leaks while driving

beachbunny

Advanced Member
how many of you have water leaks while driving? water driven through window velcro?

What window do you have that is leaking? The front sliding window (to the cab) of my old (1998) Shell would leak, but that window was NLA in my 2016 Grandby. I believe the reason FWC no longer offers the sliding front window is because they leaked and they had too many complaints.

Ive never had a leak through the velcro windows while driving and I have been through some hellacious downpours.

Are your clasps adjusted to the right tension keeping the roof tight when clamped down?

I wonder if they could be loose or at least not tight enough to provide a good seal?

Not heard of many problems on new campers with water coming in the pop-up windows while driving.

But I have seem water come in when the customer, or our staff borrowing campers, does not gently stretch each window flap up tightly, one flap at a time, and run their fingers across the Velcro all the way around the window, once or twice. Repeat this for the 2nd privacy flap. If there are any wrinkles, is creates a small area for water to possibly creep in.

My Camper had the same issue, leak was failure of the weather seal strip in the front that wraps around to the sides. Hawk is a 2005, and the hollow section of the stripping had collapsed from age. I inserted a piece of 1/8 vacuum line into it to restore it's shape and have never had a leak while driving since. I doubt this would be an issue on a newer camper but it is a concern as it will leak there also if your cam latches are not adjusted properly

patrkbukly said:
Yea im not suggesting that, just asking if they are the proper tension.
It may be very helpful for FWC owners to expand upon what is proper tension, from the owners manual to what experienced owners have found with use.

yes, that would definitely help,gorilla tight depends on the individual gorilla.
this deal was buggered from the getgo

Stan@FourWheel said:
Not heard of many problems on new campers with water coming in the pop-up windows while driving.

But I have seem water come in when the customer, or our staff borrowing campers, does not gently stretch each window flap up tightly, one flap at a time, and run their fingers across the Velcro all the way around the window, once or twice. Repeat this for the 2nd privacy flap. If there are any wrinkles, is creates a small area for water to possibly creep in.
thanks stan. i start from the bottom,kinda pull out and up ,seal, then other side , same way, then secure the top,then a second all around pressing, same with privacy window.
Good?

I run my hand up the center of each flap then press velcro out to each corner with some tension to avoid any wrinkles. That said I have not encountered too much rain in a few years now.

Another thing to check; be sure the canvas is folding correctly and out of the way. In cold weather when the canvas is stiff it sometimes requires a bit of attention so its not caught in the weather seal.

we had a leak recently on a winter trip. snow stuck to side of camper windownmesh and then some of the worst rain down pour for the drive home down in the lowlands. The snow was sticking to the mesh kinda like one was spraying concrete on a ferro cement reinforced mesh! Pretty high winds packing it in. The moisture was on the windward side of the camper I.m hopeing it doesnt reoccur. I wil recheck the closure of velcro around the windows The trip was storm skiing pretty much the whole time(to our delight). hoopy

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom