How to not get locked in my camper

MarkCamper4x4

Hello. I am brand new here, and so I hope I am posting at the right place. I need some guidance.

I am in-process of purchasing a lightweight camper that fully fits inside my 6-foot 2024 Tacoma bed with the tailgate closed. I want the tailgate closed when I am driving so I can utilize the truck's backup camera, sensors, etc.

How do I keep the tailgate from being closed on me when I am inside the camper?
And, how can I make sure that the tailgate isn't stolen?

I think both of these are probably remote possibilites, but you never know!

Thanks! Mark

Mark, first… welcome to WTW! Is your tailgate locked via a fob or a key? If fob, can you trigger an open with the fob? My guess is that if you can’t trigger an open, you’re going to be crawling out the emergency exit. What camper are you considering?

While I understand your desire to keep the tailgate on to retain camera and sensor function, your best bet may be to add a camera to the camper or license plate bracket. Additionally, having the tailgate on makes it a bit more awkward to enter and exit. Geezers like me have lost a lot of flexibility.

Welcome to Wander the West! A lot of questions there.

Sagebrush is correct. At least for the 3rd generation, the key fob will unlock the doors but needs a dealer added, extra cost option to unlock the tailgate. Like the car doors, it only unlocks but does not open any of the doors nor drop the tailgate. Although to my surprise, the 2024 TRD Pro now has a powered tailgate where you tap a taillight, and it will open or close the tailgate. I'm guessing this is not tied to the key fob as makes no sense for tailgate to drop each time you unlock the doors. OP did not say which model he has so not sure if they have that option and regardless may be difficult to tap a taillight from inside.

If you choose to go without the tailgate, "Camera Source" sells a license plate mounted camera that has correct connector to plug into the Tacoma harness. I use it. Camera is not as high quality as the stock one but is adequate for what you need. Again, this is 3rd gen HW so contact Camera Source if it fits a 4th gen. I don't know about the 2024 but the only sensor in the tailgate in earlier Tacoma's is the camera so you can remove the tailgate without loss of function with the remote license plate camera. (BTW, Blind side monitors are in the bumper, not the tailgate. )

Link is here:
Tacoma Camera Kit

Keeping the tailgate on has its advantages as it is a real PITA to remove and later put back on, and at my age, is borderline too heavy to easily carry once off the truck. If you keep the tailgate on, there are a couple of aftermarket bolt on solutions that make it more difficult to steal the tailgate, but being "bolt-on" just means a thief needs more time to remove the anti-thief device before taking the tailgate. Real deterrent is thief is probably not carrying a sack of tools.

One such is here:
Tailgate Anti-Thief Device

Back
Top Bottom