Lake Front Camping Between Placerville and Monterey

rich

Contributors
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a new spot to hit this weekend. Trying to stay within a 3 - 3.5 hour range of Placerville. Specifically looking for some beautiful lake front camping that won't have snow on the ground still. We are bringing our paddleboards with us and want to do some flat water paddling while we are there. If we don't find anything we will probably head to the Santa Cruz area and paddle the Elk Horn slough. But I bet one of you has a gorgeous lake spot in your back pocket that might be closer and nicer than the slough :)

We are open to coastal bays and lagoons as well if there is good camping near by.

Thanks for the help!

The East Side of Lake Berryessa can be really nice this time of year.

(just a few miles past the Monticello Dam and Markley Cove)

It is usually REALLY quite up there this time of year.

The lake is full, very calm, and everything around is green.

The only problem might be the campground details ?

They used to have some really nice campsites in 2 different locations, but the State or Water Resourse Board took back the land lease for the campgrounds and resorts up there for some reason.

Really weird to go up there one year and see resorts, marinas, and campgrounds. Then the next year go back and there is nothing there. It is like the entire city disappeared.

But they still had empty campsites on the lake and nobody around. Very peaceful.

You could try looking up ...

Pleasure Cove Marina

or

Steele Canyon Resort

happy camping !

Attachments

• 121212.JPG
    121212.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 109
  • 232323.JPG
    232323.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 343434.JPG
    343434.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 676767.JPG
    676767.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 114
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a new spot to hit this weekend. Trying to stay within a 3 - 3.5 hour range of Placerville. Specifically looking for some beautiful lake front camping that won't have snow on the ground still. We are bringing our paddleboards with us and want to do some flat water paddling while we are there. If we don't find anything we will probably head to the Santa Cruz area and paddle the Elk Horn slough. But I bet one of you has a gorgeous lake spot in your back pocket that might be closer and nicer than the slough :)

We are open to coastal bays and lagoons as well if there is good camping near by.

Thanks for the help!

Elk Horn slough would be a great place to use your water craft.The only campground with a lake close may be Pinto Lake in Watsonville.It's a city park they used to have camping there.Also there is a campground in Monterey,who knew.It's called Veterans Park.Nice setting no lake nearby but if the bay is calm that would work.After all at times the Pacific can be like a big lake when it's calm.

Frank

Elk Horn slough would be a great place to use your water craft.The only campground with a lake close may be Pinto Lake in Watsonville.It's a city park they used to have camping there.Also there is a campground in Monterey,who knew.It's called Veterans Park.Nice setting no lake nearby but if the bay is calm that would work.After all at times the Pacific can be like a big lake when it's calm.

Frank

Pinto Lake does have camping.It's geared more for larger camping types but it is close ,less than 10 miles from the back area of Elk Horn Slough.Nothing rustic about it but the lake is nice.Lots of birds and even some fishing.

Frank

The East Side of Lake Berryessa can be really nice this time of year.

(just a few miles past the Monticello Dam and Markley Cove)

It is usually REALLY quite up there this time of year.

The lake is full, very calm, and everything around is green.

The only problem might be the campground details ?

They used to have some really nice campsites in 2 different locations, but the State or Water Resourse Board took back the land lease for the campgrounds and resorts up there for some reason.

Really weird to go up there one year and see resorts, marinas, and campgrounds. Then the next year go back and there is nothing there. It is like the entire city disappeared.

But they still had empty campsites on the lake and nobody around. Very peaceful.

You could try looking up ...

Pleasure Cove Marina

or

Steele Canyon Resort

happy camping !

Thanks Stan

Those old sites are all gone now and your just left with Pleasure Cove Marina camping which isn't our cup of tea although this early in the season it might be a little less "spring break" like than it is in the summer. Might camp somewhere else and take the paddle boards out on the lake sometime though.

Pinto Lake does have camping.It's geared more for larger camping types but it is close ,less than 10 miles from the back area of Elk Horn Slough.Nothing rustic about it but the lake is nice.Lots of birds and even some fishing.

Frank

Thanks Frank, the coastal winds are due to be too high for us to paddleboard the slough this weekend. It gets tough going human powered against the tide and wind while pushing the weight of my dog too :) Pinto lake sounds interesting though, will have to check that out. It might be more wind protected than the slough.

I really want a lake that I can drive up, camp on the edge and put the boards right in but ost of those are high country Sierra lakes with 4x4 roads in that are still snowbound right now. It's warm and I'm itching to go, it's time to get the snow melt over with!

You might want to look and see if Peninsula campground is open at Folsom Lake. It's a remote campground accessed off HY 49 out of Pilot Hill.
I would think it would be open now with minimal campers.

Sac native and I've never been to camp far west :(

Heading to woodland for the scottish games tomorrow. Might be tempted to stop by fwc and see whats happening.

Camp Far West.
North of Sac (30)min.

gallery_2406_116_327820.jpg

That place looks perfect Marc thanks for the tip. The wind kicked up good this morning so no paddle boarding, going to have to shift to hiking and climbing today but I am definitely going to hit upncamp far west.

In this picture it looks like you have a little mud on the tires, did you find some good off road trails around the lake.

That place looks perfect Marc thanks for the tip. The wind kicked up good this morning so no paddle boarding, going to have to shift to hiking and climbing today but I am definitely going to hit upncamp far west.

In this picture it looks like you have a little mud on the tires, did you find some good off road trails around the lake.

Your welcome. I discovered it back in January since it is close to where my campers are being built. So this is home away from form home :)
The campground has to parts. The rear of it has mostly dispersed camping with dirt roads. Hence the mud.
There is great fishing, I wake up to the ducks every morning!
I'll be there again next week, I'll keep an eye out for you or if yo see me come by. I;m the guy in that white camper :LOL:

gallery_2406_116_89279.jpg

Your welcome. I discovered it back in January since it is close to where my campers are being built. So this is home away from form home :)
The campground has to parts. The rear of it has mostly dispersed camping with dirt roads. Hence the mud.
There is great fishing, I wake up to the ducks every morning!
I'll be there again next week, I'll keep an eye out for you or if yo see me come by. I;m the guy in that white camper :LOL:

gallery_2406_116_89279.jpg

Sound good Mark, as long as the winds cooperate I am going to shoot for next weekend also. I need top post a picture of my new set up but I'm in a black 4 door Tundra with an older FWC on it. You'll probably notice me because I'll be throwing a ball for a black and white border collie in the hopes that it will someday tire him out :)

Thanks Frank, the coastal winds are due to be too high for us to paddleboard the slough this weekend. It gets tough going human powered against the tide and wind while pushing the weight of my dog too :) Pinto lake sounds interesting though, will have to check that out. It might be more wind protected than the slough.

I really want a lake that I can drive up, camp on the edge and put the boards right in but ost of those are high country Sierra lakes with 4x4 roads in that are still snowbound right now. It's warm and I'm itching to go, it's time to get the snow melt over with!

The really plus thing about Pinto Lake is that it would be protected from the wind. I bet the week ends are busy with people and it is a city park.There is a nice drive up lake off hwy 4 at the Spicer road turn off.It's about 9 miles in on that road and about 2 miles from Spicer lake.It's Union and Utica lake,drive up and camp.Elevation is about 6,000'.It does get windy in the afternoons like all Sierra lakes but the mornings are great.There are hiking trails in the area and even a bald eagle once in a while. Spicer lake would be nice by the dam but that lake gets very windy early and there are more people.. The snow should be gone soon.I am headed up that way this week ,will give a snow report.

Frank

The really plus thing about Pinto Lake is that it would be protected from the wind. I bet the week ends are busy with people and it is a city park.There is a nice drive up lake off hwy 4 at the Spicer road turn off.It's about 9 miles in on that road and about 2 miles from Spicer lake.It's Union and Utica lake,drive up and camp.Elevation is about 6,000'.It does get windy in the afternoons like all Sierra lakes but the mornings are great.There are hiking trails in the area and even a bald eagle once in a while. Spicer lake would be nice by the dam but that lake gets very windy early and there are more people.. The snow should be gone soon.I am headed up that way this week ,will give a snow report.

Frank

Perfect Frank, that is great I haven't had time to drive up and check the snow conditions yet. My wife and I are trying to hit as many Sierra lakes as possible this summer with the paddle boards as soon a the melt happens. Although it's gonna be a bad mosquito hatch this year. Might have to work on a screen door for the camper :)

Back
Top Bottom