Last FWC trip Hwy 1/Yosemite holiday weekend

dorocks

[SIZE=10pt]Took a trip starting Memorial Day weekend. Normally never go anywhere on holiday weekends but my boy had broken his back in January and we were homebound for several months taking care of him. He is back to work so we said we got to get a vacation in. [/SIZE]

I know one can’t get a campsite on Highway 1/Big Sur and Yosemite on such weekends so I started investigating dispersed camping in those areas. Was a pain.

I investigated Los Padres National Forest areas. There is a north and south section.

I started from El Cajon and headed 5 to the 405 to 101 and turned up some road leading to Ojai. Stopped for a typical art show. Headed north out of there into Los Padres NF. Got higher and higher but there were no places to sneak off to camp (lots of gates). Drove in to one camp area knowing it was full. We drove on looking at a new Delorme Atlas and Gazetteer California that shows Forest Service roads. Found a side spot to camp that was too noisy because of farm trucks. Took a chance and moved on and found Sierra Madre road FS 32S13. The sign showed two destinations but we drove up about 5 miles up the switchbacks and found a delightful spot on a big turnout and stayed there. Saw one small pickup go up all night.

https://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/Vacation/Memorial-Day-2016-Day-One/

Drove out the next morning headed for the 101 and went to Hearst Castle. Did the third tour. Have done others earlier.

https://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/Vacation/Memorial-Day-Weekend-2016/

As we proceeded up the 1 after Hearst we tried to find a road I had investigated. The 1 for the most part is closed off going inland.

We found this road and headed up a very steep dirt road. Los Burros Road FS 23S01. Saw some folks camping right next to road. We eventually found a spot farther up where the forest was. Pretty nice after early evening folks quit coming up the hill.

https://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/Vacation/Memorial-Day-Day-Two-Campsite/

The next day I wanted to go up Naciemiento Fergusson Road, a narrow mountain road that rises from the coast into the drier inland going into Fort Liggett. If not stopped at the west gate you can go on the base. My wife heard what she thought was something in the tire. Ended up being live fire. A platoon was shooting their rifles at something to the south of the road. They keep ropes with little live fire signs to keep you from driving off the road and becoming a target.

https://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/Vacation/Memorial-Day-2016-Nacimiento/

After that we considered going to Pinnacles National Park to the north but it was too hot.

So we headed out to see how close to Yosemite we could get. Got caught in terrible Monday traffic. Dead stopped. Pulled off 101 in Castroville to cross over the 1. Was worse there. Chose a farm road between the highways to go north and ended up near the 101 again and saw a KOA. Stayed there and watched the traffic jam. Did not speed up until about midnight.

Took off for Yosemite on Tuesday. Got in and ranger said finding a spot to camp was not likely. I said I will try Crane Flat a non-reservation campground. What the ranger did not say was that campground was closed. Apparently weather this year trashed the bathrooms and water supply. They set up temporary stuff for the weekend but were now closed for repairs.

Tried another camp near the north entrance and found out from the ranger that just outside the gate was National Forest. He said drive a mile turn on evergreen street and look for any place in the woods. It was better than any place I stayed in Yosemite. Three people scattered around a huge area. Could not see anyone at night.

https://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/Vacation/Memorial-Day-Weekend-Yosemite/

Stayed a couple days and headed home. Stopped at Getty Center. Went home and sold the FWC and bought our Lance 650.

Attachments

• 5U9A4252-M.jpg
    5U9A4252-M.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 20160614_133536-M.jpg
    20160614_133536-M.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 147
Dorocks,nice trip and photos.
If you ever need a camp place near Cambria you might try the San Simeon SP the upper campground Washburn,is better.Nice views and now with no water there are not many people.
I know what you ran into in the Castroville area.
I live off that road and weekends or just about any time the traffic is slow.
Thanks for the report.
Frank

Gorgeous photos! And second what CERT said about San Simeon SP, spent a night there in March while driving south and while not my normal kind of place wasn't too bad a waypoint.

I have been to the San Simeon Campground before. I stopped by but as I expected it was full up.
I enjoyed the dispersed camping. Was cool at night. With my new camper I will even have a shower so dispersed camping is even less problematic. Keeps the body fumes under control. I have been driving the camper to work getting used to height issues. Haven't pulled the Jeep yet with it. May consider a rear sway bar. And I will have to be gentler on the rougher roads to isolated campgrounds.
The camp outside Yosemite was great. No hordes of people and driving into the park was easy from the north gate.

Nice report. Its awesome you guys found some nice spots without any reservations on a holiday weekend. Thanks for the tip on Yosemite.

Back
Top Bottom