Keeping a battery charged

Jamesiam

After returning from Collins lake on 12/11 a friend called and asked if we could head over the pass on the following weekend. We would be staying at a friends house but a storm was coming in and she wanted the extra security in case we got stuck.
I left the battery "Cabela's Advanced Angler AGM Batteries 24 group," in camper for the week and took off the following weekend. It was a great time heading over the pass and returning during the storms but besides a 45 min delay, it was smooth but slow traveling. Camper wasn't needed but it sure felt nice to have.
My question finally! After returning the following weekend I took out battery and plugged into charger. 100%
full charge. It is getting a charge from the Ranger II wiring harness that plugs into Toyota Tundra bumper/trailer plug.
Is it okay to have a constant charge going to full battery. Should I at least unplug battery until I want to throw a recharge?
Thank you in advance, happy trails

A "dumb" charger like a cheap batt charger is ok to charge up a battery, but it is not good to leave it on for more than a day or two.

A "Battery Tender" type charger or a solar charge controller will bring the batt up to the proper charge and then taper off. Lead acid batts need to sulfate and float at the right voltage to maintain. It's a bit of science but not a mystery.

I didn't really answer your question, but if it shows a full charge-then leave it as is. Don't try to keep charging it.

Leaving it connected to the truck alt should not cause any problems as that is more like a "trickle" charge, but do keep an eye on the water level occasionally.

Jeff

PS = if any of my advice is a bit off, you guys correct me - ok!

Or buy a Battery Tender, sometimes you can catch the Jr model for $19, usually $29. I must have 6 of them and keep my toyhauler and 7.3 plugged in. I think the best deal is to have a solar panel with a controller taking care of it. Never have to concern yourselve with it.

As mentioned it all depends on what voltage you're pushing to the battery and what it likes to see. Too high of a voltage and you'll take life off your battery. Non-sealed batteries are more forgiving because you can top them back off when they boil off some, but they have other hassles to deal with (like topping them off periodically).

Back
Top Bottom