Kings Canyon / Sequoia NP

billharr

Going to do Kings Canyon and Sequoia NP after Labor Day. This will be the last NP in CA I have not camped in (not counting Channel Islands NP). Anyone who has camped there, any must see or do items? I did stay in Sequoia 40+ years ago on a motorcycle, sleeping bag on the ground no tent, not that tough anymore
afm199.gif

Bear country, keep things clean and you should have no problems.

My favorite place is Big Meadow, almost like dispersed camping, no fee, not many campers, no water, yet fire rings and pit toilets.

It's between Kings Canyon NP and Sequoia NP on The Generals Highway (Hwy 198) then a northeast turn on Forest Service Road 14S11 (if you need more details than that just let me know). You do pass Big Meadow on the way to the campground units.

img_103289_0_dc8c110c59631bba6c0e0320206679bd.jpg

img_103289_2_bee47d422d0e20dbfcf1d397cd670c85.jpg

There are 5 campground units...
You'll see unit 1 first.

img_103289_4_4a425541715d94299febe4673adeda3d.jpg

And, unit 5 is the most remote (roughly around these coordinates 36°43'21.82"N 118°48'47.84"W).

img_103289_6_87c5e8cab62418f0beada67c497b48ec.jpg

Lots of dirt roads to explore, and most of them can be done with a truck and FWC or ATC.
Easy to get to Wilsonia (private cabins, however, driving around is permitted, small store, too), Grant Grove, park headquarters, The Canyon, Lake Hume, (church camp, however, open to the public & gas available) and all of the main areas, yet usually peace & quiet back at your camp. If you leave your campsite, be sure to mark it "Occupied" (I leave a small tent), so no one will think you've left for good.

Enjoy.

. If you leave your campsite, be sure to mark it "Occupied" (I leave a small tent), so no one will think you've left for good.
Enjoy

This is very good info. Remember what Ted went through when he camper there.

We have only been to Kings and stayed at Hume Lake,tented for a couple nights. The lake was nice for the canoe.

This sounds like a nice trip. Like the Big Meadow #5, sounds nice and quiet.

As for the "bears" just make sure you don't have things out around your site especially when you are not at site. To me that's just common sense and good camp practice.
It's what we do all the time.

Frank

Oops, I almost forgot which forum I was on...

You may want to know that the Big Meadow area is frequented by...

Hunters (only when something tasty is in season).
Motorized vehicle riders (usually only weekends).

And, each of the 5 "Units" has about 5-8 campsites, however, I've often been the only one in a "unit' on weekdays, this time of year.

You like to hike? In the beginning, as you enter the Park, the first campground is Potwisha. I will be on your left. From there, hike to Marble Falls, about 4-5 miles rt. I can be hot, but at the end are these amazing pools, surrounded by white marble. Outstanding. Not a lot of elevation gain, but you will be hiking upriver along the canyon walls. For a strenuous hike, go to Heather Lake/Pear lake. Allow all day for Pear Lake. Hard, but worth the effort. If you want to go to Mineral King, Eagle Lake is excellent. Most of the trails in MK were made by the miners. They were not interested in making the trails easy, they just wanted to get to their destination. As a result, most of them are steep. Eagle tops out at 10,000, well worth the effort. I can't help you with the camping part, I have a friend in 3 Rivers with a small house. Good luck, have fun.

Back
Top Bottom