Laural lakes

Darryla

A question, please. Does anyone know if the road to Laural Lakes is open? Or if it is not, when do you think it will be open? I called the local Ranger stations and there are no answers.

And by the way, when I get a new camera I will post some pictures. We have been camping most weekends since we got the camper in March. Last weekend we were up by Blue Lakes on 88. We camped at Scott Lake. We were the only camper up there. Nice to have an ATC.

Regards, Darryl

Fully Loaded ATC Bobcat, 2001 4x4 Tacoma Std Cab, Supersprings and rear stabilizer.

just left Mammoth

I just got back from Deadman creek north of Mammoth lakes. I asked the ranger if the road was passable in a regular truck. All I got was no, so I didnt inquire any further. If you decide to check it out and it does not pan out. Head north on 395 pass Smokey bear flats. The creek is flowing and plenty of trout. -Skeeter

Thanks, Skeeter

I will be going that way in a few weeks and have 4x4. Thank you. I appreciate your comments.

Darryl

Darryl and Skeeter,

We are looking to get away this weekend. Your comments caught my attention.

Darryl - Having a lake to yourself sounds wonderful! I know where Blue Lakes Road is but can't find anything called Scott Lake nearby. Any hints?

Skeeter - I was checking out Deadman Creek on Google Earth. Looks like pretty easy access. Were there many other people camping around there? I'm not much on fishing, but I do like catching.:D

Both of you - anything to be aware of at these sites? Think mosquitos, bears, ATV's, parties.

Thanks, Ted

lower deadman creek

Ted,
We were at lower Deadman creek for 10 days and had only three mosquitos! They just opened the upper campground when we left, and I would recommend going there. No bears and never saw any scat or prints. During the Memorial weekend suffered plenty of ATV'ers tearing the place apart. During the weekday had it all to our selfs. Did see a Bobcat and a few Coyotes pass through. If you continue on down the main road, you willl find several beautiful campsites along the river. Plenty of stocked Rainbows and firewood. The best part is it is all free. Be sure to get your fire permit in Bishop before you go. I will load pictures later, I just moved back home after being gone 14 months! We did explore the Buttermilks also, but it was a little too warm for me. The Eastern Sierras is the place to be! -Skeeter

Scott Lake

Hi Ted: Scott Lake is a little north past the turn off to Blue Lakes if you are going north east, on the left before the turn off to 89. You are looking for a dirt road to the left, go 1/2 mile thru the flat area amoungst the trees where the trailers are camping along the foot of the mountain. Turn left up the hill(you will go through and open damaged green gate) and stay on the main dirt road (about 3 miles). You will run right into it. If you know where Crater lake is, its a few miles north on the same side of 88 up a dirt road.

We saw no animals and experienced no bugs. But, always keep your family close where you can see and hear them.

Have fun and be safe.

Darryl

a few pics

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Thanks for the replys. Now I want to go to go explore both locations. I should have been more clear on my list of things to be aware of. Misquitos and ATVs are annoyances. Critters are good. Especially seeing a bobcat. That is cool!

Darryl, thanks for the details. How is the road to the lake? Any need for 4wd? It doesn't look bad on Google earth but I have made the mistake before of trying a road based on the aerial photo and regretting it.

Skeeter, great shots. The mountain views along 395 are always stunning. The scoop about more sites along the river sounds like our favorite kind of locations. Its a bit of a drive for us to get to Mammoth, so that probably won't happen this weekend, but is going on the must do list.

Thanks again. Now if the afternoon thunderstorms stop by this weekend, we're all set.:p

The road to Scott Lake

Hi Ted: You will have no trouble with the road to Scott Lake. You may encounter some mud early on, but the two spots are it. Actually, I saw a couple of cars make it up there. I would not drive my car, but they did it. Its kind of a strange lake lake. You will either think its interesting as it has a lot of dead trees sticking out of it, or you will not like it. It may grow on you. Its an interesting walk around the south side of which you cannot see until you walk it. Also if you go soon, you can walk up the waterfall.

The few ATV's I saw were very quite from my point of view.

Regards,

Darryl

I was in Mammoth this past weekend and the road to Laurel is open. I didn't make it to the lakes as my transfer case decided to disintegrate on me......Instead we camped at syphine tub and had a great few days soaking.

However, snow is covering the road just past the meadow, a few miles before the lakes and is not passable beyond that.

Back
Top Bottom