KOFA NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE

LAWNMOWERMAN

Here are a couple pics from the "KOFA NWR".This area is perfect for winter wandering.Low elevation,rugged mountains,Bighorn Sheep and some very clean cabins that are open to the public.

Attachments

• phpLAd6n9PM.jpg
    phpLAd6n9PM.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 254
  • php5IhzfvPM.jpg
    php5IhzfvPM.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 321
  • phpvKSdi1PM.jpg
    phpvKSdi1PM.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 321
  • phpFdlelxPM.jpg
    phpFdlelxPM.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 280
Looks like a great spot. Are the cabins first-come, first-served, and are they usually available?

Here are some interior shots.There are a couple more cabins that I did not go to on this trip.First come first serve except at the Hoodoo Hilton.(LOL)

Attachments

• phpOQge82PM.jpg
    phpOQge82PM.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 191
  • phpNfXsIvPM.jpg
    phpNfXsIvPM.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 204
  • phpluJhncPM.jpg
    phpluJhncPM.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 205
  • phpCkvjBDPM.jpg
    phpCkvjBDPM.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 193
KOFA is located where?

Just out side of Yuma, AZ. Here are the directions: From I-8 in California: take the Winterhaven Drive and Fourth Avenue Exit south into Yuma, Arizona. The refuge office is located at the first intersection.
Directions to the refuge proper: From Yuma, take Highway 95 north towards Quartzsite, Arizona, to refuge entrance signs.

Here are a couple pics from the "KOFA NWR".This area is perfect for winter wandering.Low elevation,rugged mountains,Bighorn Sheep and some very clean cabins that are open to the public.

Which road is that? I was over there a week ago. Coming out of Quartzsite, I found a pipeline road first, and then the road to the Palm trees. They allow camping in the NWR, but the BLM land before the NWR may be closed to camping.

I camped in Quartzsite, mostly, which is nice in December because it is empty. I'd go to Kofa if I went later. Does anyone know if it gets at all busy? The BLM guy told me they expect a million people at Quartzsite at the peak. I was there last January, and it was packed. Not before Xmas. Here are some pictures of some of these areas:

http://picasaweb.google.com/sears.george/Quartzsite2009#

Looks good. Don't really need a cabin.

George

Nice set LMM!

Kofa is a really cool place. I was there for 3 days over the Thanksgiving holiday. We stayed off of King Road, under Castle Dome. Temps were good, but winds were a little high during the day. A very cool place way out in the middle of nowhere.

Our group was especially enthralled when two custom Landcruiser campers from the Netherlands, happened through our camp -

738260762_DGm5s-O.jpg

Nice set LMM!

Kofa is a really cool place. I was there for 3 days over the Thanksgiving holiday. We stayed off of King Road, under Castle Dome. Temps were good, but winds were a little high during the day. A very cool place way out in the middle of nowhere.

Our group was especially enthralled when two custom Landcruiser campers from the Netherlands, happened through our camp -

738260762_DGm5s-O.jpg

I'm pretty sure I passed those guys heading southbound on MEX-1 in Baja yesterday or the day before. Sick rigs.

I'll throw in a few Kofa pictures from about 8 or 9 years ago. My wife and I did a 9 day loop around the Kofa's and up and down every canyon. A bit over 160 miles, lots of low range 4x4 and maybe we saw one or two other trucks the whole trip. We also spent a few days at Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge that is to the south of Kofa. Very beautiful and remote.

Attachments

• IMGP2169.jpg
    IMGP2169.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 137
  • Cofa 32.jpg
    Cofa 32.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCN0137_1.jpg
    DSCN0137_1.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 136
Back
Top Bottom