LED bulb for porch light

Advmoto18

I've noted many comments by others who have swapped out their incandescent bulb for a LED bulb in the porch light.

Can someone please provide a link for an LED bulb they've used for the swap out?

Also, is there a source for a clear lens to replace the amber lens?

I also noticed in a recent post on Expedition Portal that the mother company now installs a clear lens LED unit for the porch light, I wonder if this is a easy swap-out and plug-n-play unit?

Screenshot_2018-04-07_08.56.20.png

Thanks for any info.

Bill

The bulb in your porch light should be a common 1156 automotive bulb. That’s an easy conversion to a LED unit, most auto parts store will have it. You can also google 1156 to LED and get numerous responses.

I think the porch light is also a common piece at most camper dealers and parts suppliers.

I put an LED on my porch light with the amber lens and it gives off such a nice warm glow I leave it on all night.

Why do you want to change the lens color? If you already have an amber lens, buy an LED bulb that puts out white light. If you have a clear lens, buy an amber/yellow LED.

Also think about how bright you want it to be. When I bought mine 18 months ago, most of the LED replacements I found were not as bright as the original incandescent bulbs. This is really noticable in brake lights, for example. They also come in a variety of configurations, lumen outputs, and color temp.

Beware of those that say they "give no error codes". Some do that by simply putting in a resistor that drains as much current as the original did... so no power savings!

The LED that I replaced mine with is bright enough to cook by on my swing away. I wouldn't want an amber colored lens or bulb to cook with. 340 lumens I believe. Ron

nikonron said:
The LED that I replaced mine with is bright enough to cook by on my swing away. I wouldn't want an amber colored lens or bulb to cook with. 340 lumens I believe. Ron
Where did you source your light Ron?

I have the side and down LED light option on the Hawk. I prefer the clear, white light on the back as well. I will use it for a task light. We hardly use the amber porch light now. If we've used it 5 times in 3 years, that would be a high side guess.

Advmoto18 said:
Where did you source your light Ron?

I have the side and down LED light option on the Hawk. I prefer the clear, white light on the back as well. I will use it for a task light. We hardly use the amber porch light now. If we've used it 5 times in 3 years, that would be a high side guess.
I found mine on EBay, they're hard to come by, I'll do some searching. Ron

I couldn't find a 340 but 280 should be enough for a simple task light...hopefully.

Ron, thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Just ordered the 280.

Hello Advmoto
keep an eye out for the K info on the bulbs you order 5000 is a very bright white light. 3500-4000 you will find softer but not yellow like a incandescent bulb.
ATC is using a flat led panel stuck to the inside of the fixture, with a bayonet bulb type on leads so it fits like a reg. bulb.
I change out one bulb inside on two ceiling fixtures so we can have soft light on the single bulb or bright lighting with both bulbs switched on.

Russ

Thx Russ...
I suspect the one I ordered will be exceptionally "bright white" light at 6 - 6.5K. But that will be ok since I'm looking more for a task light then a light for ambiance.

XJINTX said:
Am I missing something? Both my clear side light and the rear amber lights have the LED replacement that looks a bit like a circuit board. Is that not factory? Mine is a 2015 Hawk I'm only owner. I have issues with the switch but light is fine? Something like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-24-SMD-921-194-T10-LED-Bulb-Pure-White-Wedge-Super-Bright-For-Boat-RV-Trail/152923717633?hash=item239af6c001:g:QXgAAOSwwf9alIsY&vxp=mtr
If you like the light, there is nothing wrong with that style

Back
Top Bottom