Learn from my mistakes :(

XJINTX

Trip this past week and I had some soup spill inside my refrige. Cleaned while on trail and not a real big deal. Got home and decided to clean better. I MISTAKENLY took the shelves and door pockets inside to put in Dishwasher. The Blue shelf top for the vegetable bin and the top to the Butter tray in door are NOT DISHWASHER SAFE!!! they are now melted and deformed into unusable. Not sure if I was warned but, if so, I forgot.

I'm having a hard time finding replacements... Dometic CR-80 seems they sell through dealers and my only 2 local dealers say I need to look elsewhere.

Anyone have a source?

I bought my Dometic fridge through Camping World. They didn't carry the fridge I wanted in stock but I was able to call Dometic directly (CW gave me the number to call) and order it through the CW account. They delivered it to my house and honored a CW coupon that I had.

So you might try there.

Well I'm a bit further Thanks Craig. I have discovered why I can't find a local RV shop that can find my model parts list. Apparently the CR-80 is a Marine or Semi unit. I was given their USA number for Marine/Semi in Florida . The Dometic company only sells to dealers. So if I can get the part number a dealer can order. However the Lady on the Dometic service center can't find a parts list for my model. She was VERY NICE and is still looking. She took my number and will call me back. She thinks it's no longer made :(

:( She got me a part number but they do not stock any longer it appears. I have to try and find a USA dealer that may have one in stock. The # 40-91-13PT6C7 no google results. I guess toady I will start calling around. I will try and get to Camper World this weekend it's 90 miles away :( Maybe there is a substitute part I can put in?

If I were in your shoes, and ended up not being able to obtain the part, there's a local plastics shop that could make one, given the proper dimensions (including the 90 degree bend in the front).

Good luck.

DesertDave said:
If I were in your shoes, and ended up not being able to obtain the part, there's a local plastics shop that could make one, given the proper dimensions (including the 90 degree bend in the front).

Good luck.
Good idea!

For future thought.
I think when the item reads 'Not dishwasher safe"
It means not to use the DRYING cycle,as that is the electric unit
in the bottom.
I don't think just hot water in the DW would melt plastic.Just a thought.
Good luck with the replacements.
Frank

OK I had a "Maguyver Moment" I set my oven at 150 and put the shelf in between two cookie sheets with some oven safe bowls on it for weight. Watched closely and took out when looked straight. Guess what it worked for the most part. Still a slight indentation on the back edge but will work.

I will keep looking and se if we have a plastic shop locally.

Craig, I will post a pic in awhile... THANKS

XJINTX said:
OK I had a "Maguyver Moment" I set my oven at 150 and put the shelf in between two cookie sheets with some oven safe bowls on it for weight. Watched closely and took out when looked straight. Guess what it worked for the most part. Still a slight indentation on the back edge but will work.

I will keep looking and se if we have a plastic shop locally.

Craig, I will post a pic in awhile... THANKS
Sweet. Wish I could have taken the aluminum water heater tank and re-formed it after not getting it filled properly and using it with apparently little water in it. Had to replace it at a cost of $750.

Craig, here are two pics. The shelf is 10.5" deep and 15.5" wide. I can use as is but I'm OCD and would like to replace ;)

Attachments

• 20180127_114526.jpg
    20180127_114526.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 20180127_114535.jpg
    20180127_114535.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 114
View attachment 30394 if you guys are learning from mistakes here is on Big One DON't Forget To Drain your Hot Water Tank in cold weather,
I went on a trip to Montana over the holidays stop for the night need hot water OK went on my way did not drain the water
temp at 0 to 20 for two weeks did not use water for that time,until its time to go home notice bulge on the side of the camper
My hart drop I know what I forgot to do.
View attachment 30394View attachment 30395IMG_0710.JPG
This was my task for last week to change out the hot water tank.

Now I have put a drain vale in the hot water tank Drain Plug, that way I don't need tools to drain tank just open valve.

Wow. Thanks for posting, RZHawk. Sorry to see that happen.

So I assume we're looking at a tank from an Atwood water heater (judging by the inlet and outlet positions) and presumably it's a six-gallon model like many of our members have.

We're looking at it on an odd angle in the photo so I rotated it to show it fairly close to the the orientation it would have in the camper wall...

(click to enlarge)

AtwoodHotWaterTankSplitRotated.jpg

And here's a graphic representation of what's inside...

WaterHeaterGraphic.jpg

(In trying to visualize this, note that the inlet and outlet are on the right in the top photo but on the left in the graphic.)

It's interesting to see where the ice split it. I imagine yours had the normal air expansion pocket shown in the graphic and that saved it for a short time, but then the ice filled the entire tank and pushed until the aluminum broke.

I wonder if that's how they typically split.

Also-- I was surprised to read you had a bulge on the side of the camper. Did you happen to take a photo of that bulge? Was that above the access door?

Again, thanks for posting.

PS- the graphic is from the BeamAlarm Atwood Water Heater Troubleshooting manual.

OK...on hot water heater draining..in my '16 Hawk draining the tank is not done by removing the external plug but by opening the lower hot water tank line valve in the cabinet with the water pump thereby draining all but about 1 gal or less back into the main water tank and then out the external system drain...hope my memory is correct on this after all it has been 5 months.. :D

I've wondered when FWC started the drain-back-to-the-main-tank procedure.

It just occurred to me that the owner's manuals on FWC's web site may show that.

I just went through them and see....

The top two, the 2017 and 2012-2016 manuals do have that procedure.

The 2011 and 2010 manuals recommend removing the nylon plug in the hot-water tank (I believe because that was before FWC had added the line going back to the tank in their plumbing design.)

The 2004 - 2009 manual says to use the metal drain cock in the tank plug. (And the photos are of Suburban, not Atwood, water heaters).

The 1970s - 1980s manual has no information or photos on water heaters.

I don't believe we can depend 100 per cent on the manual years as shown. I see, for instance, that photos of esimmer's 2009 Hawk in his Inside Cabinet Take-Apart post appear to show an Atwood water heater while the info above suggests it would have a Suburban one.

OK question from Texas boy ;) Do we need to worry about draining if only in below freezing temps for a day or two? Should I drain every night in 32 ish weather?

Back
Top Bottom