LED light change?

I stopped by O'Reilly Auto and picked up some Dupli-color red lens paint and sprayed it on one of my len's and it worked great. I put four light coats on the exterior side of the lens. One side of the light fixture does a good job of lighting the inside of the camper. Please don't laugh, but I got a little anal and cleaned the exterior side of the lens with lacquer thinner, got it off before it did much damage, light still came out great, clean with soap and water only.

Does anyone have a link for the plastic cover for the lights? I think having an extra one painted/tinted red would suffice.

As far as nocturnal trips to relieve oneself I like using an orange or yellow nalgene bottle and staying in the camper. Then just dump it in the am. Never drink from an orange or yellow nalgene. Plus you can measure your output.

Nocturnal visits aren't the only reason to have a red light. Checking on the dog, time, suspicious noises where you'd rather not alert anyone (may or may not work there). Reaching for the tums, all kinds of stuff where not blinding yourself is useful.

3500K is about the right color for me. Not as "warm" as some folks like, but shows colors pretty well. In the fluorescent fixtures in my shop, I have three 3500K bulbs and one "daylight" 6800K. This is pretty "warm" but not real yellow (like 2700K would be) and shows colors well. LED bulb sellers don't always give the color temperature, but just words like "warm" or "white", so it's hard to tell what you will end up with. Just have to try it.

I have a small red flashlight for going around at night. Also, my head-lights have a red setting, which is great, except that you have to cycle throught a couple of white outputs to get to the red. The blast of bright white light totally wrecks night vision!

I put a yellow LED in the "porch" light on my Fleet, but I'm going to try a red bulb, if I can find one. I'm not sure how much red light will come through the amber lens.

- Bernard

We too have become annoyed with the blueness of our LEDS. I'm looking for a tinted plastic sheet that will transmit the light while warming it a bit. Essentially a thin lamp shade that will be cut to an appropriate shape and screw to the existing fixture.
Will post pictures once I find the material.

Back
Top Bottom