Last Hurrah at Death Valley "For Sale"

pvstoy

Hello All,

Could “POP-UP BOWL – DEATH VALLEY DAYS” be the last hurrah?

I have decided to sell my truck and camper. I am the second owner of the 1983 Toyota 4x4 long bed truck that I bought in early 1986. We bought the FWC Ranger model new in 2001. In 1997 I replaced the original 4-cylinder engine with a Chevy V-8 small block 350 engine, and more recently a Chevy V-8 small block 400 stroker (6-inch rods). So it is newer than the manufacture date. There are just a couple of minor things I need to do before the truck is ready for sale.

I was hoping to sell the truck and camper as a pair, maybe to a person that wants to get into remote back country areas for hunting or fishing.

If time allows, (looks likely) we might make one last trip in it down to “Pop-up Bowl Death Valley Days” in mid-January. Then it’s back for one last cleaning. I’ll be spending some time writing out a list of “what’s in it”, and working out the final price. This list is as high as an elephant’s eye. The truck and camper have lived in the insulated garage, but have gotten out to all kinds of places for vacations.

Like Les, it is not the end of the adventures, just a new beginning with a different method of enjoying life and Wandering the West.

Hope to see you at Death Valley.

Attachments

• 080922CG2_001.jpg
    080922CG2_001.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 457
That's one of my favorite trucks. Knowing it has a 400 CID, I even like it better than my own. I can't wait to see the list.

The future...?

Pat,

Selling: ahh, too bad.

I think we will eventually end up with an 8' slide in or a smaller 5er to compliment our pop-up. Every setup is a comprise for one use or another; it's a matter of picking the right compromise.

So, why the change and what does the future hold? Bigger truck? Sportsmobile? Roof top tent?

Luke, (Patrick) come to the dark side!:D Honestly, sorry to hear that you are going to sell that terrific looking rig. Must have been a very difficult decision. Hope you stay here on the WTW forum, you have SO much to offer...Captainkettel... (Sportsmobile Owner-WTW Senior Member)

PV,

Sorry to hear you're selling that great truck, as I've said before it always reminds me of my last truck, the '82 Toyota long bed that served me so well for so long. What's your next rig going to be?

Thanks for the words

Now that the cat is out of the bag, I should drop the other shoe.

It is more of a financial move and planning for the future. I often joked that I’m going to be buried in it because I would never recoup money spent (and never will anyway). Been a FWC owner since 1993 and what a great time we have had.

Selling the truck was a plan for a while. Now I can’t really see spending for a brand new truck and Alaskan camper when retirement gets closer (~60 thousand plus).

So I have the Toyota 4-Runner and we will take delivery on a new 17’ Casita trailer. It is still small and light weight and looks like it will still handle our style. Still be able to go four wheeling with the Runner after locking up the Casita. We will see how over time this new route takes us.

The ’83 is built to go so many more places than we have done in the past years, so why not sell it to somebody that will enjoy it and push it to its limits as it was built to do. I started on the list and will post up the spec in a couple of days.

Looks like we will be attending “POP-UP BOWL – DEATH VALLEY DAYS” some of you may remember the television show Death Valley Days??

...some of you may remember the television show Death Valley Days??...

Seems like it was sponsored by "20 Mule Team Borax"...We thought of that show when we were at DV in November going through the borax extraction exhibit....Interesting exhibit. Wish we could make it back for the gathering and see that rig of yours in person.

Hope the Casita works out for you. Someone is going to get a very special rig in that Toy of yours...makes me smile every time I see a picture of it! Hope the new owner(s) keep us posted on its travels.

AKSB's

Working list in progress

Here is a short long list that I started for the most of it. Will be adjusting and settling on a price....

FOR SALE Selling as a matched pair.

1983 Toyota 4X4 Long bed Pickup
2001 Four Wheel Pop-Up Ranger Model

1983 Toyota Pickup
Engine
Professional custom built Chevy V-8 small block 400. Rods are longer than stock at 6-inch length. Edelbrock Pro-Flow Multi-Port Sequential Fuel Injection has keypad in cab for adjustments on the fly. Trick Flo Aluminum cylinder heads. Custom Erson cam shaft. Roller lifters and roller rocker arms. Evans waterless NPG+ coolant with total bypass thermostat. Power Steering. Air Conditioning. R & M heat exchanger hot water shower system. Premier Power welder and power supply with 160 AMP alternator…

Transmission and running gear
NV-4500 5 speed manual transmission with 0.75 overdrive and 5.61:1 first gear. Dual Toyota transfer cases with two shifters, front input shaft heavier 23 splined for torque. J. P. Eater adapter and 2.28:1 gears front case, 4.1:1 gears rear case. Final crawl ratio is 215:1. Dana 60 rear axle, Moser 1.5 inch 35 spline axles. 4.11:1 Dana gears, ARB air locker, Rear disc brakes with E brake, Longest traction bars allowing for articulation. Toyota stock front axle with Tru-Trac gear proportional locker, disc brake upgrade with Land Cruiser vented rotors and 4-Runner big caliper disc brakes. It has Toyota Land Cruiser brake master cylinder and clutch master cylinder. Custom made National Springs on all 4 corners. Rancho 9000 5 way adjustable shocks. Front and rear sway bars with disconnects. Tires are BF Goodrich 33x12.5x15, Spare is 33x9.50x15. Firestone Ride-Rite air compressor and small tank with pressure regulator to supply ARB locker and air up tires.

Miscellaneous
Renuel custom made front bumper ¼ inch steel and ½ inch mounting. Warn 8000 pound winch with dash control switch. Hella Ralley 4000 mounted on bumper, right Corning, left Euro driving. Hella fog lights mounted within bumper. Hella twin trumpet air horn mounted under bumper. Renuel rear bumper ¼ inch steel and ½ inch mounting. Custom rock skids to protect body between tires. Stock 16 gallon gas tank and 13.5 gallon gravity flow to main tank under the spare tire. Audiovox Electronic Cruise Control. Hand throttle on transmission shifter. Headlight wiring harness upgrade for brighter headlights.

2001 Four Wheel Pop-Up Ranger Model

Ranger is the 8 foot bed for smaller size pickups with 17 inch height side bed rails.

Camper features
3-Way Refrigerator. 16000 BTU Forced air furnace. 8 foot Fiamma awning. Side awning and back porch lights. Front sliding window. Deadbolt. Arctic Pack insulated liner. 2 roof vents. Front roof vent Fan-Tastic power vent. Shurflo water pump and faucet. 2 burner stove top with cover. 20 lb. LP gas tank with gauge. 12 gallon water tank. Hella map lights upper slide out Queen sized bed front wall for night reading. Storage closet. Mirror on back wall. Cable jacks free standing. Camper battery mounted in truck bed. Electronic interior water and battery meter. Wired LED DC volt meter. 300 watt power inverter.

Back
Top Bottom