Ladder storage on front of camper

Doff

Advanced Member
Looking to get a ladder and store it on the front of the camper (over the window that faces the truck cab). Any suggestions on a lightweight packable ladder? Any suggestions on a set up (ideally adhesive) that would securely hang and hold the ladder in place?

Thanks!

Also…can I use a telescoping ladder that would lean against the popped up top of my FWC? Or would that damage the camper roof?

I've just purchased a 8.5' telescoping ladder and have only tried it out. My 2008 Hawk has enough battle scars I don't worry too much about the roof edge. It's backed by one of the aluminum framing members.

I first tried it with the top down, and was able to reach the roof, where I'll be installing my rocket box for a Thanksgiving trip.
Later, my wife had the top popped up and I leaned the ladder against the top of the lower wall (also reinforced with framing) and the top of the ladder pushed in a bit against the liner. It didn't seem to be a problem. That would come in handy if I woke up to a heavy snowfall and needed to clear the roof before dropping the top.

Agreed not light weight but much more compact that a standard ladder...caution: While climbing to push off the snow from my solar panels last winter on a ski trip...I evidently did not secure and lock the extended ladder telescoping latches...got three steps up while holding snow removing rubber scrapper and the ladder suddenly collapsed down into itself and throwing me backwards with a leg through the steps...fortunately I landed in about 2+ feet of soft snow and only barked my shin and rang my bell...user error!

Ps...Sorry did not answer about storage of a ladder between the cab of the truck and the front of the camper ["over the window"]...my opinion, not a good idea...especially off-road....any movement of the ladder could damage the cab or camper and if the relative distance between the cab and camper changes do to flex in truck bed and cab you could see real damage to one or both...

Wallowa said:
Agreed not light weight but much more compact that a standard ladder...caution: While climbing to push off the snow from my solar panels last winter on a ski trip...I evidently did not secure and lock the extended ladder telescoping latches...got three steps up while holding snow removing rubber scrapper and the ladder suddenly collapsed down into itself and throwing me backwards with a leg through the steps...fortunately I landed in about 2+ feet of soft snow and only barked my shin and rang my bell...user error!

Ps...Sorry did not answer about storage of a ladder between the cab of the truck and the front of the camper ["over the window"]...my opinion, not a good idea...especially off-road....any movement of the ladder could damage the cab or camper and if the relative distance between the cab and camper changes do to flex in truck bed and cab you could see real damage to one or both...
ouch ! that could have easily been much worse.
there was a guy here in pdx who stored his camp table under the foward portion of his camper that overhangs the truck cab. he used some z brkts with some sort of lock mechanism. worked for him

I have an 8 foot extend n climb ladder that I carry in a box I made that is hung from the underside of the overhang. I made some Z brackets to hold it to the wooden overhang using T-nuts under the slider bed. I slightly countersunk them so the wouldn't hinder the movement of the bed. I used 1 x 4 fir. and 1/4" Luan plywood. I did have to raise my camper the width of a 2 x 4 laying flat to give me the clearance over the cab of my '08 Dodge 2500.

I also have a Eezi Awn camp table hanging under the overhang (installed by my FWC dealer in Salt Lake City when we purchased the camper.

Thanks for all the replies. So it sounds like a telescoping ladder leaned up against the roof of the pop-up won’t cause any damage to
The roof of the camper?

camper rich said:
I have an 8 foot extend n climb ladder that I carry in a box I made that is hung from the underside of the overhang. I made some Z brackets to hold it to the wooden overhang using T-nuts under the slider bed. I slightly countersunk them so the wouldn't hinder the movement of the bed. I used 1 x 4 fir. and 1/4" Luan plywood. I did have to raise my camper the width of a 2 x 4 laying flat to give me the clearance over the cab of my '08 Dodge 2500.

I also have a Eezi Awn camp table hanging under the overhang (installed by my FWC dealer in Salt Lake City when we purchased the camper.
I like that idea. Do you have any photos of this set up?

Doff said:
I like that idea. Do you have any photos of this set up?
Sorry, no photos, I gave up trying to post photos on this forum a long time ago, I never figured out how to get them to work--the files were always too large.
PM me your email and I'll send you some.

Just my thoughts...not much space between cab and overhang of a FWC....if you do not allow sufficient clearance between the cab and FWC they may make contact; there is movement between the two off road or when you hit bump...ouch indeed...if you raise the camper [or increase the load on the 'roof'] then the CG goes up as does the wind resistance.. hey, no free lunches.

Very satisfied with the collapsible ladder [Amazon]....stores into a small place and is very sturdy IF you remember to assure that all segments are locked into place! I got a cheap lesson... :cool:

Wallowa said:
Just my thoughts...not much space between cab and overhang of a FWC....if you do not allow sufficient clearance between the cab and FWC they may make contact; there is movement between the two off road or when you hit bump...ouch indeed...if you raise the camper [or increase the load on the 'roof'] then the CG goes up as does the wind resistance.. hey, no free lunches.

Very satisfied with the collapsible ladder [Amazon]....stores into a small place and is very sturdy IF you remember to assure that all segments are locked into place! I got a cheap lesson... :cool:
Your right, the CG is raised 1-1/2" in my 3/4 ton Dodge. That can happen by running larger tires etc etc. My ladder box clears the roof by 3/4" to 1" and it has never hit the roof in 5 trips to Baja. The raised platform also allows me to have outside access to the turnbuckle area so I can store things such as RV carpet, kayak paddles, wheel struts for my blow-up boat etc, as well as room to mount my shovel between the camper and the bed. The trade-off was worth it for me. I don't think the CG is as high as a flatbed mounted camper.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom