm facing. I have an '01 reg cab long box 4.7 with a grandby. I live in probably the flattest area in the country and I think the 4.7 is way underpowered. I couldn't imagine what good sized inclines would do to the truck with the camper on. When I am lightly loaded with gear and supplies, the truck will shift out of OD all the time. Even with a stiff wind and/ or a mild incline, it downshifts and screams and is hard to shift back up. And yes, the mileage is horrible. The best I have ever seen, completely empty and unloaded, was 18, all highway. The best I have ever gotten with the camper on was 14. Being a 3rd generation Toyota truck lover, I was so proud to get my first v8 yota. Don't get me wrong, it is still a beautiful truck and is solid and as nice as can be, but I'm over it. I am now on the hunt for the 2nd gen 5.7. After driving both trucks in the same day, it becomes painfully obvious how much better the new truck is. From the normal sized bed to the substantially better interior and awesome motor, the whole package is leaps and bounds better. My thought is that mother Toyota just didn't quite know yet what americans needed from their v8 full size truck at first. My problem now is the truck I want is pretty much a "unicorn". I'm looking for a 4wd reg cab long box 5.7 with power windows. Pretty much all work trucks with roll-up windows. I've decided I'm ok with vinyl floors and vinyl seats and will just swap door panels and window regulators.

Epic and Cerve,

By chance have either one of you weighed your Tundra trucks with the campers on and fully loaded?

I would love to equate your descriptions to a GVW rolling down the road.

OD in Tundra, even empty, is for flat roadways, specifically for freeways. I believe the manual states this. At 2K rpm at cruising speed I get uncomfortable with the possibility of lugging the motor and the normally low indication of oil pressure gets even lower. Has anyone added a real engine oil pressure or temp gauge? Both measurements are vital.

Anyway, if someone has a GVW figure it would help.

Thanks,
Phil

I haven't weighed my rig yet as I have only had the camper for 5 months. My grandby has heater, 2way fridge, 2 fans, and approximately 350 pounds of gear and battery. I also didn't realize OD was a no-no for anything but unloaded and flat conditions. Good point on the low oil pressure too, I notice that from time to time.

Tundra folks say that anything above the first [25%] mark on the oil pressure gauge is normal for an engine at operating temp. Mine has never gone quit that low, but about an estimated 30%+ at around 2K or less rpms.

Silly idiot gauge I guess is better than idiot light! ;)

Phil

Ps...Same for cruise control...only on the level.

You would love the power and the mileage of any modern diesel. My F250 ("bulletproofed" 6.0) has no issues hauling and towing in the mountains. I pick up my new Hawk in a couple of weeks and I probably will barely notice it's effect on milage and passing power. My old trailer was much heavier. There are additives that would help low fuel quality, but you might also want to cary extra sets of fuel filters.

cerve137 said:
This is exactly the issue I'm facing. I have an '01 reg cab long box 4.7 with a grandby. I live in probably the flattest area in the country and I think the 4.7 is way underpowered. I couldn't imagine what good sized inclines would do to the truck with the camper on. When I am lightly loaded with gear and supplies, the truck will shift out of OD all the time. Even with a stiff wind and/ or a mild incline, it downshifts and screams and is hard to shift back up. And yes, the mileage is horrible. The best I have ever seen, completely empty and unloaded, was 18, all highway. The best I have ever gotten with the camper on was 14. Being a 3rd generation Toyota truck lover, I was so proud to get my first v8 yota. Don't get me wrong, it is still a beautiful truck and is solid and as nice as can be, but I'm over it. I am now on the hunt for the 2nd gen 5.7. After driving both trucks in the same day, it becomes painfully obvious how much better the new truck is. From the normal sized bed to the substantially better interior and awesome motor, the whole package is leaps and bounds better. My thought is that mother Toyota just didn't quite know yet what americans needed from their v8 full size truck at first. My problem now is the truck I want is pretty much a "unicorn". I'm looking for a 4wd reg cab long box 5.7 with power windows. Pretty much all work trucks with roll-up windows. I've decided I'm ok with vinyl floors and vinyl seats and will just swap door panels and window regulators.
I feel your pain on the not staying in OD. I've been cross country three times in the last year ahahaha. I love my gen 1 to death and wouldn't be considering anything else if it were just the mpg issue. However, I feel like the truck is seriously overworked by the load. I know of a few people full timing out of their gen1 and fwc so I'm curious if they just keep it under 65 and baby it in the mountains etc.

dharte said:
You would love the power and the mileage of any modern diesel. My F250 ("bulletproofed" 6.0) has no issues hauling and towing in the mountains. I pick up my new Hawk in a couple of weeks and I probably will barely notice it's effect on milage and passing power. My old trailer was much heavier. There are additives that would help low fuel quality, but you might also want to cary extra sets of fuel filters.
Thanks for chiming in! Yeah I miss the power of a diesel some days but don't miss the maintenance. I used to haul a flat bed,bobcat, and mini track with my cummins and still get 16mpg. The lower sulfur/diesel issues in South America scare me. I mean two jerry cans will still only get ya so far haha. As of right now I'm leaning more toward staying true to Toyota.

Wallowa said:
Epic and Cerve,

By chance have either one of you weighed your Tundra trucks with the campers on and fully loaded?

I would love to equate your descriptions to a GVW rolling down the road.

OD in Tundra, even empty, is for flat roadways, specifically for freeways. I believe the manual states this. At 2K rpm at cruising speed I get uncomfortable with the possibility of lugging the motor and the normally low indication of oil pressure gets even lower. Has anyone added a real engine oil pressure or temp gauge? Both measurements are vital.

Anyway, if someone has a GVW figure it would help.

Thanks,
Phil
I've only weighed the truck & camper once and that was for a military move where they pay you by the pound. So not really an accurate representation but it was 6980. I know this is WAY high but once again I was getting paid by the pound...

I find it interesting that I can drive my 05 tundra with an ATC Ocelot on it over Teton Pass on a regular basis, in third gear of course, and keep up with the full size diesel trucks. And not even get close to high RPMs. Maybe our particular truck is just set up with the right way.

I have a 2001 Tundra access cab, v8, 4wd and a 1985 Fleet (no furnace, no fridge). I've weighed it a few times over the past year, always with camping gear, propane and me in it. The first photo is the truck alone. The second is the truck with the Fleet and the last is the truck with Fleet AND about 30 gallons of water, a mountain bike, a cooler full of good for 4 days of camping and related gear, and a completely full tank of gas- basically the heaviest I've ever been. With air cell bumpers, the truck handled the weight fine and I can cruise on the freeway at 65 mph and get 17 mpg. I have to push it to maintain speed uphill, but taking it out of overdrive and lowering my expectations does the trick.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Wander The West mobile app

Attachments

• 1450270258441.jpg
    1450270258441.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 1450270291138.jpg
    1450270291138.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 1450270341628.jpg
    1450270341628.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 109
Back