Lake Superior

Ramblinman

To those who have experience driving around the great lakes. I am in the midst of planning my route to pick up my FWC. To do this I must drive from Western Canada to Eastern Canada. I have the choice of driving North or South of the Great Lake.

I am wondering if anyone can comment on which route to take. I am interested in efficiency, speed limit and perhaps scenery.

At present I am considering driving to pick up the camper through the US (South of Superior) and returning through Canada North of Superior. Not sure if one route is vastly more expeditious or easier to drive. I hear the route to the north is very scenic.

Any advice, comments, info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have done both. In short, the southern route is faster and the northern route is more scenic. Interstate definitely rules for getting across the continent. The UP in Michigan is very scenic for sure, but it's a detour if you're trying to make time. You could take the fast ferry from Milwaukee to Muskegon and if you time your arrival to near the departure it can save you the time and hassle of going through Chicago. You can then get into Ontario in a few spots.

The drive north on 400 / 69 / 17 is pretty scenic and classically Ontarian. I'd recommend it for sure, but it is slow with a lot of the highway along Sperior being curvy and 90km/h.

Hope that's a start for you. I guess it really depends on your time, your start location and destination. Lots of choices!

The route along the North Shore of Lake Superior is stunningly beautiful, with many camping opportunities.

Going south and getting on an interstate will be the fastest, but you will see nothing.

Where do you want to spend your time? If you went south you could then spend the couple days that you gain in Yellowstone NP or Glacier NP.

Also, gas will be cheaper for you here in the US, just another thing to consider.

Where are you picking up the camper? What is your time frame for the whole journey?

Going on the South side of the lake has nothing to do with an interstate, from Duluth you'd be on US2/M28 to Sault Ste Marie. Rural roads through the forest. The scenic bits are off the highway. Not sure if it would save you any miles, depending on just where you are heading from and to.

I90/94 got me across rather quickly. Along with the ferry. The Soo is an optional border crossing depending on latitude and attitude.

The route along the North Shore of Lake Superior is stunningly beautiful, with many camping opportunities.

Going south and getting on an interstate will be the fastest, but you will see nothing.

Where do you want to spend your time? If you went south you could then spend the couple days that you gain in Yellowstone NP or Glacier NP.

Also, gas will be cheaper for you here in the US, just another thing to consider.

Where are you picking up the camper? What is your time frame for the whole journey?

I guess I want to spend most of my time with the Camper which I need to pick up in Ottawa. I was kind of thinking race out east pick up the camper and relax on the way home. This said. It may be a great chance o see both sides of the border. So a part of me is thinking I should take this opportunity while I have the chance.

Is the ferry ride worth the journey or is it just a ferry. I have Zero experience with this part of the country so please keep the info coming.

I have about 2 Weeks in total. The G/F wants to do it closer to 12.

I think 12 weeks sounds much better than 2. :D

Ha! I wish that were the case. However I do need to find a way to pay for it. :rolleyes:

Anyone take their dogs across the border? If so any suggestions? From what I gather you only need rabies Vac and a general health report. Has anyone out there experienced any other potholes?

Ha! I wish that were the case. However I do need to find a way to pay for it. :rolleyes:

Anyone take their dogs across the border? If so any suggestions? From what I gather you only need rabies Vac and a general health report. Has anyone out there experienced any other potholes?

I think you just the statement of health that notes the rabies thing. I've crossed and they were never very interested in the papers, didn't check them.

Wow! I am hearing right? The "Geographic" Detour to the South (Chicago/Milwaukee/Detroit) beats the slower scenic route to the North and South of Superior?

Wow! I am hearing right? The "Geographic" Detour to the South (Chicago/Milwaukee/Detroit) beats the slower scenic route to the North and South of Superior?

Only in a hurry and on a budget!

I've done the 'southern' route 2 times and the northern route 1.5 times.

My two favorite lasting memories from the southern route are:

1) Driving through Detroit on an elevated portion of the freeway and looking down into a neighborhood and seeing a burning car with nobody really giving it much concern :eek:

2) Getting out to buy gas somewhere along I-90 in a terrible blizzard - looking over to see the stop lights all horizontal in the wind. Thinking to myself - should I keep driving? Screw it - we push on. Later that day I go into McDonalds to take care of some business, as I open the first set of doors into the entry way the wind blows in and pops the false ceiling panels out! Again I wonder if conditions are safe... We kept going :oops:

I vote for the southern route to get there - lay the hammer down and get the camper!

Back
Top Bottom