Leavitt Meadows - Father's Day Weekend

super doody

It seems as though for the last couple of trips our plan A has never worked out. Ever since seeing pictures of Leavitt Lake, I have been wanting to get out there for its beauty, remoteness and to test the offroad capabilities of my truck/camper despite the fact that when you have a relatively easy to moderate trail and a beautiful remote lake, possibilities of encountering knuckle head are high.

We were all set to get going when I called the ranger station to make sure the trail was open. When I called 1.5 months ago, the ranger told me that they received some late season rain so the trail would be closed for 3 weeks so I was expecting the thumbs up this time. The trail was till closed due to staffing, issues and endanger species. They needed to complete more surveys before opening the trail.

I was still set on checking out the area so we headed out and crossed my fingers for a slime chance that the gate would be open. Plan B was to stay Leavitt Meadow campground or disperse camp somewhere.

Friday night, we didn't hit the road till 7 pm. We thought about bondocking somewhere near pinecrest but we spent the night at my inlaws in Valley Springs.

Below are some pictures from our trip. Highlight of the trip was definitely hiking to Secret lake. The hot (high 80s), dry high elevation air definitely made it interesting.

I'll provide more commentary later tonight:

Our campsite

The river below us. The family of 4 next to us limited out on trout that day. Forgot the rod but brought the reel and tackle. Doh!

Quick lunch before we hit the trail. We didn't know about the trails so by chance the trail head was right by our campsite.

Pristine single track. Didn't find a single piece of trash. Very few people on the trail.

Both my daughter and dog cool off in the lake.

After the 3 hr hike, we were glad to head back to the camper where we had cold ice t and beer waiting for us.

Looks like fun for all of you! Plan B's and Plan C's; we've had a lot of experience with that. Go with the flow, travel safe, and have fun! We are waiting for more! :)

Made some grammar and typo edits in the original post.

Sonora Pass and Low Gears

Leavitt meadow is basically on the east facing side of the sierras. This is our first time to the area. The closest we got was in 2013 when we camped at Eureka Valley campsite when my wife 6 months pregnant with our daughter.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/7453-north-fork-stanislaus-river/

Sonora pass is one of the steepest paved road I have ever driven. There is a reason why there are no motor homes on the east of sonora pass. Leavitt meadow camp sites are on the small side but perfect for truck campers. We arrived a little before noon on Sat. and still found a nice river side spot.

While coming down the east side of the pass into Leavitt meadow, I found that even in the lowest gear, I still had to use a good amount of brakes. I heated them up to a point where there was noticeable decrease in stopping power. Stupid me didn't realize that I still had to push a button on the dash to really get the truck into 1st gear. This is still a relatively new to me truck. I did study the owner's manual but the language was bit unclear and vague on how to get the truck into 1st gear while in 2wd. With a fully load camper, 3 passengers and 1 dog, I definitely need 1st on the drive back on the pass.

So in the end plan B worked out. Having a truck camper just made going with the flow a lot easier even with a toddler. We are still very stoked on the new setup. On Sunday we stopped in Stockton for Father's day brunch with my inlaws. It was tremendously hot for us coast siders. The good new is that my fridge ran below 35 degrees all weekend with barely any impact on my batteries.

Just did that drive too we were up in Virgina Lakes and came over 108. The Sequoia with 5 on board and our 900lb 4x6 trailer. I tried that 1st gear button but didnt get a response so just worked on getting off the brakes every chance I could. We seemed to make it without any fade but I was expecting it. For sure steep! The old 4.7 seemed to like the premium gas on the way back and was happy but working hard getting over the pass.

CALIcamperdad said:
Just did that drive too we were up in Virgina Lakes and came over 108. The Sequoia with 5 on board and our 900lb 4x6 trailer. I tried that 1st gear button but didnt get a response so just worked on getting off the brakes every chance I could. We seemed to make it without any fade but I was expecting it. For sure steep! The old 4.7 seemed to like the premium gas on the way back and was happy but working hard getting over the pass.
CALI,

What year is your Sequoia? If its the same generation as my truck 2006, its similar to my truck. You have to shift into L then push the L button on the dash. You probably have to be below 10 mph when shifting to 1st gear.

super doody said:
CALI,

What year is your Sequoia? If its the same generation as my truck 2006, its similar to my truck. You have to shift into L then push the L button on the dash. You probably have to be below 10 mph when shifting to 1st gear.
07. Id guess your right about the speed needing to be lower. Ill need to fool with it at home and sort out how to drop to 1st.

Back
Top Bottom