Lava Tubes Nat. Monument camping

Lobo

Other than Lava Tubes Nat. Monument camping, does anyone know of places to park a 4 wheel camper off road in that area?
National forest areas? I'm taking the camper up to check out eagles and hawks in the Lower Klamath Basin...mostly on
the Califonia side of the state line.

We did that last winter. There really are very few camping options up there. Lava Beds is the closest campground. If you prefer to boondock, just outside of the park boundary to the south is Forest Service Road 44N21. We have driven about a half mile out on that and camped.
If you are willing to drive a bit further, Eagle Ridge County Park on Upper Klamath Lake is open year round. We stayed there one night. The bay was frozen over and the sounds the ice made were fascinating. Nobody else out there at all. You can also do a day trip to Crater Lake from there.
It is impressive to see multiple eagles. Have fun.

Yeh, Ted's right about that-especially this time of year-most of the BLM and FS Campgrounds and public lands in general are in bad shape and roads are pretty muddy. Try calling the FS Ranger Station in Tule Lake or the BLM office in Alturas or K-Falls, they could give you an update on the condition of roads and CG's in the area and probably tell you where the "dry" places are out there-I worked to many years up in that country and it's wet now and probably no fun in most of the back country areas. There are lot's of rarely visited areas and some neat primitive CG's on and near the Pit River, Medicine Lake and Fall River Mills areas that may be open now-and it's worth a call to the BLM/FS.

Smoke

We did that last winter. There really are very few camping options up there. Lava Beds is the closest campground. If you prefer to boondock, just outside of the park boundary to the south is Forest Service Road 44N21. We have driven about a half mile out on that and camped.
If you are willing to drive a bit further, Eagle Ridge County Park on Upper Klamath Lake is open year round. We stayed there one night. The bay was frozen over and the sounds the ice made were fascinating. Nobody else out there at all. You can also do a day trip to Crater Lake from there.

Ted,
I camped at Lava Beds and it worked out fine. The eagles were quite impressive. I'm trying to attach a photo so you can check out an unusual bald eagle.
Thanks,
jim/lobo

Back
Top Bottom