Labor day weekend trip to the White mountains and more

craig333

Riley's Human
I managed to get off work early on friday. Mangaged to hit the road by 1pm. I was hoping to make it to monitor pass. No traffic on the met, very few going up 89. Way too early to stop so I headed on to Green Creek. Still too early so I pushed on and made it to Big Pine. It was dark and I was going to camp right there by 168 but I changed my mind and headed up the road. Made it to Grandview campground about nine. It was pretty full and even with a full moon it was hard to figure what was a spot and what wasn't.
grandview.jpg

Didn't have five dollars so had to make do with a 20. I just happened to camp next to these two guys, who apparently didn't know each other.
toyhawk.jpg

fleet.jpg

Obviously not WTWers, as they both had the jacks on.

Unfortunately Saturday was the grand opening of the newly rebuilt visitor center. Amongst the throngs of people were these guys.
amateurradio.jpg

I did both trails. I really enjoyed the methusela trails, my camera just can't do the pics justice.
trees.jpg

dvalley.jpg

Death valley in the distance. Continuing on up the road to the Patriarch grove I saw a Wolf running across the road full speed. Now of course there are no wolves here right? Well if it was a coyote it was some kind of genetically enhanced super coyote. It was huge. I'm not even ambitious enough to continue on and try to hike past the locked gate and not sure the altitude wasn't having an effect I decided to take the silver canyon road on down. Man thats steep.

On to part 2 of the trip, a volcanic exploration. Crossed the tablelands and found a spot to spend the night then headed on into Mammoth. Hit up the visitor center and glad I did. Visited the earthquake fault which isn't a fault but rather a fissure. I was going to visit the devils postpile but I'm not much for shuttle busses in the best of times and during the holiday mammoth was just a zoo. I couldn't wait to get out of there. I'll have to try that another time.

I did make it to the Inyo craters. Very interesting. Now I know what phreatic means. Wasn't easy to find though, they need to mark the roads better.
inyocrater.jpg

Then it was on to the hot creek geothermal area.
hotcreekgeothermal.jpg

Also stopped by the obsidian dome before heading over to Panum crater.

Made it back to Monitor Pass to spend the night before heading home. Somewhere I dented my bumper and had a small issue with a drawer.
minorrepairneeded.jpg

All in all a very good trip even if my barbecue did malfunction.

I just now read they had an open gate day on Sunday /sigh.

Silver canyon road is marked as 4wd low range only. Its not really 4wd but its so steep you really do need low range. Trying it just using your brakes on such a steep rocky road may lead to some unplanned sliding. It definitely has a pucker factor. A couple of the switchbacks I had to backup to make. Down lower theres a half dozen stream crossings, no depth to speak of. Considering I drove most of it at under 5mph I don't know that it saved me any time. Still you do drive through some very interesting geology.

I just now read they had an open gate day on Sunday /sigh.

Silver canyon road is marked as 4wd low range only. Its not really 4wd but its so steep you really do need low range. Trying it just using your brakes on such a steep rocky road may lead to some unplanned sliding. It definitely has a pucker factor. A couple of the switchbacks I had to backup to make. Down lower theres a half dozen stream crossings, no depth to speak of. Considering I drove most of it at under 5mph I don't know that it saved me any time. Still you do drive through some very interesting geology.

Open gate is usually over Labor Day. Craig, thanks for the information on Silver Canyon Road.

Nice TR, Craig. We're familiar with the Tablelands and 168, but have yet to make the trek up to Grandview. Instead, we visited familiar and not so familiar local haunts this weekend. Hopefully, I'll get a TR later in the week.

Thanks, Craig., a visit to some of my favorite spots...sounds like you had a nice time. :)

It was a couple days camped at Grandview in May 2010 and meeting a (non-WTW) FWC owner that got me thinking about mods to my FWC and then doing a web search for guidance on those mods that brought WTW to my attention...and the rest is history. ;)
I'm glad to hear that you thought Silver Canyon was kinda hairy. I descended it back in the early '90s driving a Toyota Tacoma (if that's what they were called back then), and I thought it was scary. :unsure:

Good stuff Craig. Hoping to make another run up 395 before winter sets in and the White's are on my list. I can already feel a hint of Fall in the air this morning, better get moving!

Today, Sunman, feel today here locally. We gotta make those high altitude trips in all of our heads soon!

Great Pictures Craig! Looks like ya'll had a great time. :) My girl and I were up there a few weeks ago. I've been slacking on the trip report. It's a cool area for sure. We ended up biking/hiking to the top of white mountain.

My girl and I were up there a few weeks ago. I've been slacking on the trip report.

Yeah, get on that trip report, dude!
It's required if you want to advance from probationary to full WTW membership.
( jk
wink.gif
)

Thanks for the memory jog on Silver Creek Canyon. One of my all time favorite drives. Decided this would be a short cut back to Bishop so we could make it to the bar for the Yankees vs Hawks World Series game (95-96??). Wild drive listening to the game on the radio, sipping beers and then wondering if we would have to reverse the whole mess with not being able to make the stream crossings... Classic. sounds like a great trip.

Great Pictures Craig! Looks like ya'll had a great time. :) My girl and I were up there a few weeks ago. I've been slacking on the trip report. It's a cool area for sure. We ended up biking/hiking to the top of white mountain.

Sure sounds like we all are ready for some Fall trips! Nice pictures-and where is the smoke-not used to seeing the sky without it!:LOL:

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom